MacNiven's Restaurant and Bar

317-632-7268

339 Massachussets Ave (at Delaware), Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, 46202

Serves meat, vegan options available. Scottish American restaurant and bar. Has vegetarian haggis and vegan chili served alone, atop a taco salad, or inside a quesadilla. Reported August 2017 to now have a separate vegan menu.

Categories: Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Scottish, Non-veg

First Review by hpames

freezedriedbunniez

Points +20

07 Jan 2017

That soup doh - Edit

It's adorable inside. Waitress was nice but confused about vegetarian suggestions lol no big deal. Took a while to get the food but it was hot and fresh! potato skins vegan sooo good! huge huge could feed 3people. got beans and toast as main course..meh can make it better at home for 1/4 the price. But the vegetarian onion soup was the show stopper. I sexually fantasize about that soup it was so good. Like I would have that soups babies...legit!

Pros: vegan & vegetarian options

Cons: priceyish on the booze end staff doesn't reall

kaduhacissej

Points +112

04 Aug 2015

Veg Haggis!! - Edit

The veggie haggis is one of the most amazing things I've ever put in my mouth. I haven't been able to bring myself to try anything else on the menu the few times I've been here. My omni husband devoured my leftovers and made his carnivorous coworkers jealous with how delicious it smelled. The neeps and tatties on the side are also delicious if you're veg but they're not vegan apparently. I was a bit bummed that there weren't more beers on draught, but they have a great selection of bottled beer. The service each times has been great. If this was in my neighborhood, I would go here once a week.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 14, 2012:
Now that I'm vegan and my omni hubby has converted to vegetarian, MacNiven's isn't as exciting for us, although apparently the veg haggis is vegan! Last time I went, I got the veggie curry. I liked it, but it was one of those things I can only eat so much of before I'm stick of.

Pros: Veggie haggis!, Beer selection, Awesome service

Cons: Not as many draught beers as I'd hoped, Could have better vegan options

sarahsvati

Points +253

20 Dec 2012

Clear vegan options and knowledgeable staff - Edit

I like that the staff is very knowledgeable about what is vegan and what can be made vegan. I had the french onion soup (without cheese) and the vegan haggis. The entree of haggis was a lot of food and without much variation in flavor or texture, but this is likely a difference of taste.

This is a nice option to have in the Mass Ave area.

Pros: Clear vegan options, Nice lively pub atmosphere

Annakin

Points +79

28 Nov 2011

What a Relief! - Edit

After reading the reviews of MacNiven's, I was some what reluctant to go there. I am vegan and it seemed like this place would be vegetarian at best. I even called before going there earlier this evening. I asked the young woman who answered the phone if the vegetarian haggis was vegan. She said, "no." I asked her if it could be made vegan. She said, "no." Then I asked her if anything on the menu could be made vegan. She replied, "no, nothing can be made vegan." Pretty rude. And as it turns out pretty wrong.

I am quite happy that me and my family decided to stop by MacNiven's despite this discouraging conversation. When we sat down and inquired about the food, we were pleasantly surprised. Our server was a nice young woman named Liz. She informed us that the vegetarian haggis is vegan as long as you substitute the mash potatos and sweet neep sides for either a side salad, bowl of chilli, or fries. She explained that other vegetarian items could be made vegan on the menu by requesting them without cheese.

My father, brother and myself are vegans. My mother is a vegetarian. We were all very happy with the meal we had at MacNiven's this afternoon. The Vegetarian Haggis is awesome! And so was the beer, by the way. :)

It is good to see that MacNiven's has made necessary improvements in response to its criticisms. The only suggestion I would make is to make sure that all the staff (especially the ones answering the phone!!!) is aware that the vegetarian haggis and other items on the menu can be prepared vegan... Also! Give Liz (she had short, dark curly hair if there is more than one) a raise or an awesome xmas bonus. What a great server!

We will definitely return next time we're in Indianapolis.

Pros: Delicious Haggis, Great Server, Beer Selection

Cons: A rude person answers phone inquires, only some vegetarian options

Guest

Points +2

12 Dec 2008

MacNiven's - Edit

This resturant has the worst customer service I have ever seen. I went here about a month ago the food was awful and they claimed to have about 120 different types of beer. Everyone I asked for was "Sorry we don't have that". Also the resturant had a bad smell to it that day.

Cons: food, price, staff

macniven1

07 Jan 2009
The owners would like more details as to the comment about them being rude, and the overall customer service from this review. We do carry 120 beers, some very difficult for our suppliers to keep in stock, if they have it, we have it. The bad smell may have had something to do with the construction of a 10 story building going on next door, not sure, we smell like a pub. Stuart & Troy

MesaChelli

Points +50

08 Sep 2008

Great veg pub fare--who knew?! - Edit

The veg haggis was a happy surprise--delicious. And the atmosphere in MacNiven's was very comfortable (friendly and not too crowded or too loud), even with smokers on the bar side of the wall. Indoor smoking has been outlawed where I live, and I really prefer it that way. My favorite part of both my two visits was the beer from Three Floyds (Muncie IN). Three Floyds' Robert the Bruce ("Respect the Bruce!") is the smoothest pint I've ever had. Possibly my favorite beer, ever!

Pros: Robert the Bruce!, veg pub food

lilmammal

Points +206

06 Aug 2008

Fun place, good food, great beer - Edit

This Mass Ave establishment is a fave for my husband and I. Though they have a few vegetarian items to chose from, we get the same items every time because we like them so much: vegetarian haggis and the vegetable vermicelli dish. The staff is attentive and it appears that many of them have stuck around from the opening a few years ago. It gets crowded quickly so go early if you can. They have an amazing, exotic beer selection from all over the world. Let the bartender or your waitstaff suggest one and you'll not be disappointed.

Pros: location, beers, staff

Cons: can be crowded on weekends

irish fan

Points +6

Non Vegetarian
05 Aug 2008

Wonderful Experience!!! - Edit

I was with a group of friends in town for a convention and we had dinner at MacNiven's last Saturday night. The food was wonderful, and our little waitress, Ryan, gave us excellent service. (we asked her name, since we were so impressed! Not once did we have to 'track' down our waitress to get service. She anticipated our needs and was always checking on us to see if we needed anything. We are planning on being back in town for another conference in November and will definitely go back! In a world full of really poor service, this was a refreshing change!! Kudos!!!!

macniven1

Points +6

Non Vegetarian
12 Jul 2008

Owners Response - Edit

I tried contacting JoeCustomer directly but they do not exist. The review reflects the opinion of a group that were asked to leave the restaurant by me, the owner, for inappropriate behaviour, hence the bitter review.
We do have Veggie Haggis back, our apologies to the guest who visited during our change over phase when we were out. We do try to offer as many vegetarian items as our small kitchen can handle, especially as my wife is vegetarian. Thanks, Stuart Robertson.

hpames

Points +29

15 Nov 2007

Keeping my hopes up - Edit

First time I ate here I tried the Vegetarian Haggis (who'd have thought?) and thought it was delicious. The next two times I went (months apart), craving the veggie haggis, they were out--they said both times that they were switching distributors. The neeps were tasty, but the grilled cheese was lacklustre. At least they try.
And, though they have a great list, the beer is really expensive.

Pros: Veggie Haggis is quite tasty, Atmosphere is swanky, Great beer list

Cons: Expensive beer, often out of Veg Haggis, other veg food mediocre

Return to Indianapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has MacNiven's Restaurant and Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.