Loving Hut - Portland

Contact 503-248-6715

1239 SW Jefferson St (at SW 12th), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97201

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Serves all vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and vegan desserts. Relaxed atmosphere with large front windows. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by soundasleep

Good food - Edit

I've eaten at Loving Hut restaurants across the U.S. Each menu has signature dishes, with local variations, & some unique one. Can be depended on for tasty vegan food at very affordable prices. First time visiting Portland, so had to eat here at least once while in town. The Save the Planet Curry with brown rice was quite good, less spicy than what I'm used to. Had the Sea of Love appetizer, basically battered & fried stuffed enoki mushrooms; thicker batter & less spicy than what I get in Houston, still delicious hot and/or cold. Dining companion enjoyed the Fuji Udon, saying the rich homemade broth was especially tasty. Additional appetizers: golden wontons & golden rolls, both tasty hot, & cold for late night snacking.
Compact location, well lit. Very friendly service. On street metered parking. Walkable neighborhood with shopping close by.

Pros: 100% vegan, Very affordable, tasty food, Loving Hut chain

Cons: Small location

terrible - Edit

I got there, went in, wasn't impressed, it stunk of grease, it was dilapidated, lots of half dead plants in the window, piles of old newspapers near the door. But it was vegan so I thought I'd give it a go. But no, the guy at the counter said "sorry, we're closed", the sign behind him said he was open for another 45 minutes. Definitely won't be trying it again.

Cons: smell, untidiness , poor service

loving loving hut - Edit

Wonderful experience. Quiet, in a nice part of town. Big windows, plants, 100 percent vegan, friendly family atmosphere, and an extensive menu. Happy smiles and ultra-efficient service. Such kind happy people. Support them!
Yummy food. Ask for chopsticks so that you are eating more mindfully.

Great Service Good Food - Edit

The service was amazing :) super friendly. The food was good. I honestly could have made the same thing at home. Not very much spice, salty and sweet were the only flavours I got. It's worth a try if you liked regular old Chinese food before :) pretty good comparison.

Pros: great service, all vegan , good prices and portions

Cons: bland

Great service & food - Edit

Excellent food and service. Our server was very attentive and nice. Golden spring roll appetizer was delicious. We had the hot and sour soup which was good and the seaweed ocean medley, which we were wishing was spicier than it claimed to be but delicious anyway. It's a casual place, flavors reminiscent of a classic Chinese restaurant but all vegan and very tasty. I've been to this location twice and one in san diego. They haven't ever disappointed. If there was one thing i would add to their Portland menu, I would say a vegan pho would be so amazing! There is an unforgettable one in the san diego location that i would love to have again in this city known for it's pho!

Very nice little place - Edit

Had the won tons and spring rolls for an appetizer. Spring rolls were amazing! Won tons had a weird looking interior that reminded me of ham, but it tasted wonderful! Also shared the won ton soup and it was great. Also shared the Hawaii burger. I enjoyed it except for the burger patty itself, it was a bit too processed and chewy for me.

Pros: Varied menu

Cons: Too many options with soy protein

Great! - Edit

We've been to at least 20 (probably more) Loving Hut restaurants at this point. This one is great! It's small, right in downtown Portland. The fair is similar to the other ones, but this one seems to give larger portions. I like this! If you have a non-vegan person in your party, this is a good place to go. If you are all vegans, it's still a win. You can't go wrong here to get a classic Loving Hut experience.

Pros: Open to explaining everything, Large portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Lots of fat and sugar used, Pricing a little high

Good Asian fusion - Edit

Loving Hut is an international chain that varies greatly, but the portland outpost is bangin!

Uptight people might find the spiritual element and staff attentiveness awkward but LH is a beautiful example of loving ethical ideas put into action. Example: the first time I went they urged my companion to take her leftovers to go even though there was only a paltry portion remaining. I get it - they don't want food to be wasted!

The look on her husband's face was amusing though because we were on foot (in a heavy rain) on our way to a concert. Not a convenient time to carry leftovers around.

We shared 6 dishes and they were all good. Recommend.

