CLOSED: Blythe Anne's

• Other Other
  • Vegan

646-481-5852

516 E 6th St (at Ave A, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10009

Est. 2009 formerly as Lula's Sweet Apothecary with name change in 2013. All vegan frozen dessert and vegan ice cream parlor, styled after old time soda parlors. Also serving baked goods, coffee and tea, snacks. FEB 2016 SHUT THIS MONTH. Open Tue-Wed 3:00pm-10:00pm, Thu-Sat 3:00pm-11:30pm, Sun 3:00pm-10:00pm.

First Review by gonepie

Awesome vegan ice cream shop - Edit

Awesome vegan ice cream shop. Totally incognito. Not only is there no vegan indication on the outside, but not even a sign saying "Blythe Ann's." Strange. You must know the address. It's like a weird word of mouth only spot, but the ice cream is delicious. My non-veg friend loved the cake batter soft serve, which I also got. And because I was just visiting NY, and couldn't stop at just the soft serve, I also got a second serving of the mint chip ice cream with chocolate cookies on top. Yum. Wish I had one of these out in CA!

Pros: Delicious, Soft serve! A vegan dream

Cons: Must know address! Odd secret spot, Cash only

Best Vegan Sundae Ever! - Edit

The vegan cookie dough soft serve is without a doubt the best thing I have ever put in my mouth. So delicious. I was sad that I had gotten another flavour in my sundae as well because that meant I had less cookie dough soft serve. I highly recommend this place. So good. I wish I lived in New York so it could be more than just a memory!

Great vegan ice cream - Edit

After a dinner in a restaurant nearby that didn't turn out as expected the ice cream in this little shop managed to save the day (food wise talking). Incredible brownie sundae with toppings, cream and a cherry. What else could you wish for?

Pros: Excellent ice cream, Great toppings

BEST VEGAN ICE CREAM!! - Edit

I was in this place a couple of years ago and thought I had landed in paradise. There were different base alternatives -soy base, cashew base... and maybe more?-, plus lots of flavours and toppings to choose from.
I had dark chocolate ice cream and peanut butter ice cream. Both were mouth watering but, even though I am a chocolate addict, I thought the peanut butter was the BEST ice cream I had ever had, great flavor, rich, heavenly creamy and not too sweet. I am usually very demanding and I found it just perfect!

ABSOLUTELY A MUST!!!!
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 16, 2014

Delicious - Edit

Some of the best vegan ice cream that I have had. Friendly staff. Can't go wrong with any flavour you choose. They are changing their name.. but they don't know what their new name is yet..

Go there! - Edit

As a heads up: This place is so tiny I walked passed it even though I was looking for it. I don't even want to spend a lot of time on this review because there is really just one thing to say about it: Go there!
Some of the best ice cream I have ever had. And it's not your usual soy stuff. The atmosphere is super sweet, it's like you are stepping back in time, and a time I at least didn't see coming. If you want to satisfy your sweet tooth and you want my advice go there... and if it's between this and Babycakes which is almost around the corner: Go to Lula's.

Pros: Delicious, Lovely , Something special

Great sundaes - Edit

Vegan ice cream parlour = paradise

I recommend you go all out and get a sundae with all your favorite ingredients.

They sell Go Max Go Chocolate Bars as well.

Pros: deliciousness, nice neighbourhood, nice vibe

Cons: not open everyday

YOU HAVE TO TRY IT - Edit

I just got back from NYC. Unfortunately Lula's only opens at 3 pm, so it didn't work with our trip to go in person. BUT Blossom carries Lula's ice cream so I was able to have 3 flavours after dinner. And. it. is. a. fricking. mazing.

I had 3 cashew-based ice creams and they were all so flavourful and creamy. And the flavours tasted so natural, unlike most ice creams (vegan and non-vegan). The flavours I tried were almond-vanilla, pumpkin and apple (the latter two might have "spice" or something like it in the proper name). All 3 were heavenly. I literally shut my eyes while eating them to experience the flavour. It is just so high quality. I have been vegan for almost 7 years, and have sampled vegan ice creams around the world, and this is the winner so far!

If you are vegan or do not eat dairy for any other reason, I cannot recommend Lula's highly enough. It was a highlight of my trip to NYC.

Pros: Creamy texture, Rich flavour, High quality

Cons: Ridiculous store hours

velvety & delectable - Edit

this is what heaven would taste like. fortunately for all of us, heaven is made-up, and this place exists!
plus, blythe is like a ray of sunshine.

