Lulu's Local Eatery

Contact 314-300-8215

3201 S Grand Blvd, St Louis, Missouri, USA, 63118

Saint Louis area vegan food truck operator, opened this brick and mortar location in May 2014. The food truck continues to caters at events - check its webpage for latest times. The restaurant offers a more extensive vegan menu with items like sweet potato burger, sweet potato falafel wrap, buffalo cauliflower wrap, kale salad, and stuffed avocado boats. Street parking only.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by rajdhar

Could have eaten EVERY MEAL here! - Edit

So, this trip I had the Thai Crunch wrap with a peanut sauce that was SO AMAZING, I ordered it as a salad to take home for dinner. It was so fresh, crisp, and flavorful that I couldn't get enough! I also tried the mushroom gyro, which was really filling and delicious. A solid option. My father, a proud omnivore, had the tacos, and he really enjoyed them as well...which is saying something. If I can get him into a vegan place and he doesn't complain, I KNOW the food holds up on it's own! ;)

Quaint and tastety - Edit

We had a solid meal from Lulu’s. It is a quaint place in a neat St. Louis neighbourhood. The food was excellent, especially the pretzel bites and the vegan burger on a pretzel bun. We had to order to go as it wasn’t quite dinner time and we needed to get back on the road. We would love to come again and eat in.

Noce variety - Edit

This is a very nice vegan café that as far as I know only offers vegan options. I had the buffalo cauliflower wrap, which was very good! The cauliflower was crispy, the buffalo sauce was tangy, and it was very large… I almost couldn't finish it! They have a good selection of vegan options, and it's not all kale and quinoa! LOL a very hip place to grab a quick bite when you're on the run in the city

Pros: all vegan, good selection

Cons: location (I live in the suburbs)

Delicious food and lots of choices! - Edit

Very cute eatery. We had just come from the airport and were hungry and found this place through the Happy Cow app. We made a great choice! Friendly people and everything we ordered tasted amazing!!
Highly recommend and we will be back as well.

Pros: Delish!

Cons: Street Parking - but it is worth it.

Vegetarian, but not necessarily healthy! - Edit

OK, this is very tasty and fun food, which hasn't moved far from its food truck roots. The problem is that it's just not very healthy! Fried food leads the menu. Sure, they are tasty, and they are vegan, but the deep fried buffalo cauliflower is just not health food, so don't kid yourself! It would be nice to see some lighter, healthier items fill out the menu (that are as tasty as what's already there!).
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 16, 2016

Pros: all veggie, tasty, fun relaxed atmosphere

Cons: not very healthy, not too cheap either

Love at first bite - Edit

I had a serious panic moment after my first bite of a Loaded Nacho Crunch Wrap because I thought they must have gotten my order wrong- there was no way it was meat and dairy free! Everything I've tried is delicious so far and I have to pace myself not to eat there every single day! Love that St Louis has these kind of awesome vegan options.

LOVE - Edit

This place is absolutely amazing. Hands down the best food I have ever tasted. I am completely in love with it. Their menu changes so you never run out of things to try. I love going when it's warm and sitting outside!

Favorite place ever! - Edit

I love the history of lulus starting as a food truck. We are frequent visitors of Lulus it is by far our favorite restaurant ever. I have non veg friends who love this place. Everything on the menu is phenomenal and you can tell there is so much move and thought put into creating the food. So lucky to have this in STL!

sensational flavors , fresh ingredients - Edit

Love love love this restaurant. Hard to find parking but worth the effort. Very pretty patio area for good weather.I would go back if they were open tomorrow

Pros: everything was amazing!, speed of service!, friendliness of staff!

Cons: parking is difficult to find., The commute from Atlanta's long., The food is AMAZING... I miss it already!

So so good - Edit

I was torn which entrée to get, so I ordered two. No regrets.

Lulu’s is 100% plant-based aka vegan. I really like the ethics of their business. They compost over 95% of their waste, local and organic when possible, grow some of their ingredients in the space and on top of the food truck, and structuring their menu around the seasons. They have a beautiful patio area, so we couldn’t resist sitting outside. The inside was welcoming as well. Meters were free after 7pm, which was another bonus!

The first entrée that caught my eye was the sweet potato black bean burger with chipotle sauce on a pretzel bun. I am such a sucker for a pretzel bun.