Pros: Good food, 100% vegan, Good price

Cons: There's a tv (only plays supreme master vids)

Best fish burger ever! - Edit

I got the fisher burger which was sooo good, the fish patties were amazing. Came with a side of fries. My partner got the Hawaiian burger which had a very authentic patty and the pineapple went really well with it - also came with fries. We got the Sunny Forest to drink and it was really delicious! Great service, they kept filling up our water. We got the carrot cake for dessert which was soo nice and tasted really fresh, drizzled with chocolate sauce. An awesome vegan place and really close to the new Vtopian Cheese Deli which you should also check out.

Pros: Great fish burger, Yummy drinks, Good service

great food, questionable religious leader? - Edit

The ocean medley was the real winner, but everything we had was good. The TV was playing supreme master propaganda the whole time, I hope the owners of this place enjoy the success of the business and don't have to turn all the money over to her.

Would Moo Again - Edit

Decided to take reviewers words for it and check out something new in Portland. They did not lie. It's a cute little place with a nice atmosphere. It was pretty quiet, so the service was nice. The food was phenomenal, however. Split golden nuggets and the family bean curd. Great flavor and texture. Smelled delicious. We might stop here after every zoo visit.

Pros: All Vegan, Affordable , Delicious

meh.... - Edit

We went there on X-mas day, so it was super busy. I get that, but the service was super bad. There were so many empty, dirty tables and they had a huge lineup. No one was in any rush to clean the tables up and have people sited. People working there seemed so confused. They gave our food to the table next to us. The food was good but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't come here again.

Extremely well Done! - Edit

I am originally from Reno and I am in Portland to visit. This is the first all vegan chinese restaurant I have ever been to and I am extremely pleased! The customer service was very well and the food was incredible. Couldn't ask for a better chinese place!

Pros: All Vegan, Non Gmo, Delicious

Contributions +394

Great Service!! - Edit

This place offers awesome vegan Asian food. I highly recommend the spicy cha cha. The three times that I've been here the same guy serves me. I think the guy is the owner and he is super nice and provides you with a great service!

Pros: great staff , tasty Asian vegan food

Friendly service, delicious food - Edit

For lunch, I got:
Oregon Garden Combo meal
Just the right amount of spice (not too spicy).
Yummy veggies and tofu in a brown sauce w mild/med spice factor.
Served with a fried seaweed protein (which I could have done without since I try to steer clear of fried foods).

Pros: friendly service, yummy citrus water :)

Friendly service, good food, not too expensive - Edit

We had the wonton soup and crispy rolls for appetizers, then the ocean style plate and udon soup for entrees. The service was fast and friendly. The soups were great (but very similar). I liked the tofu more than the fake meat, but if you're into fake meat, they have plenty. The host brought us out some house-made hot sauce which was fantastic, and added a great flavor and some kick to the dishes and soups (to me, the "hot" dish was not).

Overall, it was a pleasant meal, and I would definitely return.

Good and clean Loving Hut - Edit

Loving Hut is great, it's always vegan and it always tastes good. I am distracted by the TV and the posters though and I wish that they weren't there but oh well.
On a visit to Portland we had the Oregon Garden and a curry. The portions were massive and the prices very reasonable. The service was very attentive and the owner gave us some free soup as a starter.
I would definitely go back to Loving Hut in Portland, but the problem is there are so many veg restaurants in Portland it's always hard to pick where to go!

Pros: Extensive menu, All vegan

Cons: TV is annoying

I LOVE THE HUT!!! - Edit

Great food, great place and great staff... The house soup was so good that I had to ask twice if it was vegan. On top of that I was given a hot spice to add to my soup and that made it even better.

And if you get an appetizer, I would recommend the Golden Rolls!

Great Restaurant - Edit

We have been here several times with our family, both to eat in and take out. Delicious food (ck out the Hot & Sour Soup) and staff very friendly. Highly recommend you try this restaurant. Happened upon a Loving Hut in China Town in San Francisco - expanded food options but equally delish!!

Best service ever! - Edit

Delicious and reasonably priced food, nice variety on the menu. The main reason I returned here was the service! Fast and almost overly kind, puts a smile on your face for the whole day! Try the special drinks too. Free wifi is always nice for a traveller.

