Loving Hut - Wan Chai

• Friend
Contact 852-25743248

2/F Luen Tai Building, 93-99 Wan Chai Rd, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individual family operated. This location is self service style where you order at counter from its extensive menu. Last order is 9:15pm. Seats 108. Accepts cash or Hong Kong's local 'Octopus' payment card. Nearest MTR Wan Chai station, Exit A3. Previously on Hennessy Rd.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Take-out, Asian

First Review by Powerbex

loads of choice, too salty - Edit

I really wanted to love this restaurant, they have almost everything I wanted on the menu, and it's rather cheap.
However, everything I tried was way too salty, tasted a bit too much artificially flavoured(perhaps it's because it's supposed to be like a fast food restaurant?)
Anyway I'd definitely come back hoping to find something I can love, I have to say staff were super friendly there, it's also a nice environment to eat too !

Loving Hut Wan Chai - Edit

Bright and clean. No frills vegan "cha tsan teng" with the normal HK cafe staples at a comparative price. We went around 2pm on a weekday and it was half full. We ordered a set where you choose three dishes to go with rice for $50 and a charsiu flat noodle stir fry for $60. Both came with a drink. They even have a free lemon water refill station and a small selection of vegan groceries. Fresh and tasty meals win friendly service.

Pros: Reasonable price, fast service

Great value for your money - Edit

This is an excellent find: A vegan paradise amongst an abundance of restaurants. Friendly staff eager to explain the menu. Try and sit by the window to enjoy the busy street life at the bottom while enjoying the food from the 2nd floor. When taking a menu a drink is included - I choose the malt tea which is genuinely refreshing. Desserts are truly advisable and they even have Happy Cow ice cream. Should you have a pet they also sell vegan pet food.

Pros: Good selection , Takeaways

The Perfect Hangout Spot - Edit

This loving hut is a safe haven for me and my vegan friends -- everything on the menu is vegan and delicious. The staff are always super friendly and remember us each visit, often giving us free desserts. The occasional live music creates a chill atmosphere and the grocery section has many vegan products you can't find elsewhere in Hong Kong. I wouldn't call LH gourmet/health food, but it's cheap and tasty!

Pros: good value, friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: many processed food items, frequently sold out of menu items

My fav place in HK - Edit

When I was in HK I basically had to force myself not to go to Loving Hut Wan Chai all the time so I could try other places as well. I still ended up going 3 times in 5 days though. Everything I've tried there was amazing: vegan tarts, vegan barbecued pork rice noodle, XO sauce fried rice, soy milk tea, creme brûlée, etc. Staff was super friendly too, and it was adorable.

Pros: amazing food , friendly staff , many selections

Love this place! - Edit

I always have their set lunch meals because I love choosing different dishes to try. Everything is so yummy and with the right portions! I also love their hot vegan egg tarts and order them every time. I wish I lived right next door so I could eat there more often!

Pros: Awesome food, Friendly staff, Good value for money

Loving Hut - Wan Chai, Hong Kong - Edit

I find myself eating here with increasing regularity:-

* its all vegan

* its inexpensive

* the food is tasty

* There's a wide choice of food. There's plenty Chinese type food as you'd expect. There's also pizza with vegan cheese and vegan cakes

* free wifi

* staff are nice and there's a relaxed vibe

I've been helping run a vegan food meetup group in HK since April last year. Loving Hut is a regular on our venue roster

Updated from previous review on Sunday November 16, 2014

Pros: All vegan, Inexpensive, Vegan cheese pizza, vegan cakes

Huge menu, hard to choose! - Edit

Need to look carefully for the sign outside!

Me and my girlfriend went two times - first time, we got a pizza and... I can't remember what else >.<

The second time, we got that same pizza again (Laksa?), and two of the set meals (which allow you to choose 3 of 6 dishes - so we got to try all!). There was enough to fill us up very well, and being able to taste a range of dishes was a very nice experience. I became much more comfortable with mock meats, popular in Asia, thanks to Loving Hut.

Friendly waiters kept our waters topped up, and all staff were courteous the whole time. Live music was being played by guests (dinner/late afternoon time), and this coupled with applause from all gave a nice atmosphere.

