First Review by Marga Delila

Poor communication - Edit

My boyfriend is Norwegian and prefaced in the language before we placed our order that our food needs to be vegan. I ordered in English the Pad Thai and asked for tofu instead of shrimp, and no fish sauce. She said ok. We got our food and my dish had shrimp and my boyfriend's had beef. So he brought it up to them explaining no animal foods (as she doesn't seem to understand what vegan means). He overheard her tell the cook our order and once again she only gave the food numbers with no explanation. So he watched the cook make our food, and had to stop him from putting an egg in it. The vegan food we finally got was rather bland. Not the worst I'd ever had, but not worth the trouble in my opinion. The food did come out quickly (which is good if your food needs to be remade) and appears to be made fresh. Seems Bergen is not the most vegan friendly, but I found it better to go to the health food store for vegan ingredients and make my own food if you have a kitchen available to you.

Pros: Quick service, Fresh food

Cons: Poor communication, Not many vegan options

Is Fish Sauce Vegetarian? - Edit

I went there looking for some vegan lunch, the staff didn't seem to know what it was, I explained the concept and she showed me the options listed as "vegetarian" on the menu, just to make sure it was suitable for me, she kindly told me the whole list of ingredients... I couldn't disguise my scared face when she said that there were FISH SAUCE on a dish labeled as vegetarian!

I really appreciate her effort to find me some option, but after that I just had to leave and try to find some place else.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday May 26, 2015

Pros: service, patient staff

Cons: non vegetarian dish labeled as vegetarian

Good Thai vegan option in Bergen - Edit

We went here on our last night in Bergen. It turned out to be a great choice. They have a listing of vegetarian menu options, though you need to specify that you're vegan -- our Pad Thai came with egg! The curry was delicious and the portion sizes are quite large.

They could do with adding a vegetarian spring roll, but I guess the market's not quite there yet. There just aren't that many options for vegans in Bergen, so this one was pretty good, considering.

Pros: Large portions, Good food

Cons: Specify no eggs!

Return to Bergen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ma-Ma Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1306 times since Jul 2013.