Madame K's Vegetarian Cafe

• Vegan
Contact 03-94156099

367 Brunswick St, Fitzroy, Victoria,

Extensive Asian food menu with dishes like Thai style curry, Indonesian gado gado salad, Chinese style fried rice, and soba noodle. Opened in spring 2012 as vegetarian and became all vegan as of Dec 2013.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Asian

First Review by bendrum72

Expected more - Edit

The menu looks heavenly, all vegan food from all corners of asia. I had the miso glazed aubergine and the soba noodle salad. The salad was quite tasty, although nothing too special, but the aubergine didn't taste like much. For the relatively high prices I had hoped for something more.

good food, nice place - Edit

Have been a few times and never let down.
Food is always good and it's a nice quiet place to chill out and have dinner.
Pretty convincing mock meat.
But they don't sell alcohol now which I thought they did the first time.

MK - Edit

Madame K's is definitely worth a visit or 3. They can be a little hit & miss; but when on form, the fare is well above average. The Japanese curry as well as the Tom Kha soup have been the stand out dishes for me so far.
We recently enjoyed a banquet at Madame K's and while the communication and mathematics somehow became very confused, the quality of the food well and truly appeased all who attended.

Pros: Completely Vegan, Generally very high quality food

Magical Kindness Volition - Edit

Came here on the 10th of Jan with my best friend. 2nd time coming.
We had won Ton soup, Madame K's pancakes, Panang curry, sum Choy bow. And affogato for dessert.

All of them were delicious, missing something this time round for the 5 star. Attentive service. Great atmosphere and art and vibes around this place. I recommend checking out for the flavours ;) get that palette going!!

Pros: filling, delicious, atmosphere

Quiet achiever - Edit

Madame K's is often on the quieter side among it's busier rivals, however they are capable of some delicious and beautifully presented curries. I have found some dishes on the menu not so enjoyable, but it's worth a few visits to find your favourites.

During busier times, the service has been a little scatty but overall the staff are friendly and helpful.

Portions are well sized and reasonably priced.

Special K - Edit

An excellent Asian food restaurant. The service seemed a little strained when it got busy busy but they managed. It's clean, it's smart - no wow factor but it's all round good.

The kids struggled to like anything here but that just meant more good stuff for the parents. There was one salad - I can't remember the name of it now - that was mostly raw plants with a modest sprinkling of some warm plant-meat and a fantastic dressing and it was one of the best and refreshing dishes I've eaten in a long time.

Pros: All vegan, Yummo

Cons: Unfortunate name- should be vegan cafe, not vegetarian cafe

Not a very balanced meal - Edit

I had high hopes for Madame K's but was very disappointed. The decor looked very upmarket, there was a reasonable drinks menu and the food descriptions looked amazing.

Unfortunately, they appeared to have taken typical Thai dishes and attempted to "vegify" them. For example I ordered some dumplings. They were essentially filled with potatoes and very light on protein (tofu, beans or fresh vegetables). The vegetarian Japanese style curry was the biggest disappointment - packet Japanese curry with vegetables (mainly potatoes) served with a dollop of mashed potatoes. No beans, no tofu and very little in the way of vegetables.

I can only hope that the chef was having an off day but I am not prepared to go back to find out. The staff were not very friendly, some of the hot dishes were lukewarm and worse of all it was quite expensive for what you get.

There are much better veggie options in that part of town to choose from.

Pros: Lovely decor, Reasonable drinks list, 100% vegetarian

Cons: Poor service, Lack of vegetables!, Expensive and poor value

One of my veggie favourites! - Edit

I have eaten at Madame ks four times on different trips to Melbourne. One of my veggie friends introduced me and told me to eat the Thai lamb salad because 'it will change your life'. My partner and I loved it! My meat-eating boyfriend even said 'would would anyone eat real lamb when this stuff tastes even better??'

We have eaten a variety of dishes including Thai curries, salads (prawn salad is great too!) and desserts all if which have been great. All the people I've eaten there with have thoroughly enjoyed their meals too :)

Service has always been good and restaurant has a nice feel. Overall very enjoyable experience every meal shared at Madame ks! Don't forget to book on Saturday nights as was very busy when we went on a weekend.

Pros: Food!, Ambience , Staff

Hit and Miss... - Edit

Madame K's' menu items are all very enticing so we thought we would try two entrees ('small plates' on the menu) to begin with, just to share. We were shocked with the items we were served. The peking duck dish consisted of two tiny pancakes with a minuscule amount of filling. It tasted as it should have, but for $11.90 (the price of a main at many other Australian veg restaurants), it was simply risible. The other entree was miso glazed eggplant. Having had this dish elsewhere, including in Japan, I knew what to expect. However, the four small circles of eggplant were undercooked and the miso flavour was very light. Again, ridiculous at $8.90.

