CLOSED: M and B Yummy House

Contact 416-516-2798

1263 Queen Street West (at Brock, in Parkdale), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M6K1L3

Originally established as a vegan Ethiopian cuisine place but changed to non-veg in late 2012 but reverted to plant-based again in March 2013. Oct 2013 reported closed to HappyCow, website not working.

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Ethiopian

First Review by sherill

Love it - Edit

I didn't know I loved Ethiopian food until I went to M&B Yummy. It is a lovely, unassuming (aka hole in the wall) resto on Queen W with an all vegan menu. I have only been able to order the combo platters, though, because other dishes are out (I really want to try the scrambled eggs). My favourites are the kik alicha and the fasoulia - both not spiced with berbere. They contrast nicely when you eat it with the spicier wats. One combo platter can easily feed 2-3 people with the large injera. Beers are cheap and I love the cheesecakes from Sweets from the Earth for only $3. They are wrapped in saran wrap in the display case, but for only $3 I don't care about the presentation. ;) Talking with the owner, I don't think they will ever get that Tofutti ice cream machine up and running again. :(

Best Ethiopian in Toronto - Edit

We have been going to this restaurant for over 4 years now and can safely say it's the best Ethiopian food in Toronto. We have been to many of the Ethiopian places along Bloor and Danforth and none match the taste and freshness of this restaurant. It's also the only all vegetarian/vegan Ethiopian place in Toronto. The springs rolls are amazing as well as the "beef" and "chicken" combos. The food is always extremely tasty and fresh and the owner is very friendly. The drinks are a good value too. Their Mill St Organic beer is only $3.50 a bottle which is a steal in Toronto and only a $3 corkage fee for a bottle of wine. If you really like fresh, flavourful Ethiopian food then this is your place.

wow - Edit

I ate there for Sunday brunch. It was totally awesome. the fake eggs were superb. The rest of the food was soooo goood. Recently I went back and found it is no longer open on Sundays mornings. I am confused and sad. I guess I have to go back and order the items as side options. I hope the eggs are available. The owner said something about how it she has to start the night before!

Pros: really awesome food

Cons: confused about hours, confused about brunch

Good food, and soft serve vegan ice cream! - Edit

M&B has a casual atmosphere and nice selection on the menu. It is all vegetarian, which is unusual for Ethiopian. The food was good, although I think I've had better Ethiopian elsewhere in terms of the flavours. The real standout thing for me was that they have vegan soft-serve ice cream. I can't remember, but I *think* I even had it in a cone. It was a huge novelty for me and I'd go back just for that!

Pros: all veg, variety, vegan soft-serve

Awfull experience - Edit

First and last time for me.
I found this restaurant in this website with the best rate so i was like:"lets go!"
First step, i sent an email to know if the food was cooked alcohol-free: no answer.
Regardless i decided to try a friday night and i ordered a "chiken" and "beef" plate to take-out, after waiting 25min i asked for the remaining time, they told me another 20min so i got a coffee nearby at a freezing coffe time and after 25min the food was not ready. But no pain no gain! so after getting my orders i discovered that the 2 plates were 90% pasta and 10% veggies.
Very very salty and a way too spicy for me.
Thanksfully im living nearby a park with squirrels and raccoons i hope they had enjoyed it more than i did.
Im a bit hard but it was really disappointed.
Last but not least: they gave me the food in a no frills bag who broke right after i left the restaurant...so funny!

definitely recommend checking it out! - Edit

The best Ethiopian food I've eaten! It's definitely a hole in the wall kind of place, but it's not the ambiance you should be there for, it's the cheap delicious food. We're not from Toronto but I didn't find it too out of the way. We took the streetcar during rush hour and while a big chunk of Queen St was closed off for the Much Music Video Awards and it didn't take very long. We got a platter and added pumpkin stew to it and everything on the platter was delicious. Our server brought us some extra injera without us needing to ask. I believe everything on the menu is vegan, they have a few desserts that aren't made in house that contain dairy or eggs but they were clear about what was vegan.

Pros: cheap, delicious , friendly

Excellent appetizers, salty main - Edit

Really incredible appetizers but all three main's we have tried here have been way too salty. The last time it wasn't as bad but unfortunately I don't think we'll be going back unless they make a change or if we're just in the mood for some of their appetizers!

Pros: Amazing appetizers, Good prices, Friendly Staff

Cons: Main courses too salty

Inexpensive great food and a very friendly owner - Edit

I've eaten Ethiopian food all over the world and have seen a 100% vegetarian Ethiopian restaurant only one other time in Los Angeles where I found the food to be bland. Here, the food was flavourful and vibrant and the owner is super friendly and accommodating. The food can be prepared precisely to your taste and spiciness preference and special orders don't faze her one bit. I did miss not having Tej (honey wine) with my meal -- not vegan, I know, but still vegetarian. Perhaps the owner will find a source of Tej in the future. The ambiance is down-home, but we go for the food, don't we.

Pros: 100% Vegetarian Ethiopian, Super friendly owner, Cooked to order, flavourful food

Really really salty - Edit

My husband and I love Ethiopian food, so we went to this place with very high hopes. We were sadly disappointed. The appetizers we got were delicious, cheap, and well-cooked. The combo plates, however (one was a "chicken" plate and one was a "beef" one), were salty to the point that we felt kind of sick after our meal. The stews didn't taste as fresh as the Ethiopian food we'd been used to in Los Angeles. There are so many positive reviews that I'd like to go back and give the restaurant another chance. The owner was very nice.

Service was really really slow on the day we went. I think it took around 45 minutes to get our entree. We had to go put money in the meter before the food even came.