The red milkshake with rose petals on top tasted intensely divine. I'd definitely be happy to go again - a few times! So much to try!

Pros: Huge array of dishes to choose from, Some dishes taste fantastic, Set meal lets you try many dishes

Love it! - Edit

Every time when we are in Hong Kong we go to the Loving Hut. The food is amazing. You have so much options and everything is so good and the most of the food is also healthy! Thats great! You have can soups, pasta, rice and delicious desserts. My favorite food there are the dumplings. Hhhmm, soo goood!

Pros: so delicious , good price, a lot of options

Overall Positive Experience - Edit

The restaurant is hard to see since it is not on the ground floor. The exterior of the building is not very aesthetically pleasing although the inside is very clean. The restaurant also sells vegan dog food and spices and some other vegan products. There are also vegan desserts which are rather hard to find in other places. The food is very inexpensive.

Pros: large variety of food, vegan desserts, low price

Cons: exterior not aesthetically pleasing

great place and friendly staff - Edit

I'm rediscovering this place... Indeed I had been here 2 years and for some reasons my first impression was not really positive. One of the reasons was that the menu is a bit messy with too many choices, and I guess I did not pick up something that I liked... Then a month ago, I happened to come here again, and I was surprised to find the food excellent, with good quantity and at a very cheap price. On top of that the staff is very nice. Now I'm coming back each time I'm around in Wanchai. I like the idea of this set diner with 3 dishes to select among 5 for 58hk$. Love their spring rolls and the vegan egg (everything is vegan here). Also like the pizza with vegan cheese. Entrance is a bit difficult to find, but you'll find it. Just go!

Pros: great choice of vegan dishes, friendly staff , friendly prices

Cons: you'll get lost in the huge choice of dishes

huge variety consisting of mainly mock meats - Edit

whenever i step into loving hut wanchai, i spend close to ten minutes poring through its vast menu board, even after a staff member has stepped out from behind the counter, patiently explaining that those in column 1 are snacks/appetisers, column 2 a la carte dishes (additional charge for rice/soup), and column 3 set meals (with rice/soup included), etc.

i think i've figured out why. i like my veggies - the more the merrier - and, for all its variety, the more reasonably priced set meals in the third column are weighted towards mock meat rather than veg, besides a helping of cabbage mix in some. if you prefer more greens, i'd suggest paying a little more and going for the a la carte dishes in the second column, adding rice and soup if desired. it may be a little too much for one person if you're a smaller eater, so you might want to bring along a container to pack leftovers.

today i gave up deciphering the menu and settled instead for the $58 set dinner - standard hk vege fare of rice, soup and a choice of 3 out of 6 pre-prepared dishes: tofu, gourd and cabbage. the food today was nothing to write home about and, given the price (i can't help but compare it with how much a similar yet more delicious meal costs during lunchtime at other wanchai establishments), i will choose from the main menu next time.

staff were friendly and though it's self-service one of them brought a glass of lemon water to me once i was seated. the place is bright and clean, cafeteria style, good for solo diners. propaganda tv plays on silently, so if you don't look up that's fine.

a tiny gripe - the long tables along the windows don't seem to have been measured properly and are a tad too high for eating naturally.

Pros: friendly staff, good for solo dining, decent portions

Cons: menu choices are overwhelming

Excellent Loving Hut branch - Edit

If I lived nearby I'd go there for breakfast every day (except they only open at 11). If you go, you have to try the Char Sui BBQ Soya Slices. The egg tarts were a little flavourless and I'd have liked more vanilla to give more of a custardy taste, or some lemon to make them more interesting. The coffee was excellent and had a pretty pattern on it, and they do a surprisingly realistic sunny side up egg. They also stock Happy Cow ice cream, which is amazing. I wish I'd had time to try more of their amazing and extensive menu. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, and there was even a live music act the first of the two times we went there on our trip to HK.

Pros: Good food, Good prices, Friendly staff

Loving Hut - Edit

As always when in doubt you can always find a Loving Hut while traveling. I Had the BBQ soya slices-char siew with rice, and a lemon soda. When you order you get a number and they will call it in English if you are speaking English to them, whic is helpful if you don't speak Chinese or understand the number being called. The restaurant is fairly large and plenty of seats to chose from.