Pros: yes

Cons: nope

It's alright - Edit

My partner and I came here for dessert after having dinner nearby. He wasn't really the adventurous type and happily settled for the chocolate flavor. I was up for something more interesting and creative but felt a little disappointed with the flavor selection that evening. Ended up having the caramel with ginger cookies. Was good, although a tad too sweet for my taste. Place was very small with only a few bar stools.

Pros: vegan ice cream

Cons: place too small

Vegan Ice Cream Shop - Edit

Vegan ice cream sundaes! That's all that really needs to be said I think. Some of the best I've cream you'll ever eat.

Pros: Amazing flavors, Brownie sundaes

Cons: Tiny space, Very limited seating

Cash ONLY, ATMS not near! Cake batter soft serve! - Edit

Lula's is beyond amazing. The Cake batter soft serve had us hiking to an ATM to double down on that insanely sweet confection. I have a hard time wrapping my taste buds around how soft serve can taste like you are licking the beaters @ grandma's after she's made your birthday cake... Cute small ice cream shop with a few additional treats, bring your cash, however, no plastic accepted!

Pros: soft serve

Cons: cash only

Contributions +17

Heavenly! - Edit

I've been hearing so much about Lula's that I was able to convince my friend to walk across town for some ice cream. It opens at 3, and we arrived as soon as the door opened.

The place is small, and it only has 4 stools to sit on (be prepared to go for a nice walk while you eat your ice cream), however the decor is reminiscent of an old-fashioned ice cream parlor, which definitely makes for a fun experience.

I had a chocolate shake. It was absolutely delicious, and it's completely soy free for those who cannot, or will not eat soy. In fact, Lula's is more than friendly for those not wanting to consume soy, and you won't feel as though you are limited to only a few soy-free options.

My friend also had a scoop of ice cream (can't remember the flavor), and she thought it was delicious. She is also lactose intolerant (still eats dairy) and was so happy when her stomach was not bothering her after she ate.

The woman next to us was enjoying a banana split. I already know what I am going to ask for when I return.

Pros: great taste, good menu, plenty of soy free options

Cons: not many places to sit

Hurraw for cashew ice cream! - Edit

I have been trying to reduce my soy intake, so I was excited to find cashew ice cream at Lula's...delicious!!

Pros: Cashew based ice cream

Cons: Very tiny space

Verry Sweet - Edit

Too sugary sweet for me and my bf, but cute place. We ordered shakes. I think next time I would just get a soft serve and not cake batter or chocolate peanut butter (way too heavy on the pb).

Pros: Friendly service, Cute shop, Open late

Cons: Not the best I've had

Vegan heaven - Edit

A tiny little cafe, so small I couldn't find it at first, but what a find it was once inside!! I didn't know it was possible to make vegan ice cream til I ate here. Absolute paradise. I had a sundae of peanut butter and chocolate chip ice cream, chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips, a hot fudge sauce, pecans and coconut whipped cream with a cherry on top. Wow!!!! Absolute heaven to the tastebuds. And I think it was about $7. Seriously you couldn't tell it was non dairy and I know my friends who're all carnivores and think I am a crazy person going vegan would love to eat this sort of ice cream. Wish I'd been in Nww York longer to be able to go back and back and back and back

Pros: delicious

Updated review 2012! - Edit

My previous 2009 review is below but a june 2012 update - we were disappointed in the changes found this week on our second trip, there was only one soft scoop ice cream option (cake batter which is not the most exciting of flavours and was the only soft scoop back in 2009!) and there were lots of hard scoop options but seemed to be safer (boring?) than back in 2009. The mixed berries flavour was nice but no vegetable flavours and the server was not that smily or welcoming. The whip coconut cream was excellent but looking at my previous review its time Lula went back to her earlier creativity especially as competition is hotting up with Stogo now open. We expected a lot more given how good it was last time and how friendly she was.

Even heavy snow could not keep us away from Lula's and on our holiday we went there twice. Really friendly welcome, you can try as many ice creams as you like before you buy and you could buy everything!! Absolutely amazing, the ice cream is made daily on the premises mainly from cashew cream and they do some unusual flavours. The green juice is an aquired taste, it's like vegetable ice cream but does mix well with a chocolate ice cream. The cake batter soft scoop ice cream was amazing as was the rocky road. Highly recommended, I'd have gone back again if it wasn't so cold in January!!
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 10, 2010

Pros: excellent food, Cool venue, Nice topping choices

Cons: Not moved on from 2009 , difficult to find and not nice area, doesn't open until 3pm

must try! - Edit

Holy hell, best ice cream I have ever had. A must for any vegan or lover of ice cream in NY

Pros: vegan, open late

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Blythe Anne's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.