Maccaroni Osteria Italiana

03-90770377

201 Queens Parade, Clifton Hill, Victoria, 3068

Serves meat, vegan options available. Licensed Italian restaurant with a variety of vegan menu items including soup, salad and pasta dishes. In 2015 it created a separate list of menu items which includes 7 main dishes (penne, gnocci, lasagna, risotto, etc.). Open Tue-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Non-veg

First Review by verbosity

Lots of options - Edit

I was so excited to read a vegan menu where all of the options were something I'd want to eat. Service was friendly. Normally if I go to a non vegan place and they offer me pasta with a Napoli sauce I almost cry. But here the sauce had so much flavour. We had an entree, pasta and dessert and drinks. I will go back and recommend to others.

Pros: menu, ambiance

Cons: pricey but no more than other nice restaurants

delicious traditional pasta - Edit

There's two full pages of vegan options and they all sound delicious. I had the lasagna and the gnocchi and it tasted exactly how I remember non-vegan food to taste.

Pros: tastes amazing , usually not busy, heaps of options

Cons: servings are a bit small , bit pricey, desserts are only ok

Authentic Italian - Edit

Seperate vegan menu with loads of choices including vegan bolignase Housemade pastas, and even vegan desserts!

We all enjoyed our meals and service was attentive but not intrusive.

It's a pleasant place to dine and they are licensed too.

Pros: loads of options for vegans, vegan desserts, housemade pasta

Contributions +14

Delicious Italian Food - Edit

I loved my meal at Maccaroni Osteria Italiana. They serve a wide variety of delicious pasta and other dishes from a substantial vegan menu,

Cross contamination - Edit

Restaurant does not use dedicated cookware and uses the same fryer for flesh as for item(s) on the vegan menu.
Restaurant owner does not believe this to be an issue and claims that the term 'cross contamination' only refers to bacteria and viruses.

Cons: cross contamination

6 Responses

Maccaroni Osteria 23 Feb 2016 - I found that the above review harms the image and credibility of my restaurant and myself as the owner, considering that it is not an exclusively vegan restaurant and it has never been hidden that the equipment is not dedicated to vegan food. Furthermore it is claimed that we have poor knowledge of food safety and hygiene standard, "Cross contamination" is a very trouble for a restaurant, "Cross contamination" infracts the rule of Food Safety Program, and just council's inspector can provided that it accurred.
Also in happycow we are listed as veg-friendly not as a stricly vegan restaurant.
I've copied a link where I referred to what to consider vegan, as well as one about cross contamination.

I Request, if it is in my rights, that action would be taken immediately and the review removed and block the user to further reviews this restaurant, unless lawful reasons will be provided.
If any actions would not be taken to safeguard my restaurant and misuse of happycow website, legal actions would be taken.

Alessandra D'Angelo
Owner and director of Maccaroni Osteria Italiana

vegjimbo 24 Feb 2016 - Thanks for the review. The response it provoked gave me everything I need to know never to eat there in my life.

Hey owners - if you think accurate information is harmful to your business, the problem is with you, not with the reviewer.

happy_veg 24 Feb 2016 - Wow Alessandra, where most companies would take criticism on board and aim to improve, you've gone out of your way to prove the reviewer right with your terrible attitude.
Your actions, and not those of the reviewer, mean I will never visit your restaurant and will encourage others to do the same whenever I can.

Avatar vegan101

vegan101 28 Mar 2016 - I love this place. Some people care about shared utensils etc. I do not. For me being a vegan is about not harming animals, I can't see how some cross contamination violates this principle. If you are allergic then yes it is an issue, otherwise I think it is about personal purity not caring for animals. This restaurant is having a genuine go at providing vegan food, and this is the response they get? Wow.

verbosity 28 Mar 2016 - Then leave a positive review vegan101; does that not seem obvious? If you genuinely enjoyed the offerings/service etc of Maccaroni Osteria, then review them favourably.
Perhaps you would also like to review other establishments? The only interaction you have with this website at present is your comment to which I am responding... Hopefully (unlike on facebook and many other platforms) reviews stay predominately legitimate on HappyCow.

Restaurants are reviewed based on a variety of criteria. Level of care/concern is a legitimate factor. This business was contacted and stated their position on the subject (prior to this review)

Avatar vegan101

vegan101 29 Mar 2016 - I have just posted a review. I object to your inference that my comment or review is not legitimate. I am a long time user of Happy Cow, this is just the first time I felt moved to comment.

Return to Clifton Hill Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Maccaroni Osteria Italiana closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.