Pros: service, food, price

Cons: none really

Amazing! - Edit

Can't say enough about this place! The food was super-delicious! The owner is one of the nicest guys I have met and really cares about his food and ensuring patrons have a great time. The drinks are fun and really, really good. Had the sweet and sour dish with some curry and both were phenomenal! I could eat here every day! Highly recommend it.

Great - Edit

I have to say first and foremost I love the guy who runs this place! He is so friendly and is there to please! The restaurant itself if bright and not that fancy, but the food is very good. I usually get the "shrimp" which is amazingly better than real shrimp, because it doesn't gross me out :-) and tastes delicious. I've been back about 3-4 times, so obviously I think this place is good. I took a meat eater friend there though, and he hated it. I think the mistake was him trying a mock dish, I probably would have been better off having him stick with just vegies.

Pros: Friendly owner, Whole menu is vegan!!, Lot's of choices

Cons: Decor could be better, No plate that has a variety of foods

Exceptional! - Edit

This place was amazing. We ordered the golden rolls (perfectly crispy and perfectly seasoned) the golden beauty (tasted like tender crispy chicken) and chow mien (best veggie chow mien ever).. Every course was delectable. Loving Hut is our new go-to Chinese food place. The complimentary soup was to-die for and the lemon water was just an added bonus.

Pros: Fresh, Beautifully developed flavors, Very clean

Cons: A little far from home:(

Good food and friendly staff! - Edit

The atmosphere is very friendly and welcoming. The place is clean and calm. The staff is very attentive as well.

We had the fried won tons as a starter with some black pepper 'beef' stir fry and a spicy tofu dish. It was all really yummy. The portions were well-sized for the price.

There's a really wide selection of food with lots of rice dishes and some more American style burgers. They even have a desserts on the menu (cheesecake!) which I'll be trying next time.

Pros: Quick , Friendly, Yummy

Wonderful service and food! - Edit

Came in for lunch and could not have been happier! The waiter was very friendly and helpful, and the food was fantastic! I'm just sad that I don't live nearby so I could stop by more often!

Pros: very good food, great value, very friendly staff

Cons: none

Friendly Service / Great Food - Edit

I took three friends to Loving Hut today. It was later afternoon. The gentleman who greeted us, took our menu, etc. was very friendly, and very helpful. The food was fresh, and very good. I was very pleased with this restaurant and will definitely frequent it.

Pros: Friendly, Affordable, Tasty

Good food and service - Edit

The array of vegan options at this restaurant is very good. The staff is very helpful and is happy to answer questions. The service is friendly and fast. The food is hot and delicious! We recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Fast, friendly service

Cons: Average ambiance

Loving Hut refreshes the spirit and the body - Edit

I was fortunate to have a delicious and healthy vegan curry and Indian chai at Loving Hut in Portland yesterday, and it, as well as the friendly and helpful service, was an experience I will long remember. Enjoyed also their streaming video on vegan lifestle and famous vegans.I heartily recommend Loving Hut to anyone who wishes to refresh and nourish both their spirit and their body.

Pros: Delicious, healthy food, Amiable, helpful service, Inspiring video on veganism

Excellent Food & Service - Edit

First visit and we will be back. Excellent service, and provided samples to see how hot the orders were. We ordered to much but it was all so good. Took the rest home for tomorrow.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent service, Good value

save the planet-curry - Edit

I eat here frequently. Love the food. Like the owner.
My favorite is the save the planet curry! Vegans eat here! You won't be disappointed. Clean place. Great service with a smile.

Pros: Ample Portion Size, Cleanliness & Service, Taste & Choices

Fantastic - Edit

So yummy! Great service!!
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 17, 2013

Pros: Fresh, Quick, Reasonable price

Great place for a vegetarian or vegan meal - Edit

What a great, friendly, well-presented little restaurant! Service and food were excellent. We went twice while visiting Portland from the UK and Canada and we were pleasantly surprised by the variety of different meals on the menu. Soup to start, followed by good sized portions, with extra rice if we needed it. Everything was very good value, very clean and the staff were very helpful and attentive. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this restaurant - it's was well worth seeking out for anyone on a visit to Portland. We will certainly go there again if we're ever back in that area. Thanks, Loving Hut!

