First Review by naouk

Awful - Edit

Had take out after reading some good reviews.
Came home to find out we had no rice with our meals with portions already being really small.

Lady at the 'restaurant' was not really interested in helping us when we wanted to order anyway, so I guess she wasn't interested in us coming back. Ever.

Cons: Bad service, Small portions, Only receiving part of the order

Mmmm... - Edit

We just bought some "different" indian food in the shop because the lady in the kitchen told us that nothing is vegan there because they always use milk. It sounded a bit strange to us, but fine: going to the near Vegetarian Food Studio was absolutely better.

Great Snackie Things - Edit

I am a Cardiff Resident who was introduced to Madhavs some 20 or so years ago when I bought my first house.
I was living on a shoestring and to help pay the bills I had a lodger who was a vegetarian ( eating nothing with an eye in it except for a potato ). We were actually good mates too and people would describe us as The Cardiff Roux Brothers as he would deal with the veggies and I the fish and meat.
Madhavs was a Saturday morning thing initially. We would take a strole down the road to be greeted by the fantastic aroma of spices filling the air leading us to the counter like a bee to the hive.
Its Indian home cooking served up hot and cheap. Fresh spicy and full flavoured.
Yes there are better places with a greater variety but this place is the original. Always a warm welcome whoever or whatever you are.
Old Man Madhav has educated me over the years in the use of the obscure vegetables and fayre and his wife on how to utilise the best spices for a dish.
Get down there, throw your snobery out the window and try the Lentil Balls, Potato Balls, Samosa or in fact anything from the short menu.
Spend £2 per dish and you will alway keep coming back.
Amazing

We love Madhavs - Edit

Although the choice is limited, what is there is lovely and good value. Recommend the Bhelpuri, biryani or the lentil balls. Some of the other dishes are close to limit of what I can cope with spice wise, but my more chilli tolerant mates rave about it.

Good and Fresh - Edit

Madhav is pretty similar to the nearby Vegetarian Food Studio. It is attached to a vegetarian grocery store (with many Indian/Asian products), which is nice. There are not as many options on the menu as at VFS, but it is a pretty fresh meal. After ordering our dishes we heard chopping and frying; it's an open kitchen so you see them and hear them making your food. Very small operation with one woman doing the cooking. The bread seemed like it was just packaged bread, but the rest of the food was really good. We were only visiting Cardiff, not from there, so having both Madhav and VFS nearby was nice; we got to try both and if visiting it is nice to go to both and compare them. There are also sweets at Madhav but not sure if they make them.

Return to Cardiff Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Madhav closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3801 times since Apr 2012.