It's easily accessible from the metro Wan Chai, the island line. Once you get to the corner of the main cross streets, its caddy corner from the department store and there's a little stair case you have to go up, about three floors.

I always enjoy going to Loving Hut anywhere around the world and look forward to another one.

Pros: 100% vegan, Affordable , Friendly staff

Best vegan place in the world for me - Edit

I have been there a couple of times due to my visits to Hong Kong and I can only recommend it to the fullest. It is a fast food chain based on a religious group of people, but that's only the background. The employees are very friendly and serving. They help you with the choices because they have a lot! You can pick soy, seitan, gluten free etc. it is crazy how much they offer. A vegan's paradise! The prices are really moderate and the food tastes really good. During lunch and dinner time you can upgrade you meal to a whole menu with soup and salat for a little more money.
You should try the organic soy- almond milk, it has little almond pieces in it and tastes like heaven!
I hope I can come back many many times!

Pros: great price, huge choice , really fast

Best Restaurant so far - Edit

Being vegan, I'm not particularly fussy as I'm used to 'putting up with it", but this was by far the best vegan restaurant I've ever eaten at. My boyfriend is a meat eater and he said it was the best vegan food he's ever had (apart from my cooking of course. Ahem). We had the vege cutlet with curry sauce, Japanese style, which was a better version of a veg katso curry from wagamammas. Can't wait to come back and try more!!!

Pros: Tasted amazing, Good size portion, Good value for what you get

Fave in HK - Edit

This is my favorite veg restaurant I have tried in HK so far! The staff explained how to order the set lunch (choose 3 dishes) and the food was ready promptly. The black pepper steak and laksa curry were especially good, very flavourful compared to the local-style restaurants. I also got some mock fish/chicken patties to take home as well as frozen char-siew buns.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff

Extensive menu with delicious food - Edit

My wife & lived close to here in HK during our time there, and ate here regularly. We generally ordered a set menu which represented great value, which has around 7 rotating choices. Some are delicious while some are just OK. Other items off the menu were generally really tasty, with the club sandwich and sweet & sour tofu being personal favourites. Very friendly staff, and great value for money by HK standards.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 17, 2014

Pros: All vegan, Great value, expecially the set menus, Friendly people

Huge Choice Of Veggie Food - Edit

In the new location the vast menu is still in place. The lunch set menu has changed slightly so now you can choose 3 from 6 items which include tea or soup and red rice. Free warm lemon water available.
The new staff are a lot more English friendly. There is also a freezer to buy some take out fake meat products.
Reasonable prices, set lunch HK$48.

Pros: Big Menu, Fast Service, Good Value

Cons: A Bit Too Much Sauce

Friendly staff, amazing food, nice location - Edit

I live in Italy and I wish there were a Loving Hut here! The menù is huge and most of the dishes are delicious. Everyday you can have something new. This restaurant is smaller than the other one in Amoy Plaza and it is a little more expensive, but the atmosphere is cozier. Friendly staff, amazing food, nice location: worth a visit!

Pros: delicious food, location, cheap

No fresh vegetables - Edit

What is a vegan restaurant good for if it doesn't offer fresh vegetables?
The food is okay, nothing special. Maybe except for cakes and ice cream which might be hard to find anywhere else - but I don't like sweets and mock meat too much.
In my opinion quality and price don't fit together very well.
The atmosphere reminds of a fast food restaurant, not very inviting. But the view out of the window is very nice, especially in the evening.

Pros: very easy to find

Cons: no fresh vegetables, atmosphere (bright light)

Dependable and tasty food! - Edit

I eat at Loving Hut every time I come back to HK and in fact just ate there a couple of nights ago. I agree with the previous reviewer that Loving Hut has a buzz that I had never felt before. It was really busy, and there was even free entertainment - a local lady singing English and Cantonese songs.

The menu hasn't changed since my last visit 10 months ago. Pretty extensive menu. I've always enjoyed their food. Only suggestion for improvement would be to add more fresh veggies to the set menu, which consists mostly of rice and noodle plates that are tasty but high on mock meats and veggie juliennes but low on real chunks of veggies. For that you have to look harder on the left side of the menu - the a la carte side, where you can add HK$10 to get rice and soup.