AMAZING - I cant belive it vegan tastes this good! - Edit

I will tell you that Ive only jumped on the vegan bandwagon for two weeks with my husband kind of a bet to see if we could accomplish it we love our meat and fish and this place was AMAZING!!!! The Mongolian Wonder tasted so close to real steak, the Spicy Cha Cha was outrageously good, and the sweet and sour what ? really no chicken in there honestly if I personally knew how to cook like this we'd stay VEGAN!!! My brother which treated us was shocked at how good this place was would definitely go back and share the good news with friends and family about this place!

Pros: AMAZING FRESH FOOD, LARGE PORTIONS, GREAT VALUE

Everyone loves it & the owner is incredible! - Edit

For food that is not my favorite cuisine, it's really good. The Sea of Love appetizer and Seaweed Ocean main dish are my favorites.

I brought my "I won't eat at a vegetarian restaurant" sister. She ordered the Mongolian Beef, and raved! My definitely not-a-vegetarian mom also loved it. My chef-trained Asian girlfriend who is a connoisseur of Asian food loved it. All my friends I've brought love it.

I have found that if anything isn't what I want or if I want something special, they are happy to try. PLEASE just ask if something isn't right. If it isn't spicy enough, they can bring spice on the side.

But I go back time and time again because the owner is incredible. I first went when the place had recently opened. When he brought the food that time, he explained that he was only bringing a small cup of rice because he noticed a lot of customers were leaving rice over and he hated the waste, but that if I wanted more, just ask! I was SO impressed with that.

He remembers me and it seems everyone I've ever brought (and there are many). One night I stopped by for food to go. I asked for what would be fastest because I needed to get to the hospital to see my sister who just got out of surgery. He paused, got a funny look on his face, and pointed to the seat where she sat when I had brought her weeks ago! I had forgotten, but he didn't.

He returned shortly with my order and a quart of soup (on the house) to bring her to help her heal! This place really is about love.

Pros: conscious & caring owner, yummy food, even meat-eaters love it!

Cons: soy protein/fake meat, not my fav

You won't leave hungry - Edit

If you've eaten in other Loving Huts, then you'll pretty much know what to expect here. It has the same type of menu as its sister restaurants, but what sets this one apart is its huge portions and super friendly service. Cleanliness is big in my book, and this Loving Hut passes with flying colors. A 'comfort food' type of soup was served before our burgers and sides came out, and all was delicious. The wait for food was minimal. There is one bathroom that is tidy and well supplied. If going by car, street parking is available.

Pros: great food, quick, friendly service, clean, clean, clean

Check this place out! - Edit

I ordered the Blissful Fried Rice and my mom ordered the Sweet and Sour Divine. The fried rice was kinda typical, but still really tasty- with HUGE portions for the price of the vegan food. I'd give it an 8/10. The sweet and sour divine was indeed divine- it consisted of soy protein, vegetables, and fruit with a sauce. Both portions were large, and the prices were very reasonable, about 9$ for each plate of food. The meals included a broth soup starter with vegetables that was also tasty.

Pros: Excellent food, Good prices, Friendly staff

Great Place - Edit

I've tried all the asian/chinese vegan restaurants in Portland, Loving Hut is by far my favorite. If you're looking for vegan versions of the chinese food you used to eat, there is no better than this.
The staff are some of the nicest people I have ever met.
They also have great desserts.

Pros: great food, super friendly staff

Good! - Edit

I don't know what other Portland area restaurants are like - this was the first one I visited. But compared to vegetarian restaurants around the world, this one was just as awesome as the other Loving Huts. The meals were big and tasty.

I did order a "spicy" meal and it wasn't spicy at all - not a big deal, perhaps I didn't request it. The soy milk-based drink was good. I totally recommend the first appetizer on the menu - they're like spring rolls, but with more muscle. The host is lovely. If I were to fault anything, it was that my meal was a little salty - but I think that was the style of the dish.

Pros: tasty meals, big menu, modern

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut - Portland closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10632 times since Jun 2011.