M Cafe De Chaya

Contact 310-858-8459

9433 Brighton Way, Beverly Hills, California, USA, 90210

Serves meat, vegan options available. Except for fish items, menu is all vegan and prepared in the tradition of macrobiotic cooking principles. No eggs, dairy, or white sugar used. Has paninis and sandwiches, wraps, rice bowls, sushi, vegan desserts, deli salad, and soy drinks. Also a location on Melrose Ave. Open Mon-Sat 9:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Macrobiotic, Organic, Take-out, Bakery, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan

M Cafe Review - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my review.

I've eaten at the other M Cafe locations (Melrose Ave and Culver City-now closed) and was happy to hear about this one opening. However, this location is very small, the space is tight, and the food was only okay on the day I came here for lunch with friends.

The small glass display case features an assortment of side salads, sushi, sandwiches, and desserts. And the menu is the same as the other M Cafe on Melrose.

My husband and I met up here with a couple friends from out of town. We ordered a club sandwich (dry bread and kinda bland inside) and the chop salad (okay). One friend had a falafel wrap with a side of soba noodles (he liked his food), the other friend got the tofu with rice & veggies teryaki bowld (she liked it okay).

The space is small with limited seating, and the tables are placed very closely together. We were lucky to get a couple tables and combine them (there were a couple other customers standing, waiting for a seat). The ventilation is poor (only the door opened to fresh air outside, no windows opened) which made it hot and a bit stuffy with cooking smell.

I would definitely return again to try it out, though maybe at a time when it's not busy. Otherwise, take-out is always an option.

Pros: vegan-friendly, some food tasty, vegan sushi

Cons: needs better ventilation, tight space

tasty brunch - Edit

We finally made it to this location to check it out. When we arrived there was only one other table of people, so it was very pleasant not to be crowded and the weather was perfect, so we were very comfortable although the location is a bit small (not that the Melrose location has much seating either). The display counter was smaller, but all the regular items are on the menu or listed on blackboards on the walls. The woman behind the counter was very nice and friendly and pointed out that the desserts in the plastic counters were day olds for only a $1. Yup, one buck, so we got several to take home! She even kept them refrigerated and brought them over in a bag when we were done with brunch. As for brunch, I ordered the Carolina BBQ seitan sandwich (one of my favorites) with a side salad of speltberry which the cashier explained was delicious and refreshing and she was right. Dirk got the Vegan Benedict which he loved. We also shared a serving of the kale salad with peanut sauce which is one of our favorites. We ordered additional fresh desserts as well as we love them at M Cafe as they are less sweet and very tasty. The strawberry shortcake was light and divine. The chocolate mousse cake was very rich. Overall, we had a lovely time and only wish they were all vegan.

Pros: tasty and healthy, wonderful desserts , friendly staff

Cons: serves fish

Great veggie burger - Edit

Had the veggie burger with the works several times. Out of this world. Fries (both kinds) are delicius too! Breakfast burrito is delicious and recommended. It's small but fills you up so you are not stuffed. Desserts by Babycakes are good but I have had better elsewhere.

Pros: curbside pickup, reasonable, location

Cons: parking, limited seating

Not as good as expecting - Edit

I was really expecting to like the food here but I just didn't. The blueberry pancakes tasted like bread. The tempeh bacon was rubbery. My companion got some sushi and didn't like it too much. I went and got the almond croissant and it was hard and dry. I didn't even bother to finish it, which is saying something for me. The staff was uber friendly. One guy gave me 4 tiny peanut butter cookies to take home. I was thrilled. I'm so sorry, they were so bland and tasted like how I imagine dog biscuits might taste. I see they are going to for super healthy ingredients but I think they're sacrificing some flavor. I won't go back.

Pros: friendly, knowledgeable, good variety

Cons: taste was poor

Awesome Deserts!!! - Edit

I agree that this place is smaller than their other location. While I was waiting for some friends, I sat in their cafe and enjoyed a Vegan Strawberry Cupcake and a soy latte here last week. It's a nice place to hang around for a bit while getting your Vegan desert fill! I think this place is a little pricey though [that's coming from a Midwesterner, I understand prices are higher in on the West Coast ;)].

Return to Beverly Hills Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has M Cafe De Chaya closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1779 times since Feb 2009.