Macrobiotic Zen

Contact 934546023

C/ Muntaner 12 (at near Grand Via at Universitat), Barcelona, Spain, 08001

Canteen style macrobiotic food restaurant with a retail section selling organic and health food products. Open Mon-Sat 1:00pm-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, Spanish

First Review by hack_man

Best Macro restaurant - Edit

My favorite vegan restaurant in Spain. Food is plentiful and well seasoned. The principles are those of Macrobiotics that pair vegetable dishes, legumes and whole grains accompanied by some form of digestive soup and salad. The nice part of this restaurant is that it actually adapts the principles of Macrobiotics to the Mediterranean diet (some nutrition enthusiasts would claim that you will get the best of the healthiest regions on earth, Japan and the Mediterranean) using local ingredients such as peppers, olives, tomatoes and whole wheat pasta. The cooks are incredibly creative and very welcoming. Some of them are from Argentina and other countries in Latin America so you get a blend of Iberian/Latin Macrobiotics that is simply outstanding. Portions are huge so you may want to have a Spanish breakfast (small vegan cortado) so you can have enough room in your stomach for lunch at Macrobiotic Zen. Two great additions that I find unnecessarily restrictive on traditional Macrobiotic diets are delicious vegan desserts and decent organic wine. Both, are a nice blend to your meal and I was told totally O.K. for local Macrobiotic principles. The place is not lavish and service is cafeteria style (you need to pick up your tray), but who cares if the food is so good. On the plus side, this amazing lunch is inexpensive (thank you Janet Yellen for an appreciated U.S. dollar) and if you get there early enough you may be able to grab a place in the terrace on a perfect sunny afternoon.

Brilliant! - Edit

Apparently I missed the shop section of it, but I can definitely not complain about the food! Everything was vegan with the exception of tortellini with ricotta cheese, and staff were actually a bit apologetic about selling something they don´t really believe in, but happens to be requested.. Either way, I had a fine spinach soup, some millet balls with vegetables (PLENTY!) and an almond and vegan cream cake. Everything was utterly delicious, especially the second course.. just unpretentious food cooked by dedicated professionals, and the price (12 euro) was nothing to object either.

Feel-great food! - Edit

One of my favourite restaurants in Barcelona. Great location, friendly staff (when it's not too busy!) and amazing food. What I most love about this place is that for 11,50 everything is included, although smaller menu options exist, and you feel great after having eaten there! Plates are generous and the full menu includes two dishes, dessert, water, bread and tea. Everything is delicious and lots of the ingredients come from their own organic veggie garden. The only handicap is that it is well-known and usually quite full, which means that during the summer it can be too hot and that you will have to share a table with other clients.

Pros: Generous portions, Everything included (food and drinks), Healthy and great taste

Cons: Sometimes to warm inside, Very busy, Need to share table

So Much Yummy Food - Edit

Great lunch time vegetarian macrobiotics spot. There are three options, the three course meal, two course, or the plate. I was warned in advance that the plate alone is almost too much food and I'm glad I listened. Despite being really hungry I could barely finish my plate. The food was well seasoned, there was a variety of different vegetables, and the staff are super nice. Loved it.

Pros: Vegan Options, Deliciously flavored, Lots of food

Cons: Lunch only

Wonderful food - Edit

I was wrong, I went back again and loved the place. I have been there at least 5 times by now. The best for me in Bcn!!!

This previous review must be because of bad day in the kitchen or something wrong with my taste that day:

This is really a vegan/vegetarian canteen place. After my visit I was wondering what I actually ate. No taste, no impression, canteen atmosphere and not even the desert was exciting.

Maybe I got a healthy macrobiotic lunch meal but I have had macrobiotic food which had taste..
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 22, 2012

Pros: cheap, quick , vegan and macrobiotic

Cons: canteen, wonderful food, busy place

My favorite veg place in Barcelona - Edit

I've been to Zen countless times. The food is always excellent and the tea is free. There is a friendly familiar atmosphere. They have a little store too.
I would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Barcelona.

Delicious and 90% vegan - Edit

One of the first vegetarian restaurants in Barcelona, it is now 90% vegan. The delicious, nutritious fare is also great value - with more emphasis on whole foods and less on the processed fake meats that some vegan restaurants rely too heavily on. Big portions with lots of variety - black rice, vegetable stew, salad, pasta, and loads of vegan desserts. All freshly prepared. The atmosphere is wonderful and friendly with lots of locals and regulars sharing tables and chatting in a communal environment. Highly recommended!

Pros: Delicious and healthy, 90% vegan, Friendly communal atmosphere

Good Choice - Edit

A place not be knocked. Very ethical and healthy, serving vegan food in a basic seating area located in a shop selling various health food products, vegetables and vegetarian and vegan foodstuffs. I haven't eaten here but I will certainly do so next time in Barcelona. Located just off the Grand Via at Universitat.

Pros: Healthy, Store

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Macrobiotic Zen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.