Mad Mex

Contact 412-681-5656

370 Atwood Ave, Oakland, Pennsylvania, USA, 15213

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chain Mexican food restaurant with bar. On the menu the vegetarian/veggie-possible dishes are marked with a green catcus. Uses dairy. This location is by a college campus and is frequented by a young crowd. Busy at late night.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by BranCorvine

Yummy - Edit

I have been to several different Mad Mex locations (all of them are good). I feel like I'm not always happy with the burritos, but at least they're never bad, per se. I am, however, always delighted with the Pennsyltucky Tofu, the chickpea chili, the pepita hummus with pita slices, the tofu tacos, and some of the most delicious portabella mushrooms that I've ever had. YUM! I love that they also offer vegan cheese and Tofutti sour cream (which often times I had to have my non-veg dinner companion taste it to make sure it wasn't real sour cream lol). You can sign up to receive a free burrito yearly for your birthday, and I just got another one in the mail to celebrate their 21st Anniversary... nothing beats a free burrito! My only disappointment is that they used to offer a vegan carrot cake, but they don't seem to anymore. It was really good, and I always love restaurants more when they offer desserts. Still one of my favorite vegan-friendly restaurants, though.

Pros: Several very delicious options, Big burritos, Yearly free burritos!

Cons: No more vegan carrot cake

Everyone will be happy - Edit

Mad Mex is great because people from out of town are generally impressed and the food is creative and good. The fact that you are asked whether you want vegan cheese and sour cream without even asking blows my mind every time it happens. Their grilled portabella on the Chopper Salad is delicious just like the dressing that comes with it but the tofu tacos are the vegan highlight not to be missed. Great Margaritas, too. Highly recommended also because they are actually committed to being veg friendly as opposed to so many who throw a frozen burger patty on the menu, "there, now give me my veg friendly sticker for the window". Not here!

Pros: Something for everyone, Actually vegan friendly, Great bar

Cons: rice and beans tasta a litte boring

Great Tofu Tacos - Edit

Lots of vegetarian and vegan options. The tofu tacos are quite tasty and I've seen plenty of omnivores love them.
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 21, 2013

Pros: Something For Everyone In Your Group.

Return to Oakland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mad Mex closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 717 times since Jul 2013.