Pros: The food is all vegan!, Great appetizers, owner is friendly

Authentic, Salty, Injera-y - Edit

I love the food here (the other reviewers have discussed it in depth), but the curries are so unbelievably salty. My gf will not come with me anymore because of it. You need to be prepared to take in two or three days of your RDA of sodium. And a helluva lot of injera.

They have the only soft-serve vegan ice cream machine in the province, and perhaps the country. Unfortunately it's always been out of season or broken whenever I've shown up, so too bad for me.

Pros: great selection, authentic

Cons: too salty

Yummy indeed - Edit

My family (meat-eaters all) went along to humour me, walking in mumbling that they were already full, that they'd just have a bite. Four dishes and three desserts later and still going strong, the tune they sang was decidedly different.

Lovely little restaurant not quite in the heart of the commercial part of Queen street. It's out of the way location might be why there wasn't a large crowd when we visited. The owner is a gentle giant who isn't afraid of gently admonishing customers when she thinks they've ordered the wrong dish -- her recommendations were all good. We had lentil and beet salads, a "beef" stew, and a platter one injeera. All finger-lickin' good -- mock-meat goes better than I'd've expected with Ethiopean cuisine. The desserts weren't prepared on the premises (the vegan ones we tried bought ready-made from a vegan supply) but rather good nonetheless. And wish we had time for the coffee-ceremony at the end (sounded scrumptious and fascinating) but perhaps not the best way to round off our jet-lag :)

Definitely worth another visit next time I'm in town...

Pros: HUGE portions, Very friendly owner, Nice ambience

Cons: HUGE portions

Great Food! - Edit

I was extremely pleased with this restaurant. It was my first time trying Ethopian food since going vegan and I was pleasantly suprised. My husband is not a vegetarian loved it also. My owner is very nice and accomadating. Desserts were great also.

Pros: Service, Entrees, Desserts

The best veg food in Toronto - Edit

This is quite possibly my favourite all veg place in Toronto. Its my favourite place to take my veg or non-veg friends. Great coffee/latte's, wonderful fresh food and great service. My non-veg friends really like the 'vegetarian' platter, i am partial to the 'beef' platter.

Well worth a trip to parkdale. Highly recommend this place to all regardless of diet.

Pros: great food, great service, great atmosphere

very nice place ! - Edit

It was so good to be able to eat ethiopian cuisine, and the vegetarian combo taste so confortable, as excellent as a home-made meal ! An excellent vegan meal...

Pros: great service, ethiopan food !!, nice little place

Best Food in Toronto - Edit

My partner and I have never tried Ethiopian food before but decided to on our Toronto trip. The owner was the friendliest woman that ensured our visit was a memorable one. She even came out with her vegan eggs for us to try which were incredible and made me wish we had more time in Toronto to come back the next day. We ordered the vegetarian "chicken" and vegetarian "beef" platters. Both were delicious. The food was freshly cooked and slow cooked making it the most tasteful food in toronto. I have never eaten at a restuarant that tasted like home cooked food. This was definitly home cooked with a smiling face that made you want to come back every day to feel the comforts of being away from home. I highly recommend this restaurant and will definitly return to Toronto, possibly, just to eat here!

Pros: excellent food, healthy food, warm atmosphere

tender loving care Ethiopian cuisine - Edit

I first went into this restaurant quite by accident last winter, to get a brief break from the snow, during a wickedly frigid evening when the windchill temperature was close to -30C. As soon as I walked into the restaurant and smelled the cooking, I knew I had found the perfect place to spend an hour or two, until I could face the snow again.

On a night with weather like that, I was the only diner in the restaurant. I was warmly greeted by Zeni - the server, the cook, and the restaurant owner. She was wonderfully hospitable, as if she was welcoming family visits at her home.

I ordered the vegetarian combo, which took about 20 minutes to prepare. I love Ethiopian food, and have been eating at various Ethiopian restaurants around the city for over 20 years...since the first Ethiopian restaurant opened on Bloor West near Lansdowne. After having eaten at so many Ethiopian restaurants over the years, I would have to say that the food at M&B Yummy is probably the best that I've had in all of Toronto's Ethiopian restaurants.

What makes the food so special here, is that I could sense, and taste, the care that had gone into preparing the food. It's that indescribable quality that reminded me of eating my grandmother's cooking - food that has been prepared with affections and with tender loving care. It was food that made me smile, even on a harsh winter night, and the satisfying food and warm hospitality have brought me back for many repeat visits over the past months (even after the menu prices have gone up).

What's more, there are some menu items at Y&B Yummy that are not often found in other Ethiopian restaurants, such as butucha and pumpkin stew - both have since become my personal favourites, along with the cabbage soup and the lentil soup. They are like comfort food with an Ethiopian twist.

Being a vegan, it's not always easy to find tasty and inexpensive food when dining out. The food at this restaurant is both affordable and excellent, and the warm hospitality makes the dining experience even more satisfying. My only complaint is the restaurant's location...it does take time to get to the restaurant's Queen West location, but I would say that the food and the overall dining experience are well worth the trek.

Pros: good value, friendly owner, excellent food

Cons: location

Great little place - Edit

My fiance and I ate at M and B Yummy recently and had a great time. The owner is a very kind and sincere lady and the food was great. We had a huge plate of food with enough to take home for dinner the following night. All of the main food items are vegan, though some desserts are not, but everything is clearly marked. We really enjoyed being able to eat Ethiopian food that was entirely vegan. M and B Yummy is a great little gem of a place.

Pros: Great food, lots of variety, friendly service

Cons: Bathrooms could be a little nicer

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: M and B Yummy House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 563 times since Aug 2007.