It was fantastic. I want another one right now. The textures and flavors blended together perfectly. I also enjoyed the fresh red onion and greens.

My second entrée was the Buddha Bowl. Made with udon noodles, marinated tofu which is then stir-fried with shredded carrots, broccoli, green onion, and cilantro. Some peanuts and black sesame seeds on top finish it off. Oh yea, the best part. The housemade peanut sauce. I am also a sucker for a good peanut sauce, and this one was one of the good ones. I also enjoyed the different textures and flavor blending together in the bowl on this one.

I also enjoyed a Bushelhead Cider which was slightly dry while still somehow remaining sweet. I really enjoyed it as well.

If you are in the area or just passing through, make a point to find their food truck or visit the restaurant. Oh seriously, get one of their pretzel buns. The servers were super friendly. On the way out I got a high-five from both of them for finishing both entrees.

Pros: pretzel bun, awesome staff

Cons: only street parking

Good food, a bit too spicy - Edit

The BBQ Jack was great.
The Jackfruit Banh Mi was really good too.
My personal favorite was the Buddha Bowl.
We also ordered the kids taco and the Tater Tots. Both were spicy which was a problem for a 3 yr old.
The healthy cookies were yummy but the cupcake was way too sweet.

The restaurant is nice and welcoming.

we love this place! - Edit

This is one of our favorite restaurants - good, hearty food, big portions, at a reasonable price. We can feed a family of four for under $30, all of it high-quality ingredients. The sauces are excellent. I don't think there is any dish we don't like (and we've had most). Only drawback is that a lot of the food is too spicy for our kids' taste, but they could eat the cauliflower bites all day.

Pros: high-quality ingredients, interesting menu, reasonable prices

Cons: kids don't like the spicy dishes

Savory Menu, Very Friendly Staff - Edit

Savory menu food, cool art work, and friendly staff. Winter menu focuses on butternut squash, potatoes and cauliflower in bowls, wraps, tacos and burgers. I enjoyed the Quinoa bowl, especially the paring of the butternut squash with the walnut pesto sauce. I invited 4 non-vegans and they really liked the falafel wrap, tater tots and chili. The falafel wrap smelled amazing and looked like a gyro! They have a few gluten free options. Non-vegans liked the ranch sauce but felt so so on the butternut squash cheese. Unfortunately by 8:00 they had sold out of the special cupcakes so if you want dessert you should arrive earlier. I will definitely go back and bring more friends to try it. All of the staff members had a lot of enthusiasm for the food and enjoyed talking to customers. It's nice to go to a restaurant where they're excited to welcome new people.
Updated from previous review on Saturday February 28, 2015

Pros: Tasty Food Parings, Cool & Casual Vibe, Lots of Beer Options

Cons: Street Parking, Only 1 Salad Option

So happy I learned about this place! - Edit

I am transitioning to a whole food, plant base diet. I was excited about this place. Lulu and her staff were super friendly and proud of their food, which they should be. It was delicious, filling and affordable! I was happy to see that they offer call in carry-out. Will absolutely be coming back.

Pros: whole food, plant-based food , affordable , bike rack outside

Great use of local and organic! Allergen friendly! - Edit

We were pleased by their use of many local and organic ingredients, and the variety of menu options including gluten free and vegetarian! We will definitely be back soon to try everything that we didn’t get this time around! Check out our blog for more information!

Experience Renewed... - Edit

I gave them another try on my recent trip home and I received EXCELLENT service and food! I'm a fan!

Updated from previous review on Monday November 17, 2014

UPDATE:
I received an apology from the owners & an explanation of the misunderstandings that took place. I have updated my rating to reflect that,
& I'll give them another try.

BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER BITES:
Delicious! No complaints, whatsoever, about this dish, which was my favorite out of what I tasted. Excellent flavor, mild spice level (to me, but I do have a high spice tolerance).

KALE SALAD:
Tasty, healthy option as a starter or light lunch. They forgot the salad dressing, however, so I had to drive all the way back down to the south side (a 45 min drive) to get that dressing.

TATER TOTS:
I ordered 2 orders because I LOVE potatoes and I'd heard (read) so much about them and how spicy they were. The menu description indicates that they have a cajun seasoning... They did not. Or should I say, my orders did not. Despite my high spice tolerance, I can still taste the presence of spice, when it exists. It did not. I'm thinking that mine got made sans cajun seasoning, so to my dismay they were just regular ole tots. However, the spicy chipotle dipping sauce was yummy!

