First Review by halfthejob

Quite the Suprise! - Edit

I just recently returned from a short stay in the Pittsburgh area. I was traveling with my wife and children, all of whom are vegan.

We were late leaving Pittsburgh to head down South, so shortly after leaving town we decided it would be better to try our luck with an early lunch just outside of Pittsburgh than it would be an hour into the drive (as that would have us in some rather rural parts). My kids really wanted Mexican so we did a quick Google search -- as a HappyCow search revealed very little -- and I found this place.

We went to Mad Mex anticipating having to order some of our usual custom tacos, veggie fajitas, and collection of sides, but were entirely surprised to find that Daiya cheese was on the menu. Also, our waiter was entirely aware of what our vegan options were and even asked if we wanted vegan sour cream with our meals. We found that each section of the menu -- whether salad, enchilada, taco, or burrito -- had at least one vegan option, and most had multiple options. Frankly, there were so many options that we just opted to settle before sorting through all of them as we were already running late.

My daughters shared the vegan version of the "Happy Hippie Quesedilla," which they both enjoyed and my wife and I each ordered the vegan option of the "Herb O'Vores Tofu Tacos." The taco plate was really quite large -- as it came with three tacos, and a full side of rice and black beans -- and was a pretty tasty tofu-based creation. Additionally, our children shared and ate the entire quesedilla (which had spinach and mushrooms, among other things) but were too full to eat any of the rice and black beans side we ordered for them. We all enjoyed our meals and I am quite sure we'll look into visiting Mad Mex again the next time we are in the area. I will probably order my children one of the various vegan enchilada options as it is so rare to find vegan enchilada options in a restaurant ...

Pros: MANY vegan options, Creative vegan options

Cons: Somewhat out-of-the-way location

Return to Scott Township Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mad Mex closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.