I really like their vegan cream cake. No idea how healthy it is, but they are super delicious and give me hope that I can easily transition from a vegetarian to vegan diet. (I've been vegetarian since the early 80's and would have been vegan years ago if not for my fondness for dessert!)

I like to eat at Loving Hut wherever I travel globally, as the menus are all locally-based. Not sure how good or bad their cult leader is... a concern for this devout atheist :) but hopefully I can continue eating there!
Updated from previous review on Monday December 02, 2013

Pros: tasty dependable food, reasonable food, yummy vegan dessert

Cons: affiliated with a cult

Great Progress - Edit

Loving Hut, Wan Chai is getting busy!

It is lovely to see the transformation.

Each time that I visit there are 40+ customers enjoying their meals there.

The staff are "buzzy" - obviously enjoying their work.

A slight shift towards more "whole" foods would make this place unbeatable.

As it is, the food is 100% vegan & very tasty.

That's just about the limit! - Edit

Although i am a vegetarian for 2 years now and i've tried a lot of different restaurants already, i've never been to a "Loving Hut" until yesterday. Weird, but i don't know why.
Anyway now i was there and i have to admit that i was absolutely amazing there! They have so much variety in their menu and it is very yummy.
Also the staff is very friendly and another big positive point is that they have some great facts and inspiration words hanging on their walls.

Pros: Huge variety, Nice interior, Very friendly

Hmmmmmm - Edit

I gem in omnivore Hong Kong where you never quite know what you are eating. I have been to this place several times, and every time I enjoy the vast amount of dishes, drinks and desserts. Staff are always friendly, and I like the fact that you can browse their vegan library while you are having your meal. Amazing how they can make everything taste just like the real thing!

Nice set meals - Edit

First I walked past this but then noticed a sign on the doorway saying "Loving Hut". Climbed the stairs to the 2F and found this rather minimalistic restaurant. You can only get "set meals" on a tray as far as I could see, and that's ok. But this is not a romantic dining option if you're looking for one. ;-)

Food was tasty and the dessert tiramisu is worth a try.

Pros: all vegan, vegan tiramisu

Cons: not very cozy

friendly and good - Edit

I am in Honk Kong these days and this was the first place I went to explore for dinner. I had New York steaks with rice and the one with curry japanese sauce . they came with additional soup , raw salad and stewed pak choi. Everything was good,well cooked and tasty not at all oily and I felt good and not heavy after the dinner.as dessert I wanted to try their tiramisu- it was not so rich in flavour but in the end it was satisfing not very sweet and My digestion was light and easy. They have a corner where they sell vegan stuff,too!

Pros: tasteful and light food, friendly place, try dessert

Cons: basic place, order at the counter, bit uneasy to find

Re-opened! - Edit

Loving Hut Wan Chai just reopened end of July 2012 at new location. That's the downside of it a bit, as it is much more difficult to find it now(not ideal for having walk-in customers); small entrance, upstairs.
But when you're in, it's very nice. Good and affordable food options - quick service. Ample seating.
Loving Hut - Always a good choice!

Very nice restaurant (but closing....) - Edit

Very nice restaurant in Wan Chai with a great selection of food. Simple, tasty and plenty of choice.
At this moment (early May) there is a sign on the door that they will close at the end of May 2012 (lease expired).

Pros: Taste, Variety

Great value - Edit

This is such a great place. Unpretentious, cheap, tasty and very clean. The ordering is a bit of a lottery as we hadn't a clue what we recorded on the 4 times we have been here so far, but we are pleased to say that we have been very happy every time. Portions are reasonable, not big and the ambience is very casual.

Pros: cheap, tasty, a fun lottery

Great Find - Edit

We came across this place whilst on honeymoon and found it a very affordable, friendly place to eat. The portions are sometimes a little on the small side for me but perfect for my wife. Quality is generally very good, very clean and with a nice atmosphere. The staff took great delight in the fact that we went up for several extra different cakes and enjoyed them all!

