CLOSED: Loving Vegan

Contact 505-890-1555

3409 Central Ave NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, 87106

Vegan restaurant operating since 2012; previously at 5109 Coors Blvd NW. Offers different choices of vegan sushi. LAST DAY NOV 13, 2015 PER OWNER.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Take-out, Asian

First Review by jnnmm552

Very expansive menu, many choices! - Edit

Feels great as a vegan to be able to have anything on the menu!

According to the flyers on the tables, this place was rated #1 vegan sushi restaurant in the US by PETA in 2013!

I went the healthy (and cheap) route and got a bento box with brown rice, green salad, Seaweed salad, miso soup, grilled veggies and potstickers like dumplings. All of it was great and only cost $12! According to our server, this is the most commonly ordered dish.

My husband had jalapeño poppers and a crispy roll and loved them both. There are so many rolls it's hard to choose!

I would gladly go back here again! We were just passing though town on a road trip and I can't wait to come back!

All Vegan Sushi- Pretty Good - Edit

I've been here a couple times and enjoyed my meal both times. There is a wide variety of options, both sushi and not. The portions are very generous, I always walk away stuffed. The location couldn't be better.

I thought the atmosphere was a little strange. Huge and open, it almost felt empty. Excessively quiet. A little strange, but not terrible.

Pros: Wide variety of options, Location

Cons: Atmosphere

great food, lovely neighborhood - Edit

Wonderful food and in the Nobhill neighborhood. Have been missing sushi since going vegan so it was so nice to find this jewel. Super yummy sushi and full kitchen menu. Good wait staff and casual atmosphere. After eating take a stroll in the area to great little shops and the Nobhill Co-op.

Finally Vegan Sushi! - Edit

Would've been nice if they offer quinoa and brown rice in stead of white rice.

It's nice to have more variety of vegan mock seafood like salmon, tuna, scallops, etc

Pros: Varieties, Location, Portions

Cons: Lack Quinoa, Lack Brown Rice, Lack Eel

A step above the rest - Edit

I recently visited ABQ and was excited to see so many 100% vegan restaurants (though most are asian-inspired). Loving Vegan ended up being my favorite. Located in trendy Nob Hill, it has a large, beautiful, sunny space and a menu to rival any asian restaurant - vegan or not. My boyfriend ordered the bento and I got the pad thai and egg rolls. I am a pad thai fanatic, I rarely order anything else, and Loving Vegan's pad thai is probably one of my all-time favorites. I had to pay $2 extra to add vegetables (a vegan wants vegetables, who knew!), but the sauce was spot-on, the assortment of broccoli/carrot/zucchini was perfect, and the chewy tofu was delish. For $10 + $2 for the vegetables, it was an extremely delicious filling lunch and I had a leftover portion for dinner! My boyfriend scarfed up his bento before I could even steal some, he loved the combo which included sesame chick'n and rice, salad, sushi, miso soup, and egg rolls for $10. Their miso soup was good, and the egg rolls were really just deep fried spring rolls. Loving Vegan is definitely on my list of places I'll be visiting again!

Pros: Large menu with variety, Innovative & beautiful offerings, Trendy location/atmosphere

Cons: On-street/metered parking

Love Loving Vegan! - Edit

This is one of the best vegan restaurants I have ever been to-- in the world. Not fancy, but wonderful, delicious food. The sushi options are fabulous. The hot main dishes leave a bit to be desired, and tofu is not a listed option; I am not a fan of the chewy fake meat choices in the hot items. However, the appetizers are great, including the shrimp tempura and age tofu! Also, they have a range of desserts, such as cupcakes, that are divine!

Pros: sushi!, shrimp tempura

Love Loving Vegan-My non-vegan friends love it too - Edit

This is another one of my monthly eateries when I come into the big city for my weekly shopping. I actually have a hard time deciding between this and Thai Vegan. But this place is absolutely wonderful. I usually order the Miso soup, veggie egg rolls and the New Mexico Roll. I have had other items as well with my non-vegan friends and they are all delicious! It is a bit pricier but well worth it when you eat out as little as I do. I usually read and enjoy the atmosphere as I am usually by myself. The service is excellent and you get your food very fast.

Pros: Clean, Peaceful, Good service

Cons: A bit pricey

Yumm for vegans & non-vegans too - Edit

As a fairly new vegan it's great to be able to go in a restaurant and have Absolutely Anything you want!!

Did you know they also have cupcakes!

The waitress is always super nice and helpful!

My non-vegan friend said "I'm loving loving vegan sushi"! They have other stuff besides sushi too!

Pros: Everything is fresh and clean, Everything in the entire restaurant is vegan

Cons: Hmmm, nothing really-other than you need change/do

minority report - Edit

Admittedly I am not a fan of Japanese food. I felt queasy after my Loving Vegan meal. I'm writing a negative review (which I seldom do) because this restaurant touts itself as endorsed by PETA, yet, according to the local business newspaper the owner owns several other eateries that feature chicken and pork. How is this different from restaurants described as veg friendly? My vegan/AR friends wish only to patronize businesses that to not offer animal flesh as food whether it is on site or at another eatery owned by the same person.

