Lukemieke

Vlamingenstraat 55, Leuven, Belgium,

Serves two dishes each day plus a wide range of desserts, and water is complimentary. Garden seating in summer. Popular with students. Try the chocolate cake. Sources fresh produce from nearby farm market. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-2:00pm, Mon-Thu 6:00pm-8:30pm, Fri 6:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Western, Take-out, European, Belgian

First Review by Niels Van Och

Not so good anymore (for vegans) - Edit

A couple of years ago we were regular customers and very often the dish of the day was vegan. Then the owner changed and it became more and more vegetarian. And if you ordered vegan we got the impression that our plate was just reduced. On our last visit we asked before ordering if we could have more of the vegan food to replace the dairy containing parts of the dish. We received our plates and compared them to the regular plates on neighbouring tables. We actually received less of the vegan options... We complained but staff denied our claims. That was/is the last time we went there. Luckily there are by now so many other decent options in Leuven. For vegans not really recommended.

Pros: used to have a decent dish at a reasonable price, good balance between veggies and stable food, healthy dish

Cons: mostly vegetarian, uncreative replacement of non-vegan options

Leuven's vegetarian restaurant - Edit

I went to Lukemieke for lunch. They had 3 menus items: a soup, an hot dish or a plate with a lot of dfifferent things (curry, rice, lentils, salad, mushroom croquettes). Plate was 14 euros and was very delicious.
I also tried a piece of one of their cakes, also a success!

Lukemieke is a very good option for vegetarians in Leuven, moreover if you want to try something else than the chains (Greenway, Loving Hut)

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Delicious and balanced, Staff

Cons: Limited choice

Daily dish + cake = superbe meal - Edit

Great place to persuade your friends to eat more vegetarian, because of the daily dish. There are always the best salads and vegetables in it, together with some seitan or tofu. I alwys discover new tastes myself!
Of course the best comes last: the cakes!

Pros: Dessert, Always different vegetable receipts, Atmosphere

Great atmosphere - Edit

I am not sure why so many people are saying that the vegan option is just the vegetarian without some items - I have been to this place three times and they have always added something to replace whatever they took off. I have always eaten the daily board and really enjoyed it. I feel like they could make it clear whether the free appetiser is vegan, and maybe a vegan dessert would be nice (these are not labelled and it is not clear either way). The food is simple and wholesome and the atmosphere is great. I really like this place, although it is true that the food is not "gourmet" - but what do you expect in Belgium for 15 euro?

Pros: accommodating of vegans, great atmosphere

Cons: closed on weekends, service can be confusing

cozy and small but a bit unusual - Edit

We did not quite know what to expect when we entered the small house which actually turns out to be a restaurant. The menu is very weird: you only get two options: the baked version of the meal of the day or the default version (which seems to contain a portion of the baked one?).
Water is free, you have to fill it yourself outside. It's small scale and cozy, and relatively cheaply prized. I was quite stuffed and couldn't handle a piece of the self-baked pie.

I'd recommend it to others who like something alternative but warn them first :)

Pros: free water, unique take, one choice, cozy, next to the park

Cons: a bit too "unique"/weird?

fair, but no gourmet restaurant - Edit

I've lunched here a couple of times, and find there to be not too much variation. It's good veg food, but no gourmet experience.
They offer a vegetarian soup and dish of the day, that will be accomodated for vegans upon request. That however means leaving out the dairy and egg preparations on the plate and replacing them with more rice or grains. Which made it dull.
Prices are reasonable.
There were many desserts on offer (cakes) and they looked fine, but none of them were vegan when I lunched there.
The place is spacious, also has outdoor seating. Free tap water, which you can go get yourself on a tap outside.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 07, 2011

Pros: outdoor seating, free tap water

Cons: few variation in main dish for vegans

Good for vegetarians, not so good for vegans - Edit

I had lunch there only once, I don't think I'll get back as as a vegan the choice is limited. The dish of the day made vegan consisted on taking away the dairy bits and left it half empty charging me the same price as the usual which I thought was a bit weird. I found the service was a bit strange too: there's a lot of self-service going on, which I didn't get at the beginning. The food was ok, not as good as I expected it to be honest.

The restaurant is popular with the local academic community as Leuven is a big university pole in Belgium. For a vegetarian it can actually be a good choice, for vegan, a bit less. I had not the chance to experience the other dishes, maybe there are more vegan options but it wasn't made clear to me as when I asked for vegan options I was delivered the veg dish of the day made vegan.

The bread they made is very nice though.

Pros: informal crowd

Cons: small

Best vegetarian food in Leuven - Edit

My girlfriend and I dined here once, and enjoyed it thoroughly!

The service system is somewhat unusual: you collect your cutlery yourself, and you can choose to fill a caraffe with (free) tap water. The rest of the food (except dessert) is served at the table though.

The menu was limited: a plate of the day which consists of about six small dishes, an oven dish, or a few salads were the only main courses. However, the plate of the day was definately worth it.
There were three possibilities for first courses, including a soup of the day, and a few desserts. Try one of the homemade pies!

The price is quite reasonable: for a soup, main course and dessert, I paid 17 euros, and it was an excellent meal.

As a final note: the restaurant also provides take-away food (in reusable containers) and a catering service.

Definately a place worth visiting if you're in Leuven!

Pros: free water, good service, tasty food

Cons: limited choice

Return to Leuven Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lukemieke closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.