Pros: Good food, Excellent value, friendly staff

Loving Hut always the best - Edit

I love going to Loving Hut restaurants. Each one differs slightly but the same delicious and easy-on-the-wallet prices each time. So many varieties and a really comfy place to eat at. I really like the eggless egg tarts!

Pros: Great selection of delicious foods, Spacious seating, Inexpensive

Passionate vegans. Very, very good indeed - Edit

Fast-food deliciously prepared.

I love this 'Loving Hut'.

I eat here at least twice a week whenever I am in Hong Kong.

The simple 'sides' such as the Burdock & Seaweeds salads are addictive & less than US$ 1 each.

Vegtastic !!!! - Edit

Loving Hut in wanchai has become my new favourite place to go for a safe meal - clean, healthy, tasty and porkless!!!
the staff are super sweet, they really know what they are telling you about and suggesting!

Pros: Clean healthy food, Big Portions, Well Priced

Very convenient place - Edit

Fast food style, but completely vegan.

Wide variety of dishes some of which change throughout the day.

I like their Vegetable Fried Rice, it is very tasty.

Very clean & tidy.

Relaxing atmosphere, you don't ever feel rushed.

Not gourmet. Counter service. Expect to wait 10 to 15 minutes for cooked dishes.

Good for quick meal - Edit

I was in the area so I dropped by here for lunch. It's fast-foody in that most of the food is prepared: you order from the cashier, give the ticket to the kitchen, get a token from them, and wait to be called to get your food. No table service. It's one of those places where you are just looking to sit down, chow, and get refreshed, not for the service or ambiance. That said, the place is very clean and bright. OK food, convenient location. Personally I like the one at Amoy Plaza better.

Note on the rice: they serve "natural" red yeast rice "free of additives" from Taiwan and try to promote it as a health food; but apparently there have been some concerns over this stuff, and if you are skeptical too, you can ask for white rice instead, no brown rice.

Pros: location

Cons: no brown rice

Refreshing Change - Edit

The menu contains a lot of variety, notwithstanding the 4 or 5 daily specials, there is a good choice of snacks, noodles and rice based dishes as well as dessert options. I would imagine previous criticism regarding the presentation of the menu have been addressed because everything's described quite clearly in English.

What I particularly like about this restaurant is that it is not a clone of all the Cantonese style veggie restaurants in Hong Kong, which all have the same dishes, often with too much oil. This menu is based loosely on Taiwanese cuisine, which makes for a refreshing change of options and tastes. I also personally think that because the food is being cooked by vegetarians, more care generally goes into it and I haven't had any issues with food to date.

I almost always take out due to time constraints but there's a good amount of seating available - the restaurant is popular though, and often almost packed.

The prices are very reasonable give the good quality and presentation of the food, almost all dishes are under HK$50 and some set meals are as low as HK$36.

I've found the staff friendly and helpful - if I can't pronounce what I want in Chinese I just point at the menu and that's what I get.

If there's one criticism that I think could be fairly levelled at this restaurant, it would be the Buddhist TV that's always showing. Personally I don't mind it, but I know it puts some people off when they eat in.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that wants good veggie food in Wanchai.

Pros: Variety - not Cantonese Food, Cheap, Clean & good service

Cons: Minor brainwashing sideeffects

Not my cup of tea - Edit

Many people seem to know of this place, perhaps because it is in a high traffic area. Personally, I wish that more HK veg. restaurants were as easy to find as this one.
It was one of the first veg. restaurants I tried in HK and I did not like the style of food. I had a very hard time choosing what to eat, and the server wasn't much help as her English was minimal. You are rather left on your own and if you have little familiarity with 'Chinese style' veg food, it is hard to make an appropriate choice. I don't remember what I had but I think if they changed their menu options I would try it again.

Pros: price, location

Cons: taste, service

Good Chinese Food - Edit

I Always have the stirfried rice with faux meat bits, spicy and tasty. My boyfriend has had the cha siu and enjoyed it (he is a meat eater). Atmosphere is like a cafateria- chose your food and pay for it, then you get a number and when your order is ready you collect your tray. The menu is full of Chinese dishes prepared with faux meats. They also have one or two desserts which I have not yet tried. Prices are cheap.

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut - Wan Chai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11676 times since Nov 2009.