The biggest laughs, however, came with our orders of 'large plate' (this is the menu category) dishes: the plates themselves were large, but the food on those plates was thoroughly insubstantial. Worst of all, Madame K's seems to provide the cheapest veggies possible in miserly amounts. I guess it matches well with the tiny amounts of the mock-meat protein on each plate.

We did better with the prawn salad, however. Our crispy prawn salad was a decent portion size, with freshly deep-fried mock prawns and a nice pile of greens and cherry tomatoes. Unfortunately, after having consumed what should have been the perfect quantity of food, we were so hungry that we ordered another main meal. And we were all so glad we did! The soba salad turned out to be the best dish of the day. Crispy chunks of mock chicken served on a mountain of soba noodles with a very nicely flavoured dressing. A truly winning combination which was more than enough to share between five still-hungry diners.

Madame K's is worth a visit, but perhaps it's best to have a look at what the diners next to you are getting and learn from their orders. The 'large plate' meals are definitely over-priced. We were also concerned with the melamine plates we were eating off, as well as the chipped enamel dish on which our pancakes were served; where's the china? This sort of presentation does not match the prices on the menu, nor the upmarket atmosphere of the place. When Madame K's is full, it is very hard to hear yourself think. Oh, and you must love red onion if you come here: every dish that appeared at our table had a good dose of uncooked red onion on it!!
Updated from previous review on Friday January 31, 2014

Pros: Salads and noodles, Friendly staff

Cons: Overpriced 'large plate' dishes, Cheap and old crockery, Very noisy environment

by far the best - Edit

Had a brilliant main and dessert here. Well prepared food, very tasty and the service and ambience was icing on the cake. Definitely returning here.

Pros: food, cost, ambience

Extensive menu, innovative food. - Edit

The menu is extensive, with vegan and gluten free items clearly marked. It is licensed as well. Service is warm and helpful, Noise levels are good, you can hear each other at the table. Nice ambiance and service.

The menu is divided into sections and includes
• About six types of salad (such as gado gado),
• Soups such as Thom Kha Musketeers - Thai style soup with coconut milk, fresh herbs, mushroom, baby corn and tofu topped with spring onion.
• Entrees such as miso eggplant Japanese style grilled eggplant with sweet Miso sauce and sesame seeds
• Mains such as Prik khing - stir-fried crispy tofu with red curry paste, beans capsicum and chili served with jasmine or brown rice
• Curry for example Indian butter curry with chickpeas in butter tomato sauce blended with Indian spices served with jasmine or brown rice.
• Noodles such as laksa, pad thai and soba style
• Desserts such as banana tempura, with dairy optional in most desserts.
Heaps more!

Pros: Ambience, Choice, Food

Excellent food - Edit

I've had a lovely dinner and desert at Madame K's. Their staff is friendly, and you get real good quality dishes. Some of their main dishes are with mock meats which are really good. I would really recommend this cafe.
Only downside I found was that it was a bit cold in winter. Take a sweater and enjoy their exceptional food.

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly staff, Good value

Cons: A bit cold

Quiet, lovely environment, Asian vegetarian food - Edit

We stumbled across this place one night when we were heading to the Veggie Bar (across the road) - the Veggie Bar is always so crowded and noisy and this place was new and had hardly anyone in it. We read the menu and decided to give it a go. It was a lovely atmosphere inside with intimate tables, candles, attractive decorations etc. We had a really lovely meal, enjoyed the food a lot and went back a few weeks later as we had enjoyed it so much. The only issue we had was when we went back we ordered some of the same dishes (eggplant miso etc) and found that some of it wasn't as good as the first time (eggplant in particular was undercooked and that always puts me off). However, enjoyed it overall and look forward to giving it another go and trying some more from the menu.

Pros: Quiet, nice atmosphere, Good Value, Decent portion sizes

Cons: ?possibly inconsistent food

very average veg food - Edit

Bland tastes and cheap vegetables. The most worrying aspect about this restaurant is their approach to hiring casual staff in that they operate similar to other "Thai" restaurants in Melbourne- they pay people between $40-$50 for 5 hour shifts. Such unethical behaviour doesn't belong in such an aware vegetarian community like Melbourne.

Return to Fitzroy Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Madame K's Vegetarian Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3244 times since Jul 2012.