Lucuma

Contact 40406047

Calle Justo Sierra 1741 San Antonio, Guadalajara, Mexico, 44160

Previously a taqueria and fast food eatery but changed to fine dining restaurant in 2014. Menu now offers raw food, wraps, soups, healthy desserts, plus specials. Open Mon-Sat 1:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 1:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Raw, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by aprocopio

Even better second time... - Edit

Both Google Maos and Maps took me to Calle Justo Sierra 1869. So, I walked back a block and a bit. If you arrive by taxi, I recommend you walk back, due to all the one-way streets - especially during the busy bar nights.

The standard plastic furniture has been replaced by beautiful local pine-accented metal sets, with a nice Lucuma 'brand' burned into each table. BTW - lucuma is a fruit that greatly resembles an avocado.

Always nice to have the assistance of an English-speaking waiter, although I expect I would spend more if the menu was bilingual. It's a simple marketing fact, and even more important in a country with more foreign Vegetarians than local. In China and much of SE Asia each menu item is accompanied by a picture for visual stimuli, which definitely makes you buy more.

A nice albeit fru-fru menu, but relatively limited for a gluten-free Vegan. I still like to support them.

Sopa de Tortilla (Tortilla Soup). P64 (US$3.45/$4.58 Cdn). A tomato soup with small chunks of avocado and shredded tortilla garnish (ask for maiz if gluten-free (myy zz). A nice soup, but unremarkable.

Portobello Wellington, P146 (US$7.85/$10.45 Cdn). A superb stuffed Portobello. On one side comes an unbelievable amount of live lettuce stuffed delicately into a small signature glass bottle, and on the other a small gravy bowl of wonderful taco-type sauce with gentle Jalapeños and a Vegan protein crumble (I'm guessing). The Portobello is so wonderful on it's own, I only smothered every second bite with the sauce. My kingdom for bite-sized taco bowls from Canada! :)

I treated myself to both Adacodo-Lime Pie P60 (US$3.22/$4.30 Cdn) and Chocolate Cheesecake P69 (US$3.70/$4.95 Cdn)...half of each to take home, of course.

Both desserts came garnished with a strawberry quarter, laid out on beautiful black slate slabs. Desserts and slate were drizzled with liquid chocolate and then finely chopped nuts. Both were raw desserts save for a baked nut bottom 'crust'. The Chocolate Cheesecake was divine, served at room temperature. The Avocado-Lime Pie was less tastebud-exciting, mostly I believe because it was cold to almost frozen.

Total bill (with two halves of desserts to-go) was P339 (US$18.22/$24.27 Cdn) - so roughly US$15.00/$20.00 Cdn with one dessert. High for average Mexico, normal for ritzy Mexico, just fine for a Vegan-craving Vegan! (To compare: my solo Thai-chain meal at PF Changs a few days ago was P550 (US$29.56/$39.38 Cdn))

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-23

Pros: Great everything except menu delivery.

Cons: Menu needs pictures or English to capitalize.

Best vegan restaurant in Guadalajara - Edit

This is one of the best vegan restaurants I have been in every aspect.

Pros: Excellent food, Great taste, Many but no too much options, so is cool

Cons: Small place. It is a house divided in small rooms

You will wish to come back - Edit

It is so good you have to consider making reservation in advance. I love the water jars they use and the beverage flavour is sugar free.
Desserts are unique -or at least I have not seen them anywhere else-.
My prefered plate is guacamole hamburger

Pros: Awesome desserts, Great service

Cons: Opens quite late, Too crowded, A little bit spicy for non chilli eaters

Great vegan option in Guadalajara - Edit

Generally there aren't many vegan restaurants in Mexico, even in big cities, so one is always glad to find one, specially if it's a good one.

Lucuma has a good menu, although it can be on the pricey side for local standards. Having said that, the food was really good, including the tortilla soup, the pizzas and the lemon pie. Not being usually a very big fan of substitutes, the non-dairy cheeses used for the pizza were excellent.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Guadalajara. There are only a couple of reasons I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5: The 'rice water' that I ordered was basically flavorless. Also, part of the menu is a bit expensive considering the portions, and although the general design and atmosphere is nice, there are details which could definitely improve like the somewhat poor lighting at night (could use warm light instead of white), or the red metal/plastic chairs which feel very cheap considering the kind of place.

Pros: Great menu, Excellent pizza, Fantastic desserts

Cons: Somewhat pricey, Furniture needs improvement, Lighting needs improvement

excellent vegan food in Guadalajara - Edit

After searching for vegan gourmet options while traveling to Guadalajara, I found this place. It is highly recommended: delicious dishes, kind attention and flexible to my requests.

Highly recommended for those who want to ear something more than salads. Not too many options like this in Guadalajara.

vegan mexican foods - Edit

I am not very fond of this kind of this refined food and nothing was exceptionnal. Though they propose a long menu and one can mix vegan-mexican specialities with international must-have food.
The place is pleasant and can be full a some periods. I found it a bit expensive in comparison with the mexican standards.

Pros: diversity, all vegan, location

Cons: expensive, nothing amazing

Can't believe there's a vegan restaurant in Mexico! - Edit

I've been to Mexico sooo many times and never imagined that I'd ever be ever to find a vegan restaurant, but we found this one right before our flight left.

It was great, the waiters were nice and attentive, and the food is around the same price as vegan food in the USA, if not less.

It's a little hard to find because it looks like a house, but it's right at the corner of the cross streets.

I had the Mediterranean Pizza and loved it, my mom had the Mole and was a little surprised at how sweet the banana was, but she still liked it.

I got some chocolate pieces for 15 pesos each, which is a little more than a dollar, but I think it's reasonable since it was organic.

Go try this restaurant! It's so rare to see any vegetarian restaurants in Mexico, let alone vegan restaurants and we need to support them as much as possible (:

Pros: Good prices

world class vegan - Edit

An island of great food in this meat eating city... there for a film festival, went twice with a friend, we both enjoyed it tremendously. Loved the food, the service was great and always with a gentle smile.
A most.

No mames! - Edit

Yes my review has a Mexican rude word but that's what I exclaimed for the best reasons while I ate there. You know how it is in a 100% vegan place where the options can be overwhelming. I ate a really tasty vegan pizza followed by cheese cake. May have had a foodgasm. My friend was omni and loved the burger and claimed the ham was very convincing. It might be fast food but seriously this is great!
The service was efficient and also a really good and cute location too.

Pros: great vegan food, good service , reasonable prices

Cons: needs to open longer, drinks license

Vegan Tacos - Edit

Title says it all.
Great vegan tacos. They also have special of the day, which vary every week, so be sure to ask for the specials when you go.

Pizza, hot dogs, and desserts are also vegan and delicious.

Pros: Vegan Tacos

Delicious food, superb service, and great decor. - Edit

First vegan restaurant in Guadalajara.

Great decor, I love how they use old boxes to serve as tables and book shelves, and old beer bottles as candles holders.

Superb service, the staff is very friendly and the owner of the restaurant is awesome, he came to talk to us about how we liked the place and he even prepared (he is a chef) an improvised dessert for us that day.

Delicious food, I tried almost all the tacos and they were really good, I also tried the pizza (I went there three times) and it was very tasty (macadamia cheese), my friends and family tried hotdogs and burgers and they all loved the food. The also have natural flavored water served in vintage jars, it is an amazingly good concept.

Oh yeah, it is not expensive at all!

Pros: excellent food, good value, nice vibe

Cons: not opened on weekends

Return to Guadalajara Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lucuma closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3399 times since Dec 2013.