Mad Mex

Contact 814-272-5656

240 S Pugh St, State College, Pennsylvania, USA, 16801

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chain Mexican food restaurant with bar. Reported this outlet keeps on hand soy cheese and tofu sour cream for substitute - ask to be sure.

Category: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by condekedar

Not what was on the menu, too much rice - Edit

We were very excited to go here as a stop before a 6 hour evening/night drive. We were getting an early dinner for 2, then take out for 3. So we ordered a lot.

The beers were good and the service was great. We really liked the decor. However, there was the food.

We ordered 2 of the veg specific burritos and ended up with a lot of rice, some beans and a little veg. One burrito was supposed to have squash. We never found it. I would order the super mad mex next time. The chickpea chili was almost non-existent in my burrito. There was a ton of sour cream, which I don't really like.

The California Grilled salad had a nice amount of portobello mushroom, however there was NO avocado and the only dressing was a chipotle ranch.

Two of us liked the carrot cake, one did not.

If you are a newbie to veg eating you may like this, but if I want to chow down on rice, I'll just make it myself.

Pros: Service, Decor, Drink options

Cons: Not enough veggies, Meal different than menu

A local favorite! - Edit

Mad Mex is a weekly dinner destination my husband and me. The tofu tacos with vegan sour cream and cheese are absolutely to die for - MOST of the time. However, I've found that they are inconsistent in how they are prepared; sometimes they have avocado, sometimes not. Sometimes they come with limes, sometimes not. Sometimes lots of sauce...you get the idea. However, we keep going back regardless. One order of tofu tacos is sufficient for our party of two.

I can't comment on the other vegan items as I always order the tofu tacos.

Others have mentioned, it can get quite loud inside the restaurant on weekend (and some mid-week) nights. The patio is wonderful to sit out on on a warm summer evening though, and well worth the wait.

Pros: Delicious, Affordable

Cons: Noisy, Inconsistent

Tasty! - Edit

I love Mad Mex - the Thai curry burrito and the Pennsyltucky Fried Tofu are my favorites. Tacos are also excellent. Vegan sour cream available. Great food! This place is too loud and crowded for me on weekend evenings though.

Pros: Excellent food

Cons: Noisy

Great food made better with discount - Edit

Review: Mad Mex is great but I tend to only go there when the food is discounted. Otherwise, it's a little pricey for a student budget. The options are:

1. All you can eat burritos for $5 - Monday 4pm-10pm
2. Student Halfsies - Mon-Thurs, 2pm-4pm
3. $1 tacos - Sun, 2pm-close
4. Half off food - Tues-Sat, 10pm-midnight

I usually get the fried tofu appetizer, the waffle fries, or The Mad Mex Enchilada with portobello mushrooms.

Steadfast Veggie Options - Edit

Pennsyltucky Fried Tofu, Chickpea Chili, and Burritos para los Vegheads reflect what Mad Mex has always brought to Happy Valley; vegetarian and vegan choices from the get go. This Pittsburgh based chain has always had vegan cheese options on any of their food items. Tofu and portobellos are frequent filler options and the food is GOOD! A Big Azz Margarita (Happies M-F 4:30 - 6:30) with an Angry Vegan Burrito = heaven!

Inside can get ridiculously loud especially when college is in session during happy hours. The loud music and voices just bounce off the concrete floors as the metal legged chairs add their scraping screeches to the cacophony. Seating outdoors at this time is at a premium. Either choose a different time or be forewarned - Mad Mex is a mad house at these times.

Full review here: http://wp.me/p1GQWj-v2

Pros: vegan, vegetarian, tasty

Cons: it's a chain, high turnover in waitstaff, nothing is from a local source

Delicious Vegan Tex Mex - Edit

Overall - very yummy food, and many vegan tex mex options. Often crowded here and you can expect to wait a while for dinner - especially on the weekend. Some dishes have dairy you wouldn't expect. I got a dish which involved marinated mushrooms and the marinade had dairy which I have to commend my server on checking because I wouldn't have thought to ask about that.

Pros: Excellent food, Variety of options can be made vegan

Cons: Wait to get a table, noisy

Love this Place - Edit

I love Mad Mex. Essentially almost any of their items can be made vegan by choosing tofu for the filling and asking for vegan cheese and sour cream. Their nachos made vegan style are amazing, and the burritos made with chickpea chili rock. It may not be authentic mexican cuisine, but it is still yummy. I have never seen an authentic place that had many vegetarian options (and often can't even assure the beans are vegetarian), so I can't complain about it's authenticity. Really the only downside for me is that I always get a margarita when I go there and when combined with a pricey entree, it gets expensive.

Closest thing to Mexican in State College - Edit

Mad Mex is a decent place. Its vegetarian and vegan options are not too extensive, but they do easy substitutions with soy cheese and vegan sour cream. Their chips and salsa, while costing extra, are excellent. Their vegan burritos are filling, relatively tasty, but a bit on the pricier side. On a whole, though, this is the closest thing to Mexican food you'll find in State College.

Pros: Vegan options, Chips and salsa

Cons: Semi-expensive, Slightly bland

Return to State College Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mad Mex closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1429 times since Aug 2007.