CLOSED: Madras Cafe

Contact 858-695-6229

9484 Black Mountain Rd (at Miramar Rd), San Diego, California, USA, 92126

Vegetarian Indian restaurant featuring South Indian food. Has lunch buffet. Simple decor. AUG 2014 CONFIRMED SHUT, LEASE EXPIRED, PHONE NOT WORKING. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet

First Review by Eatnothingwitheyes

Excellent Southern Indian fare - Edit

I've dined at the Madras Cafe for several years. Maybe eight dinners and one lunch buffet. Most recently in July 2011. Vibrant dishes, fairly quick service.

I've been with a variety of friends, some very savvy, some newcomers to this cuisine. Reactions have ranged from very pleased/surprised to ecstatic, mostly the latter.

Service is pleasant, and very responsive. Decor is simple. Lightly remodeled a year or so ago, it seems a lot less noisy when crowded.

There is an excellent variety of dishes. The Thali's are a great deal and excellent if you want somewhere to start (i.e. variety in one dish), though I think they are only on Thursdays. We always share and get a wide variety.
The lunch buffet is a good way to sample a variety if you are not dining with
a group.

If you are unsure, ask for guidance from either the staff or other diners, though I don't think you can go wrong. All of the dosas (I think we've had all of them) have been great. The Uttapam fantastic. The okra is wonderful and has been thoroughly enjoyed by two okra-hating friends.

Pros: Fine, fresh dishes, Very reasonable prices, Helpful staff

Cons: No cons of the cafe, Parking lot can get crowded.

Great South Indian Food--Plus Lunch Buffet - Edit

I love this place! They have a great lunch buffet which usually includes a small masala dosa, idli, sambar and several vegetable dishes, among a few other items. If you go for dinner, Tuesday-Thursday are the best days as the have reasonably priced thalis (with a huge amount of food).

Pros: good food, decent prices, lunch buffet

Cons: AC system doesn't always work well

Best South Indian Restaurant In San Diego - Edit

Everything I have tasted there is nicely done. I keep ordering the Masala Dosa, because it is the only place in San Diego that I have found that really knows how to make a good one. The lunch buffet is reasonably priced and satisfying. It has a plain, comfortable family atmosphere with a no frills decor.

Pros: excellent food, Vegetarian, Buffet is a good value

Cons: Temperature regulation needs improvement

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Madras Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 639 times since Aug 2007.