Pros: clean, convenient

Cons: owned by non-veg company, a bit pricy

Perfection! - Edit

This was the first place we ate it while visiting Albuquerque and we had to restrain ourselves from going back for every meal after that. We got the amazing roll, loving vegan roll and the heart attack, all of which were absolutely fantastic. The other vegan restaurants in the city are great but this will definitely be the first one we go to when we visit ABQ again!

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Good Value

delicious & beautiful food! - Edit

We got the amazing roll, the monkey balls, and a spare ribs bento box. The monkey balls were the favorite, crisp and sweet. I couldn't eat the spare ribs because they were a little TOO authentic, but my girlfriend loved them. The ginger tea was delicious, and the server was very nice. There were cupcakes and brownies available for desert, but they were a little dry. I will definitely be going here again.

Pros: lots of choices, delicious, friendly service

Cons: dry desserts

Loving This Sushi - Edit

The Amazing Roll, Dynamite Roll, Forever Green Roll, and the Loving Vegan Rolls are all excellent. Best vegan sushi I've ever had. They have super good service and they make the sushi on the spot for you. They also offer very good vegan bento boxes with vegan spareribs and other vegan meats. The gyoza, heart attack appetizer, and the monkey balls appetizers are all good to order for a large party, too. Must visit for vegan food in ABQ and worth the drive.

Pros: Excellent Vegan Sushi, Excellent Bento Boxes, Excellent Service

Amazing food and service! - Edit

Though small and plain, this is by far my favorite vegan restaurant in town. The sushi chef is so friendly, remembers all of our favorite rolls, and makes amazing food! The futomaki roll is delicious as are the bento boxes-especially with spareribs!

Pros: Delicious food, Personalized service, PETA's #1 Veg Sushi Restaurant

Vegan sushi-thon - Edit

Hello sushi! Ever go to a joint with your friends and be stuck with kappa and avocado rolls and rolling your eyes thinking: wow, I could have a better meal just about anywhere... Ok, well, this is your sanctuary. Vegans can eat everything on the menu, everything!

The special rolls are spectacular - with items like bell peppers wrapped around the sushi rolls, bbq sauce, portobello mushrooms, asparagus, sweet potato, avocado, cucumber, and mango as ingredients. This place is amazing. Tempura and spiciness, stir fry and bento boxes - you will not be disappointed in the amount of food you can eat. However, the non-sushi items are only mediocre. Go elsewhere for noodles or rice entrees. Save room for as many special sushi rolls you can stomach - they are so exciting, it's worth it.

I dream of having a place like this come to my city, but alas, it would make me gain tremendous weight. Delicious vegan sushi to satisfy all of your wildest vegan-sushi dreams, and even to create new ones. So creative, it's awesome!

Pros: Special rolls, Sushi rolls, Nigiri

Cons: Wait time seems long when so hungry, More vegetables would be nice

Loving Loving Vegan - Edit

I've only tried the sushi there, but some of their other dishes seem like they'd be good. The NM roll and the Monkey Balls are my favs, but everything I've tried has been pretty good. I wish they would have a location closer in the city, but I'll make a point to go there whenever I find myself on the West side.

Pros: Delicious!, Friendly

Cons: Inconvenient location, A few items seem a little pricey

Yummy Vegan Sushi! - Edit

I was thrilled to find a restaurant with such a large selection of vegan sushi. I had the miso soup & salad to start then had the New Mexico roll (AMAZINGLY delicious tempura green chile), Caterpillar (beautiful and yummy) & cucumber roll (thought I could use something refreshing after the others but couldn't finish this - the others were too good and filling!). Service was great. Friendly and welcoming. I found out after I ate that they also offer brown rice which I would have preferred. It may have been listed on the menu and I just missed it.

THis isn't your typical Asian restaurant. It's more like a "diner" style but cute and clean! I don't understand all the coffee art on the walls though...

Pros: Welcoming, quick service, Tasty vegan sushi!

Cute place with lots of vegan selections - Edit

If you are living in or visiting the Albuquerque area then give this place a try. It is based on Japanese style food so you will find the usual sushi and such items on the menu. They also have bento boxes, soups, and salads. The prices are a bit high for the amount of food but this is what I expect for a vegan restaurant. They have veggie choices like portabello mushroom and the processed vegetable proteins like fake chicken, beef and shrimp. I rarely eat the processed stuff so I leave that up to you to try but the veggies were decent and the soup was just right.

Enjoy this place and let them know you want this to last by eating there.

Pros: Clean, Good service

Cons: Expensive

Return to Albuquerque Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Loving Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6974 times since Jul 2012.