CAULIFLOWER PO BOY:
The cauliflower, spices, and that "spicy" remoulade sauce (it was not spicy, at all) were very good & flavorful. The french baguette was too hard, so I couldn't bite into it and eat it as a sandwich. The bread basically served as a bowl, and we just ate the toppings/fillings.

BUFFALO BLUE BURGER:
Solid dish. Fresh, tasty, & the pretzel bun was the perfect accompaniment to the burger patty. The taste of sweet potato in their sweet potato black bean patty is prevalent, so keep that in mind if you're not a big fan of the orange potato. My mother (she LOVED it) is still talking about this burger, a week later.

The food, in general, is ok. Some great dishes, some ok dishes. The customer service is where they suffer. I called in my order @ 45 minutes prior to arrival and still had to wait @ 10-15 minutes upon arrival. When the food was finally ready, there was some guy (not the nice young man who rang me out at the front counter; he was very helpful) who 1- gave me a dirty, "what do you want" look, 2-wouldn't talk to me, but held my food hostage while he tried to confirm that I had already paid for my $40+ tab, and wasn't trying to steal it. I was appalled, frustrated, & annoyed.

Pros: yummy buffalo cauliflower bites & sauces, eco-friendly to-go containers, all vegan & supports local businesses

Cons: double-check any to-go orders, weekend parking is a nightmare

hooray Lulu's! - Edit

I was so excited when they announced a brick and mortar location. Their food is delicious and reasonable. My boyfriend thinks its a little spicy (as he steals another buffalo cauliflower bite) so I dont eat there as much as I would like.

Buffalo cauliflower bites are ridiculously good, amazing job with all their sauces. Buffalo blue burger: Spicy, creamy, crunchy, filling! (my favorite part, I'm not a carrot sticks and kale water sort of vegan... I want FOOD that's delicious and satisfying and Lulu's has it) sweet potato falafel-wish it was crispier but that's a personal preference. Sweet potato flatbread was very yummy and I hope the kale and shaved brussel sprouts Caesar salad becomes an everyday menu item, VERY good!!

So happy they're here!

Pros: unbelievable food

Cons: sometimes inexperienced staff

Comfort Food! - Edit

Nice atmosphere, clean and well kept. Started with the buffalo cauliflower bites. The dipping sauce was awesome and portion was great especially since it was only $5.95. Winter quinoa bowl was really amazing, one of the best kale/quinoa combos I've had. The place does a great job on all the sauces too. Looking forward to the next road trip that puts us through St. Louis so we can done here again.

Love Lulu's - Edit

Lulu's Local Eatery Food truck is such a great addition to STL. If its stops were a little more convenient to where I work, I would be there very often. They have a large, very creative menu, although in my experience they are often out of several things (which I think is excusable with a food truck). It is all vegan and the food is flavorful. I especially like their avocado boat, which is stuffed with quinoa and topped with a creamy chipotle sauce. I am intrigued by such items as the orange cauliflower and the spring roll burrito, but haven't tried them yet.
It is a little more expensive than typical food trucks, but still not expensive. They will be opening a brick and mortar store this spring, so I am definitely looking forward to that.
One negative comment is that there are often long lines and preparing the food takes time so it can often take a while to get your food. Understandable, but worth knowing.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 16, 2014

Pros: Creative Menu, Rather Large Menu for a food truck, Very tasty

Cons: Long lines, Little Parking in their normal locations

Consistently best (mobile) vegetarian in St. Louis - Edit

What's better than inventive and delicious vegetarian wraps and other lunch options? A vegan food truck that brings aforesaid veggie delights to your door- (or work-) step. We are lucky to have Lulu's visit our workplace at least once a week, and their options always provide consistent favorites (the legendary sweet potato falafel wrap) as well as some new flavors (buffalo cauliflower wrap this past week). Service is friendly, prices are reasonable ($7-$9), so it's my go-to favorite for a quick lunch.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 16, 2014

Pros: mobile (food truck0, flavorful , innovative

Cons: sauces can be a little creamy

Return to St Louis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lulu's Local Eatery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8294 times since Jul 2013.