Macy's European Coffeehouse

928-774-2243

14 S Beaver St (at downtown), Flagstaff, Arizona, USA, 86001

Coffeehouse, bakery, and restaurant 1/2 block south of railroad tracks. Roasts its own coffee, soymilk option available. Offers a few options for vegans, and many dishes contain dairy or/or eggs. Vegans to specify. Kitchen closes at 7pm. 2nd Friday of the month closed at 5pm, and kitchen closed at 4pm. Open Mon-Sun 6:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by BrienneAmber

great for families - Edit

Perfect restaurant for families with children. Wholesome and delicious. Great service.

Pros: vegan waffles, vegan baked goods, great coffee

Cons: disorganized, limited seating

Nice place - Edit

Cute place!
We ordered a lunch to go. It was crowded so we had to wait for 10 minutes, enough time for a Coconutmilk Chai (a little bit to sweet to me).
I had a glutenfree veggie sandwich with vegan creamcheese and a side salad for lunch. Yummie!!!

pushy service - Edit

Food ok. Service aggressive and not particularly friendly. Hippy type place.

Worth the trip! - Edit

Macy's has improved in my eyes over the last year or so. My most recent visits have been a week-day breakfast (Friday) where I had amazing oatmeal with fruit and a pastry. Yum! I came back the next early evening for dinner. I had a great vegan burger with a side salad. Yum again! Be sure to get there for dinner no later than 7 PM. Even though they are open until 8, the kitchen closes at 7. I'll be back.

Pros: Hippie vibe, Nice outdoor seating

Cons: No drip coffee, Can be exceedingly busy

Center of Flagstaff Life - Edit

...at least for some of my local friends. I think of it mainly as a coffee place, with coffee - accompanying foods, but yes, some fine veg*n meal foods here too.

Pros: Vegan options and flexible offerings. I love the

Cons: More coffee place than restaurant.

Good morning hangout - Edit

Stopped at Macy's while traveling. Got a good Americano (they don't have drip) and a pastry. Not the best peach scone I ever had, but still nice to find a treat on the road.

Pros: Open early, Vegan options

Very nice - Edit

A nice "hippysh" place to hangout with friends. Went multiple times for breakfast and lunch. The hot cocoa with different vegan milk was very delicious. For breakfast I had their home-made granola with soy milk which was pretty good. Highly recommend it! The sandwich (some hummus sandwich thingy) I ordered for lunch was also nice.

Pros: Opens at 6AM!, Nice music, Cheerful and friendly staff

Good food. - Edit

This would've been 5 stars but the veggie burger was just average.

Otherwise, other dishes we tried were delicious and the desserts were divine!

Macy's European Coffee House - Edit

This is a good lunch spot located in Flagstaff, and apparently quite popular. I ordered the super veggie sandwich and found it to be quite bland, I was most unimpressed with the bread. If I go to Macy's again I'd certainly try something different, but would definitely give it another shot given my friend's experience. My friend absolutely loved her sandwich and ranted about her bread (which was different than mine) - her sandwich was also not vegan.

Best Coffee in Flagstaff - Edit

My favourite coffee house in the city! Great drinks, fantastic pastries, and awesome food (the BLT is the best!). They clearly identify what is vegan on the signs. Be prepared to wait in line for a while; it's worth the wait!

Great drinks and music, good food - Edit

I had a large soy chai, a slice of vegan banana bread, and the Mediterranean plate. The drink was done before I was even fully rung up, the hummus and tahini dressing was AWESOME. The banana bread was a bit dry, but it had probably been out in the case all day. Gayle Skidmore was the musical artist playing that night, and she was great, (bought her cd/coloring book) she sounded a bit like Ingrid Michaelson....anyway, the Chai was fantastic and foamy. They were out of the veggie mushroom burger. Was only stopping on my way through, but if there were more vegan options, I would want to go back for sure.

Not very tasty... - Edit

I had a mushroom/swiss veggie burger and it was OK. The coffee was not very good, and a little bitter. My wife had the veggie soup/stew and it was terrible. It tasted like they ran hot water over vegetables (sort of like how the Three Stooges would make chicken soup by poured hot water through a chicken). It was also loaded with way too much oregano. The salad was not how it was ordered (missing tomato, cucumber, avocado, etc.).

