Loving Hut - Ziqiang

Contact 038-566-353

503, Ziqiang Road, Hualien, Taiwan, 973

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegetarian living. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Serves food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and more. Name in Chinese 愛家國際連鎖餐飲. Open for breakfast and lunch service. Only prepackaged items during dinner hours.

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by JesseD

Got there too late... - Edit

We arrived at 2pm and he said 'no more food'.... So just bear that in mind everyone!

They still had some things in their steam cabinet, so we bought some buns and some sticky rice (the ones wrapped in a leaf) and some sandwiches for the next day for the gorge.
The buns were SO PLAIN....I assumed they'd have flavour or something inside....but no. Just a bright yellow bun with zero flavour...shame, but better than nothing!
The rice was decent, it had some mock meat/chickpeas inside which we both liked.

The sandwiches however, were just too far out my comfort zone haha. if you live in asia, then you're probably used to everything being laced with sugar....but a sandwich made with sugary bread, containing mashed pumpkin, salad and apple slices mixed with some sort of savoury mayonnaise....it was a struggle to finish it. It was better than going hungry though, so I am grateful I could at least eat!

If you want a proper meal, I'd aim for midday as I'm unsure really when they stop serving!!
However Greenland is not too far away, they're open until 2:30 and you can attempt to communicate a vegan dish there.

JesseD 16 Jun 2015 - I'm sorry but your review made me laugh. "If you live in asia, then you're probably used to everything being laced with sugar....but a sandwich made with sugary bread, containing mashed pumpkin, salad and apple slices mixed with some sort of savoury mayonnaise." So true, and it makes me realise that I've been here for a while, because sandwiches with mayonnaise and sliced apple seem normal to me now. I'd never make one like that myself though!

Disappointing: don't go there in the evening. - Edit

We went there on saturday evening. Before I checked on the Loving Hut website to be sure about the opening hours.
Once there, we just found two bored persons watching TV. The kitchen is running until after brunch, then they stay open only as a shop to sale vegan product. I was with a taiwanese friend and she was able to let them know that on the website it is written that on the contrary during the weekend they are open only in the evening.
The lady then agreed to make some food for us and I asked about the stinky tofu, which I really wanted to try. They don't have it anymore. To have some proteins dishes I had first to buy the protein from the freezer and than the lady would have cooked it for me.
I appreciated the offer, but 5 min walking distance from loving hut there is a nice local place where we had dinner.

Pros: vegan

Cons: wrong info on the website

Good Loving Hut - Edit

This is is a fairly typical small-city Loving Hut. It serves a range of simple but delicious, satisfying meals, at very reasonable prices (about 100NT each). It also serves a range of drinks, including fresh coffee and smoothies.

The best thing about this Loving Hut is that they open at 6:30 every day, and they sell packaged sandwiches and rolls which are perfect for taking into Taroko Gorge for hiking, as they keep ok (it's cooler there) and their wrapping can be easily carried around afterwards (unlike say a take-out meal box from a buffet). Even if you've just had breakfast it's worth coming here for these before a trip to Taroko Gorge.If you're staying in the gorge I would take some and keep them in the fridge where you stay for the next day, unless you know you're going to get food there.

They also have quite an impressive grocery store. It's worth getting some snacks for when your sandwiches run out, but chances are if you're in Hualien you won't want to stock up on kitchen supplies, which is a pity because some of them look really good.

Pros: only vegan restaurant in Hualien centre, simple, delicious, inexpensive food, take-out sandwiches for Taroko gorge

Cons: a little far from train station

Return to Hualien Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut - Ziqiang closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.