LYFE Kitchen

Contact 650-325-5933

167 Hamilton Ave, Palo Alto, California, USA, 94301

Serves meat, vegan options available. Flagship location of this healthier eating concept restaurant, est. in 2011 and co-founded by former McDonald's restaurant executive with menu co-created by vegan chef Tal Ronen. Offers some vegan choices, including a burger, pizza with vegan cheese, among others. Open Mon-Thu 7:00am-9:00pm, Fri 7:00am-10:00pm, Sat 8:00am-10:00pm, Sun 8:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by jacaciodebarros

Nice idea, very popular, kinda a ripoff - Edit

I have eaten here a couple times in the past few years. The ambience (natural light, live plants, high ceiling) is nice when the place is not heaving with crowds. The food is tasty enough, though I got the feeling the cooks and staff were having to try really hard to make vegan orders vegan, which never inspires trust.

My major gripe was my general restaurant-food gripe: too much oil, salt and sugar. Exacerbating that, though, was the small portions. I'd rather get a big hearty bowl of beans, greens & grains, lightly dressed, than these frankly greasy entrees. Give me nutrient-rich clean calories over empty fat calories any day.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 16, 2014

Pros: Nice ambience when not crowded

Cons: Noisy, Crowded, Pricey for what you get

veuzent 25 Oct 2014 - We have eaten here several times. While I will agree many entrees have too much sodium to be healthy, the beauty of this restaurant is they post how much sodium is in each dish, fat, etc. Also, if you ask them if salt is added during cooking and it is, they are willing to not salt your food so you can reduce your sodium easily. Lastly, I always ask for dressing and sauces on the side since that is where lots of fat, sodium, and sugar often resides. Then I can add just a little - or even none at all if I don't think the sauce is worth the calories or sodium after sampling it - and find I can eat perfectly healthy food here with a number of possible options. They really want to be accomodating. One time a friend came who had an alergy to seafood and they were very careful to mark it down and bake her lunch in a different oven that is NEVER used for seafood.

LYFE Kitchen - Edit

This used to be one of my favorite restaurants. I like the vegan menu and the vegan unfried chicken is delicious. I did go once while they were filming and the staff must have been thrown off. I ordered the (vegan) chicken and was served a veggie burger (not a big deal because it was vegan and delicious) but they also gave me the chicken I ordered which was not Gardein chicken but the gross, dead kind. I had the waitress check that it was vegan, she did and assured me it was but I still wasn't convinced and asked the manager who confirmed it was the dead deal. He apologized and gave me a $10.00 coupon asking for another chance and gave us two free desserts which were delish. But I had stomach cramps about twenty minutes after my bite of dead chicken and thought comping the meal as well as a gift card might have been a better solution. I don't think I'll ever order wheat meat in a mixed restaurant again, just in vegan restaurants where I know there is no possibility of getting the two mixed up.

I do like the restaurant and will return but just change my orders to unambiguously vegetarian dishes.

Pros: Delicious vegan offerings, Reasonably priced, Nice vibe

Cons: Non vegan kitchen

lyfe kitchen - Edit

This place has a menu with clearly marked vegan foods, but I found the vega options lacking, as you'd be mostly constrained to salads. The salad I ordered could've been great, as it had very fresh vegetables, but I made the mistake of not ordering the dressing on the side. Dressing was way too sweet.

Pros: vegan menu

saysuan 05 Feb 2013 - I am surprised to hear you say that. I have had the unfried Gardein chicken, tofu fish tacos and veggie burger and they were all delicious.

Return to Palo Alto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has LYFE Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.