Pros: Interior decor, Location

Cons: Mediocre food, Some bad food

Delicious! - Edit

It was pretty packed on the day we came, but we luckily were able to catch an open table. We got 2 sandwiches and a turnover. My BLAT was HUGE and filling but still felt really healthy. The turnover was perfection, so I grabbed another for the road.
Service was friendly, but they call names when orders are up and when it's so packed it's impossible to hear them. We accidentally grabbed someone else's sandwich because of a rhyming-name snafu. Try to give a 2 syllable name when you order! ;-)

Pros: big portions, delicious, good value

Cons: crowded

Excellent Food - Edit

I too had the BLAT after reading all the reviews. It was to biggest sandwich I ever saw. The bread was thick cut and toasted and the sandwich was just yummy! The basil vinaigrette was the best dressing I've ever had. I used it to dip the sandwich in and drank whatever was left! They had some vegan danish the day I was there......so good.

Pros: small inside

Cons: good food, good prices

Very busy vegetarian hangout - Edit

Macys appears to be the most popular cafe in Flagstaff, which is great, as im sure not all the customers are vegetarian: their food and coffee is good enough to attract carnivores!
I had the BLAT, which was good although i have to say not quite as good as others mentioned here. The Tempeh Bacon was ok, but tasted too much like those fake bacon bits they used to put out at the salad bar at Sizzler.
The place was completely full when i was there, with a line of people going right out the door, so if you're looking for peace and quiet, this is not the place. If you want to hangout in a busy cafe that feels like a normal cafe (as opposed to a vegetariaan place with some pan flutes playing and pictures of the supreme master on the wall), then this is the place.

Pros: Busy, eclectic crowd, good food, fresh roasted coffee

Oh Macy's, I love you! - Edit

I don't live in Flagstaff anymore, but when I came back to visit recently one of the first things I wanted to do was go to Macy's.

I was so excited to discover this place the first morning that I lived in Flagstaff when my Aunt and I were in our hotel room looking in the phone book for places to eat breakfast. We didn't actually eat here until our second morning in town. As a vegetarian at the time of 9 years that grew up in the Buffalo, NY area I had never been to any sort of full on vegetarian establishment. (Oh how things have changed since then - and I'm vegan now. ;))

Macy's always has a yummy selection of baked goods with lots of options for the vegans. In the mornings they usually have bagels from Biff's across the street and muffins you can munch on if you don't want a pastry with your morning coffee. The vegan waffles there aren't really that great - a bit too stiff for me - but something about the ability to go out and order vegan waffles (with syrup and earth balance - which you have to specify that you want or else they will give you butter even though the waffles themselves are vegan - and fresh fruit on request) has always been exciting.

My favorite sandwich is the avocado BLT. (Specify if you want it vegan.) It was a sad day when I couldn't eat one for lunch after a year away from Flagstaff (and at least a month of daydreaming about this sandwich) because they were out of tempeh bacon that day.

The coffee is amazing and this is coming from someone who doesn't really drink coffee that often. You can also get soy hot chocolate, choose from a variety of teas, and I think they make smoothies although I can't recall ever ordering one here... maybe just once my first year in Flagstaff.

Sometimes in the evenings they have musicians that play in the upper level corner, and you can peruse the photographs taken by owner Tim Macy while you are there. (I should really buy one of his prints the next time I am in town.)

Oh yea - the other great thing about Macy's is the cross section of the town that you will see here. (And the number of times you will run into people you know while here.) Macy's is a great meeting spot, as well as a great first date spot.

If you live in Flagstaff and you haven't been to Macy's yet you are probably living under a rock. If you are reading this because you are about to go on a vacation to Flagstaff, then you should definitely put this on your list of restaurants/cafes to check out. ;)

Pros: vegan baked goods, avocado BLAT, awesome hanging out spot

Cons: none

A Great Spot! - Edit

Don't let the "European" in the name make you think of something more stylish than satisfying. This place is good for body and soul! Great food, friendly staff, reasonable prices, overall good vibe. Which is why it's one of Flagstaff's most popular local spots. Just a little south of the downtown strip, in a residential area. Unique breakfasts. Ever seen a place with cooked couscous and fruit and nuts for breakfast? Or how about a Tofu Pecan Danish? Well worth a visit!

Pros: Good Food, Good Value, Friendly Staff

Cons: Can Be Crowded

BLAT! - Edit

for sure my favorite thing on the menu is a vegan blat sandwich. you have to ask for it to be made vegan (they'll sub the mayo for vegenaise and hold the cheese) but it's delicious and comes with a side salad. the basil vinaigrette dressing is delicious and so is the lemon tahini- both are vegan. i've been living in flagstaff for a couple of years and know i can always stop by macy's for some comfort.

Pros: friendly staff, good vegan options, fresh baked vegan pastries

Return to Flagstaff Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Macy's European Coffeehouse closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.