Lucky's Taproom and Eatery

Contact 937-222-6800

520 E 5th St (at Wayne Ave), Dayton, Ohio, USA, 45402

Serves meat, vegan options available. Opened in March 2011, nearly half of the menu can be made vegan, including burgers, turkey/ham sandwiches, hot dogs, chili, quesadillas, tacos and more. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-2:30am, Mon-Fri 11:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 10:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by julesy bear

Vegan junk food heaven - Edit

We will drive an hour just to have dinner at Lucky's. We've tried almost everything but our go to are the buffalo seitan nuggets (with a side of vegan ranch) followed by the vegan Reuben without 'meat' extra vegan thousand island and the yummy crispy fries. The beer and wine selection are great too. Oh gosh almost forgot the vegan chilli is a must!!

Pros: Large selection of vegan food, Friendly staff that understand what vegan means

delicious vegan Burger - Edit

We love to visit Luckys when we're visiting family in town. They have a delicious seitan Burger that my husband and I both love. they have other items too, including occasionally desserts like vegan twinkies and cupcakes. good beer options too.

Pros: good food, good beer

Cons: really busy on weekends

Love to Visit - Edit

This is the only restaurant in Dayton that I insist on going to whenever We are in town. When we visit my in-laws, this place is a must! My husband loves the chili, my daughter loves the hot dogs and I love it all. The seitan nuggets are great- it is not something I find anywhere else or would make at home.
I wish it was a stand alone restaurant and not a bar. I feel so weird having my kid in there. We only go for lunch so it isn't loud though and they are kid friendly.
If you are reading this and wondering whether to try Lucky's... Do it! You'll be glad you did.

Pros: They have a separate Veg grill , Homemade seitan, Lists of food for your money

Cons: Looks dark rand seedy, The Veg options cost more than meat

Good stuff, mostly soy/wheat meat - Edit

Tried this place out late Monday evening. Glad to see so many vegan options on one menu! We had the seitan wings which were great (BBQ sauce is totally vegan with no honey!) and the vegan reuben with veggie turkey (tofurkey) along with daiya cheese. The sandwich was so-so; tofurky was so tough it would kind of fall out of the sandwich when I ate it. Fries were good. The other people in my party had good food, though.

Overall this place is rad and I would return. They really do try with vegan options and in a town like Dayton, that means something.

This place caters to vegans! - Edit

I love this place so much I dream about it, especially the vegan quesadillas with soyrizo. Also good are the vegan hot dogs (and buns) loaded with chili and cheese (daiya). I adore the sweet potato fries and the salads and soups are great too. They even have vegan ranch dressing! Other items include peanut butter cookies, fried pickles, fake ham & cheese (yves), a soyburger, and a chickpea burger. I'm not one for yves products much, but the burgers are made there and are good. Not very tall, but very good.

Their beer is also amazing. They have craft brews and locals like Hudie. The tvs are a little jarring at first but you can phase them out after a minute. I've always found the staff to be courteous and genuine, but sometimes I find regular sour cream on the side of my quesadilla. As of now, they don't carry that. It hasn't happened lately, so maybe it's just an opening *duh* moment.

It's a bit tiny but it rarely fills up. I think it's pretty affordable.

Pros: vegan and vegetarian, beer, their own parking lot

Cons: tiny, can be noisy sometimes, oregon district has festivals sometimes

decent vegan food - Edit

I have eaten there twice and found that the vegan items are plentiful but can be hit or miss. Friends had the vegan ham and cheese and it was the same as you would make it at home--too basic and not exciting at all. I had the vegan hot dog with vegan tequila chili and daiya. It was loaded with good stuff and very tasty. I got two huge loaded dogs and a plate of delicious sweet potato fries for $8! They also had vegan peanut butter cookies that rocked. Husband had vegan burger and thought it was good--little charred from grill but he liked that. They have a huge and interesting beer menu as well and pinball machines! We plan to go again next time we are in the Oregon District.

Pros: several vegan options, sweet potato fries rock, vast beer selection

Cons: some vegan items need work, loud bar scene

Return to Dayton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lucky's Taproom and Eatery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2389 times since Apr 2011.