Loving Hut - Surabaya

Contact 31-5012990

Jl. Sumbawa 37, Biliton, Surabaya, East Java, Java, Indonesia,

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Serving all vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and vegan desserts.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Juice bar, Asian, Indonesian

First Review by MarcusSoetomo

A safe choice as usual - Edit

What more can I say, it's a typical Loving Hut—inexpensive, prompt service, OK food. No one goes to a Loving Hut for the ambiance, but this one has lighting too bright and harsh.

I had the nasi krawu, which came out slightly different from the picture in the menu (mostly the colors), but still pretty good. Although when I told my local friend how it tasted, she said it wasn't supposed to taste like that... just a datapoint here. I followed her and ordered a sekoteng as well. I liked it a lot, but something about it wasn't quite right according to my friend. This was my first time trying it, so I had no other reference points. If you like hot, spiced drinks, I highly recommend you it!

Pros: affordable, decent food

Cons: lighting too bright

hugely disappointing - Edit

If you are going to convince anyone to go veg (which is the Loving Hut's whole shtick, right?) you need to put some actual effort into the food. My omnivore friend and I went to this Loving Hut branch because it was by far the closest veg place to our hotel, and I have to say, his meal was shockingly unappetizing. Shocking is the only word for it. The menu photo showed faux shrimp and vegetables tossed/fried in some sort of oat mixture, but what arrived was faux shrimp swimming in parchment-paper-dry sweet oats. No vegetables. I would not be remotely surprised if you told me the cook was a meat-loving saboteur. Given that the staff were indifferent at best ("absentee" is a more apt word choice), and no one really spoke English, I could not express our dissatisfaction except by posting this review. Do yourself a favor and don't eat here.

Cons: terrible service, zero thought or care put into the food, juices were mediocre

Good! - Edit

I knew Loving Hut, so when I saw there was one in Surabaya I did not want to miss it! The menu is extensive, and it is very easy to choose as there is a picture for every dish. Prices are 3-5 dollars for each dish. You can choose among noodles dishes, rice dishes, western dishes. My husband and I tried fish and chips (very good), seaweed fried rice (my husband loved it), a salad (it was ok), pizza (honestly, it was not a real pizza... They put so much chili sauce on it! It was more a reinterpretation of pizza.. I don't recommend it unless you really love chili everywhere) and a burger (good, just very small). In general, we were satisfied. I would come back, if I lived in Surabaya. Staff are nice. Place clean. And loving hut.. Is always a lovely experience

VALUE Meals here ! - Edit

I arrived at Loving Hut 30 mins before closing. The place is clean, there is a loud TV, and a small snack vendor.
The staff were friendly: when the server did not understand English, she quickly beckoned one who did. My order was a simple Bihun soup, which was served in a timely manner. The portion was large ! There were numerous vegetables within, much more than I had ever received while in Kuching restos. The soup was tasty and satisfying,
I do recommend eating here - yes, the menu is extensive, with clear fotos, and the prices are quite reasonable !
I am definitely returning ! Their quality remains GREAT !
My thanks to previous reviews -- all said previously is still current : )

Pros: Inexpensive, Clean, Friendly

Cons: noisy TV

Tasty! - Edit

This place is great.
Little English is spoken but there are photos of all dishes. The selection is very good, portions are huge, the food is tasty.
Actually, all loving huts in Indonesia are very good.

You can easily walk there from Gubeng station, will take about 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can hire a rickshaw.

Pros: Tasty, huge portions, Cheap, Easy to find

Cheap and delicious - Edit

I have nothing much to add to the previous comments. The place is clean, the menu is extensive, and the prices are low (and even lower if one considers how big the portions are). All dishes were delicious. However, except for ice cream they have hardly any desserts.

We walked to the restaurant from Surabaya's train station. It took 10-15 min, and the place was not difficult to find.

Pros: clean, large menu, cheap

Cons: few desserts

Excellent Choice Of Vegan Food - Edit

We ate here last night and are planning to go back for both lunch and dinner today. The food here is excellent, and the menu is extensive. The staff don't speak much English, but the menu has pictures of all the dishes, so it's easy to order. They also have red rice, which is a bonus.

The prices are pretty reasonable for a Westerner, but a little expensive for locals. We paid 96,000 IDR ($8.50) for two main dishes, two portions of rice, avocado juice, water, and ice cream to take away. So not too bad at all. And all the food is vegan.

Restaurant is very large, with seating for around 60 people.
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 14, 2013

A previous review mention that there is a gas station nearby, but this has now been demolished. The restaurant is easy to find though - it's on the corner of Jalan Biliton and Jalan Sumbawa.

Pros: Excellent food, All vegan, Clean environment

Loving hut surabaya - Edit

The food is ok, the taste are variety, from local, western, Italian. The price is about 3 USD to 5 USD/ portion (consider expensive for average Indonesian).
The place is quite clean.
Maybe the waitress cannot speak English, but each food have their own picture so don't worry.
There is a gas station directly in front of the restaurant, so it's easy to see.

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: small portion, quite expensive for local income

Return to Java Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut - Surabaya closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1905 times since Mar 2010.