Mad Mex

724-741-5656

20510 Perry Highway, Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania, USA, 16066

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chain of Southwestern-style Mexican restaurant and bar. Uses dairy but has tofu, vegan cheese and sour cream - ask to make your dish vegan.

Categories: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by patrickbritton

Awesome vegan options - Edit

The fact that they have the veg options throughout the menu is great, we don't have to ask to talk to the chef and have them make a special request... and they proudly advertize that they'll SUB the vegan sour & cheese for anything! Great for vegan, but also if you have friends that are just lactose intolerant!

Fried tofu app is so good anyone will like it, so bring anyone along. Fajitas were great, and honestly we're gong back to try everything else!

Wish I could've given 5 stars b/c I feel that they are actually very accommodating for vegan customers.

Pros: Veg options, Delicious , Huge portions

Cons: A little loud

Favorite place in PA - Edit

I have been going to Mad Mex for 20 years. I live in New England but grew up in Pittsburgh. This is a local chain. You can make pretty much anything vegan with daiya and tofutti sour cream. Their tofu with Asian Mexican fusion sauce is my fave in their tacos. I always add Portobello to make it even better.

Pros: tons of vegan options, cool atmosphere, great beer

Cons: music can be loud

Mad Mex, Cranberry - Edit

Great Mexican food with vegetarian options! My favorites are the fried tofu appetizer, and the black beanie quesadilla. Of course yummy guacamole too! Can get almost any menu item made with tofu or mushrooms instead of meat.

Pros: options, yummy, filling

Vegetarian Friendly but Mediocre - Edit

This was my first visit to the restaurant. The atmosphere was pleasant, the workers were nice and the overall experience was positive. The menu is very vegetarian friendly and lets you know what is or can be made vegetarian.

All of this means nothing if the food isn't good. It wasn't terrible, it just tasted like the cook seasoned it badly. I ordered the Herb O'vore's tofu tacos. The tofu was cooked well but marinated in a bar-b-que like mixture. That is the best I can describe it. It tasted decent but did not go well with the tacos. They were pretty bland as well, there was an odd flavor that overpowered the tomatoes that were in the tacos.

Decent place overall, I may or may not return to give them a second chance. It means a lot for me to find a vegetarian friendly place. Even with that, the food has to be good. Otherwise the options mean nothing.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Plenty of Menu Options, Fair Prices

Cons: Bland Food

2 Responses
Avatar veganmadre

veganmadre 22 Feb 2013 - I'd agree that the tacos aren't the best - but you should definitely give the restaurant another go! Try the vegan super mad mex enchiladas with tofu! Mmmm!

JoshuaRyan 27 Oct 2017 - I see it's been a while since you last went, but we were PLEASANTLY surprised by how good the food was when we went earlier this week. Got the tofu appetizer (which we joked was almost more of an Asian dish) but it was amazing! The Portobello fajitas were great too, huge mushrooms & we omitted the tofu here b/c we had so much from the app. Anyway we're going to go back to try the enchiladas &burritos!

Return to Cranberry Township Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mad Mex closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.