Loving Hut - Portland

Contact 503-248-6715

1239 SW Jefferson St (at SW 12th), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97201

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Serves all vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and vegan desserts. Relaxed atmosphere with large front windows. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by soundasleep

Relaxing and filling - Edit

I had the Spicy Cha Cha, a unique dish that was very filling and definitely something I'd eat again. The menu was largely vegan variations of classic Asian dishes such as General Tso's. The restaurant was largely empty when I was there and classical music made for a soothing dining experience.

Pros: wide selection

Cons: location

Good food - Edit

I've eaten at Loving Hut restaurants across the U.S. Each menu has signature dishes, with local variations, & some unique one. Can be depended on for tasty vegan food at very affordable prices. First time visiting Portland, so had to eat here at least once while in town. The Save the Planet Curry with brown rice was quite good, less spicy than what I'm used to. Had the Sea of Love appetizer, basically battered & fried stuffed enoki mushrooms; thicker batter & less spicy than what I get in Houston, still delicious hot and/or cold. Dining companion enjoyed the Fuji Udon, saying the rich homemade broth was especially tasty. Additional appetizers: golden wontons & golden rolls, both tasty hot, & cold for late night snacking.
Compact location, well lit. Very friendly service. On street metered parking. Walkable neighborhood with shopping close by.

Pros: 100% vegan, Very affordable, tasty food, Loving Hut chain

Cons: Small location

terrible - Edit

I got there, went in, wasn't impressed, it stunk of grease, it was dilapidated, lots of half dead plants in the window, piles of old newspapers near the door. But it was vegan so I thought I'd give it a go. But no, the guy at the counter said "sorry, we're closed", the sign behind him said he was open for another 45 minutes. Definitely won't be trying it again.

Cons: smell, untidiness , poor service

loving loving hut - Edit

Wonderful experience. Quiet, in a nice part of town. Big windows, plants, 100 percent vegan, friendly family atmosphere, and an extensive menu. Happy smiles and ultra-efficient service. Such kind happy people. Support them!
Yummy food. Ask for chopsticks so that you are eating more mindfully.

Great Service Good Food - Edit

The service was amazing :) super friendly. The food was good. I honestly could have made the same thing at home. Not very much spice, salty and sweet were the only flavours I got. It's worth a try if you liked regular old Chinese food before :) pretty good comparison.

Pros: great service, all vegan , good prices and portions

Cons: bland

Great service & food - Edit

Excellent food and service. Our server was very attentive and nice. Golden spring roll appetizer was delicious. We had the hot and sour soup which was good and the seaweed ocean medley, which we were wishing was spicier than it claimed to be but delicious anyway. It's a casual place, flavors reminiscent of a classic Chinese restaurant but all vegan and very tasty. I've been to this location twice and one in san diego. They haven't ever disappointed. If there was one thing i would add to their Portland menu, I would say a vegan pho would be so amazing! There is an unforgettable one in the san diego location that i would love to have again in this city known for it's pho!

Very nice little place - Edit

Had the won tons and spring rolls for an appetizer. Spring rolls were amazing! Won tons had a weird looking interior that reminded me of ham, but it tasted wonderful! Also shared the won ton soup and it was great. Also shared the Hawaii burger. I enjoyed it except for the burger patty itself, it was a bit too processed and chewy for me.

Pros: Varied menu

Cons: Too many options with soy protein

Great! - Edit

We've been to at least 20 (probably more) Loving Hut restaurants at this point. This one is great! It's small, right in downtown Portland. The fair is similar to the other ones, but this one seems to give larger portions. I like this! If you have a non-vegan person in your party, this is a good place to go. If you are all vegans, it's still a win. You can't go wrong here to get a classic Loving Hut experience.

Pros: Open to explaining everything, Large portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Lots of fat and sugar used, Pricing a little high

Good Asian fusion - Edit

Loving Hut is an international chain that varies greatly, but the portland outpost is bangin!

Uptight people might find the spiritual element and staff attentiveness awkward but LH is a beautiful example of loving ethical ideas put into action. Example: the first time I went they urged my companion to take her leftovers to go even though there was only a paltry portion remaining. I get it - they don't want food to be wasted!

The look on her husband's face was amusing though because we were on foot (in a heavy rain) on our way to a concert. Not a convenient time to carry leftovers around.

We shared 6 dishes and they were all good. Recommend.

Pros: Good food, 100% vegan, Good price

Cons: There's a tv (only plays supreme master vids)

Best fish burger ever! - Edit

I got the fisher burger which was sooo good, the fish patties were amazing. Came with a side of fries. My partner got the Hawaiian burger which had a very authentic patty and the pineapple went really well with it - also came with fries. We got the Sunny Forest to drink and it was really delicious! Great service, they kept filling up our water. We got the carrot cake for dessert which was soo nice and tasted really fresh, drizzled with chocolate sauce. An awesome vegan place and really close to the new Vtopian Cheese Deli which you should also check out.

Pros: Great fish burger, Yummy drinks, Good service

great food, questionable religious leader? - Edit

The ocean medley was the real winner, but everything we had was good. The TV was playing supreme master propaganda the whole time, I hope the owners of this place enjoy the success of the business and don't have to turn all the money over to her.

Would Moo Again - Edit

Decided to take reviewers words for it and check out something new in Portland. They did not lie. It's a cute little place with a nice atmosphere. It was pretty quiet, so the service was nice. The food was phenomenal, however. Split golden nuggets and the family bean curd. Great flavor and texture. Smelled delicious. We might stop here after every zoo visit.

Pros: All Vegan, Affordable , Delicious

KatieBatty 17 Jul 2015 - Vegan and the zoo? Doesn't quite fit....

meh.... - Edit

We went there on X-mas day, so it was super busy. I get that, but the service was super bad. There were so many empty, dirty tables and they had a huge lineup. No one was in any rush to clean the tables up and have people sited. People working there seemed so confused. They gave our food to the table next to us. The food was good but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't come here again.

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut - Portland closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.