First Review by souchan_mama

Just So-So - Edit

On street parking - metered. Inside clean and comfortable.

Ordering was a little difficult even when ordering by item number. English not the first language. Food was just so-so. Nothing special. Somewhat bland unless you ordered the hot/spicy - which was very hot (they did warn you though - I like it that way), but not flavorfull

Shared with adjacent Indian food restaurant (actually walked between restaurants through a common door in the back. They try to keep strictly vegetarians on one side.

Service was slow and matter of fact - no personality.

Cons: Food so-so, slow

Good, authentic South Indian, Inefficient Service - Edit

This is a typical South Indian restaurant that is characterized by relatively good, authentic food true to the South Indian cuisine, but inefficient service. It is a small restaurant that apparently shares its management and kitchen with an adjoining North Indian restaurant (that is not vegetarian). While the menu here is all vegetarian, it is not clear whether the cooking in the kitchen is segregated or not. In any case, there wa just one person in the restaurant who sat us, took our order, brought the dishes, cleared the tables, and was responsible for accepting payments. However, after a 10 minute wait for the check, I went up to the counter and insisted on making the payment. This was all after it took for ever for our orders to emerge from the kitchen. People were waiting for well over 20 minutes for their orders, highly unusual in a fast moving south Indian restaurant. This is enough to leave a bad taste evn though the food ws quite good.

Pros: Value, Authentic

Cons: Service

Best Indian vegetarian - Edit

This place serves great vegetarian Indian food! The spices and other ingredients taste fresh and the food is not too oily or heavy. I've never had a bad dish there, but my favorites are bhel puri, spring dosa, and either the North and South thalis if I'm hungry. I love the kheer (rice pudding), which is amazingly delicate and not too sweet. Plus the staff is very friendly. I could probably eat there every day.

PS- some people might remember it by the former name Veggie Express.

Return to Hackensack Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Madras Bistro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1769 times since Nov 2009.