CLOSED: Luna Blanca

Contact 976-5515-9651

16 Tourist St, FPMT Buddhist Center, 1F (at opposite Zanabazar Museum), Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 2100036

Plant-based vegan food, has children's menu. Non-smoking and no alchohol. English, Mongolia, Russian spoken. Able to cater events. Relocated in 2014 from 400 meters east of current space. SEP 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Take-out, Mongolian

First Review by Pea

If I was leaving in Oulan-Bator, I would often go there - Edit

I enjoyed so much their food, tasty and good.
I went couple of times, I ordered a combo, a soup and a kiwi cake which was awesome and more (but I don't rememeber).
Staff speak English which make things much easier.

Pros: food, tasty, friendly staff who speak English

Cons: atmosphere

Delicious! - Edit

I got the Mongolia combo plate which comes with two different types of dumplings with vegan mayo and a salsa dipping sauce. I also ordered a side of kimchi which was spicy and perfect. The seabuckthorn juice is refreshing and interesting. I also ordered the chocolate cream cake which was massive and super rich! The service is great and the staff speaks great English.

On my second visit I ordered the Mi Favorita which where soy pieces served with rice and veggies in a sweet and spicy tamarind sauce that was incredible.

Pros: everything

Cons: No wifi

Unbelievable - Edit

I had the sampler platter, so I could try some traditional Mongolian foods, and it was unbelievable.

Service, quality, and taste were all delicious. I wish I had eaten here more times.

The chocolate cake for dessert is also AMAZING.

Prices aren't bad, either.

Pros: All vegan, Delicious, Friendly

Excellent - Edit

I visited on a quiet Sunday mid-afternoon. I enjoyed the Mongolian combo plate. It was an odd choice for me, with several forms of fake meat (which I generally don't order; I'm almost exclusively plant-based, unprocessed). It was the fun choice: as close to eating Mongolian as I will ever come. It was beautifully presented and tasty. Pleasant service, nice music and they spoke English better than I.

Pros: Service, taste, presentation and "fun"

Cons: Kind of a long distance from my house. ;-)

Delicious food, great staff - Edit

The mongolian combo plate is really delicious for those of us vegans who want to taste the famous mongolian "fast food" for once. They have several other dishes, some are western like.

You can order some side rice and other little dishes for a really small price (approx 1000 T) if the usual plate is not enough.

The staff is also very helpful, joyful and friendly.

After coming to this restaurant, though we were eager to discover some other food and places, this place had been so delicious that we came back to treat ourselves a second time.

Blanca, you beauty! - Edit

After reading the reviews on happycow, I decided I had to check this out while in UB. I was not disappointed!

For mains, my girlfriend had the soy meat chunks with mash potato/gravy and I had the 'Mongo Combo Plate'. We were incredibly happy with these after a 30 hour train journey from Beijing!

We also had the ginger and sesame tea (which I loved, but too sweet for Emily) and a smoothie (quite small), and finished it all off with the chocolate cake. All were brilliant.

We liked it so much we went back for round two a few days later. This time, we had the 'Mi Favorista' and another dish that I've forgotten the name of, both were real tasty but fairly small portions.

This time we tried the seabuckthorn juice, which I'd highly recommend, and we finished with the ginger and cinnamon cake w/ walnuts on top, which we both thought was delicious.

Overall, a really lovely place, friendly staff with varied menu, brilliant drink choices and most importantly of course: fantastic food.

Pros: Easy to find, Fridge with mock meats to buy, Helpful and friendly staff

Cons: Slightly small portions

delicious, but not all fresh made... - Edit

We had been there five times. It's maybe the best vegan restaurant in UB. The salads are fresh and tasty. Try the carrot salad! yummy!
The vegan cakes are the same like at Cafe Amor. The mock meat dishes are tasty, but the mock meat and the sauce are convenience food out of the plastic bag. You can buy these convenience food also there.
Try also the ginger sesame tea.

Pros: good service, delicious food

Cons: use convenience food

Best of the best - Edit

Not only the best vegan restaurant in this city, but one of the best vegan / vegetarian restaurants I have ever been to.
High quality ingredients and at the lowest price! Nice service. Friendly atmosphere. Easy to find. Highly recommended!

Pros: Food quality, price, service

Loving Luna Blanca - Edit

I have been to Mongolia a couple times now, and after my first trip and trying Luna Blanca I go back every time I am there. I love all the foods that I have tried there, and I am not even vegetarian or vegan. Everything is very nicely done, and the atmosphere and staff are very good.

Great good and ambiance - Edit

Delightful service, ambiance, food, huge selection of eat in and take out vegan food. Quiet side street location very close to the city center. Three of us tried several entrees and deserts - everything was good. Would definitely go back. Amazing for this small city to have over 30 vegan restaurants. Quite a delight.

Pros: Tasty food, Great ambiance, Friendly staff

Tasty, friendly veggie heaven in Ulaanbaatar - Edit

Luna Blanca is one of my new favorites. I ate there several times while in UB, so i got to sample almost all of the menu, which is essentially vegan except for a few items with optional cheese (clearly marked on the menu). For my taste, everything was quite good.

The restaurant was founded by three sisters, and all the cheerful staff are meditators. Some speak English quite well.

Faves: Mongol Combo Plate, Ariun Zoog, Chef Salad, vegan cheesecake, ginger tea with sesame

Good: Luna Blanca special soup, homemade noodles Mongol style, Yin & Yang (vegan BBQ fish), chocolate cake, cookies, hawthorn juice

OK: Shish kebab (fine, but less interesting than other comparable items, IMHO), muffins, seabuckthorn juice (recommended only for the adventurous)

Note that the place can be packed with locals during the lunch rush.

As of May 2010, the map is wrong, so to be clear: Luna Blanca is about a block and a half west of Sukhbaatar Square. Start at the National Museum of Mongolian History and walk westward down Juulchin Gudamj (the same street as the entrance to the museum), and you'll find Luna Blanca less than 2 blocks down on the left, behind a "Japanese garden" that's more like a small park.

Pros: Very tasty & almost totally vegan, Friendly, comfortable atmosphere, Very good value for the quality

Lunalicious - Edit

It's a great little place hidden by the Asashoryu Garden, just west of the Sukhbaatar Square. A five minute walk from the UB Guesthouse. Came upon it by chance really. The shish-kebab was excellent. A bit pricier than most restaurants, but very reasonable for a vegan friendly restaurant. Don't forget to pick up some of those delicious 1000T cookies on your way out.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, excellent cookies

Cons: none

Delicious - Edit

This place is really great. We eat here every day while in the ciy. Delicious salads (the chef salad is superb) and very good fake meat dishes. they also sell the salad dressing and 'meat'. Vegan cakes, herbal teas, english menu, nice staff and not expensive. A little vegan/veggy heaven in a very meat and dairy country. very popular with mongolians and westerners, dont miss it!

Pros: excellent food, good price, nice atmosphere

Cons: none

Return to Ulaanbaatar Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Luna Blanca closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2689 times since Mar 2009.