CLOSED: Lydia's Kitchen

415-258-9866

31 Bolinas Rd, Fairfax, California, USA, 94978

Offers gluten free raw food as well as cooked foods. Buckwheat crepes, raw salads, raw entrees, raw green soup, raw desserts, and more. Previously vegan-friendly, now 100% vegan as of June 2011. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Categories: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering

First Review by EscapeFromSF

Yummy fare in Fairfax - Edit

If going to Point Reyes, or visiting the San Rafael area, Lydia's Kitchen is well worth a meal/snack visit.

Lydia's ambiance is real relaxed: walk-up counter to order, pick up your food, and communal tables. They do have a cute little corner table towards the end of the hall under a "tree", and what seems like a private area to relax near the food prep area.

As of May 8, 2011, the menu on their website differs from the cafe. They do offer vegan burgers and the one I ordered was fantastic! The vegan burger came with a cashew spread and instead of a normal bun, the bread patties were two round pieces of crepe. Innovative and delicious! One pays extra for additional items like a house salad and these homemade seasoned kale crunchy tots, but it was worth it. My dinner date had the Pesto crepe and while I'm not a fan of shitake mushrooms, I enjoyed what I tasted.

Service was quick, casual and friendly. And the best part was I felt like a regular even though it was my first time visiting.

The pricing: It's comparable to other similar cafes/restaurant. My only hesitation is how much of what's on the menu is organic/local. I'd be willing to pay extra for the organic/local food, but none of it is indicated on the menu. My burger, side salad and kale chip-things were a total of $16 (including tax). Seems a bit steep, but compare this delicious "burger" with one from the Iron Springs Pub in Fairfax, and the total prices are similar.

Last, the San Francisco Chronicle recently had a nice review on Lydia's.

If I'm in the area again, I'll make a point to visit and try some other food/drink offerings.

Pros: Splendid service., Variety of food options., Vegan Burger!!!

Cons: Website needs updated menu

Photo of CLOSED: Lydia's Kitchen  by <a href="/members/profile/Veggie%20Salvadorean">Veggie Salvadorean</a> <br/>Pesto Crepe; Side Salad; and Vegan Burger <br/> May 8, 2011  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/23822/8556'>Report</a>

Pesto Crepe; Side Salad; and Vegan Burger

Lydias Kitchen 22 Feb 2013 - Thanks so much for the great review, you painted a great picture. Our menu is now updated. I also wanted to let you know that we get all of our produce as locally as possible -- we buy some from our local farmer's market and grow a small amount of our food ourselves!

In health and joy,
Tess from Lydia's Kitchen Cafe

Oasis in a vegan desert - Edit

It seems ironic that there are so few vegan restaurants in relatively liberal Marin County. But in the midst of what is really a very sparse area for truly vegan restaurants comes a place that's worth traveling for.

The food is simply excellent and the people are wonderful. The place is arranged to encourage community, with long tables in a narrow space that encourages people to chat. There are no tables that isolate people or encourage intimacy, so this may not be the place for quiet conversation.

Initially, the restaurant was a "laptop-free zone" but now offers WiFi, encouraging people to linger. This is consistent with a practice in which while you order at the counter, you still have the option of paying at the end--it's that kind of a place.

Pros: excellent value, wifi, interesting people

Cons: closed on Tuesdays, lack of intimate space

Lydias Kitchen 22 Feb 2013 - Thanks for the review, we greatly appreciate it! I wanted to let you know that we are now open on Tuesdays!

Hope to see you soon,
Tess at Lydia's Kitchen

Return to Fairfax Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Lydia's Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.