Loving Hut - North Park Uptown

Contact 619-683-9490

1905 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, California, USA, 92104

Part of international chain of vegan food restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individually owned. In the 7 Eleven shopping plaza with lot parking. Small but with plenty of tables, brightly lit with large front windows. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-2:00pm, Tue-Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 4:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by Elizabeth

Love The Loving Huts In San Diego County - Edit

Even though the Mira Mesa Hut increase the price of Spicy Chacha, I still love it. The soups at the North Park location taste much better than Mira Mesa, while the American food at Mira Mesa is better than North Park. It's just like that.

Pros: they have a lot of options they have spicy cha cha

Cons: parking is tight

wasn't that great - Edit

I didn't like the atmosphere, I tried the alfredo and it tasted way too salty i ate the tirimiso and it was dry. I did try my boyfriends sandwich and the mock meat on it was really good. service wasn't bad. I would say they lack quality in the food

Favourite Vegan Restaurant - Edit

This is my favourite place! A little pricey, but great food. Large portions. I've tried almost everything on the menu except the American dishes and anything that includes peanuts (allergy). My favourite dish is Bun Hue. ^_^

Pros: Tasty, Large Portions, Relatively Healthy

Cons: Bit Pricey

good food, though a bit greasy - Edit

Love the food here. Lots of variation between Asian and American cuisine, though the restaurant itself has an undeniable field of an Asian eatery. The food is tasty, though it has the undeniably salty, greasiness that often comes with Americanized Asian food.

Pros: tasty, all vegan, nice people

Cons: greasy/perhaps not the healthiest option for every

Love Loving Hut - Edit

This is one of my favorite vegan restaurants for convenience (only a few blocks from my home) price and quality/flavor. My favorite is the bbq noodle. Always get the large as it's only a little more. Spring rolls are very good. Also like the Loving Hut Crispy Burger. Friendly staff. Oh, and get the pandan cake for dessert. Two people and eat there sharing an appetizer, each ordering an entree and sharing a dessert and it's only a little over $20. The chairs are starting to look a little tattered and could use a refresh (I am happy to trade my services for food--?)

Pros: Price/reasonable, Selection/Taste, Portion size

Loving Hut is Fantastic - Edit

They have a big menu with lots of tasty food. They have many pan-Asian dish options as well as some Western dishes such as spaghetti. I have not tried their Western dishes yet though I've tried many of the Asian dishes and have quite enjoyed them. They also have cakes which I have not yet tried. Just be ready to park in a tiny space in their lot or on the street.

Pros: Lots of yummy pan-Asian styles

Cons: Parking (it's worth it though)

Disappointing - Edit

I'm vegan and my friend is vegetarian. We usually go to the loving hut on Mira Mesa which is really awesome.

This location is not the same.
Got the special rolls, clay pot, and chow mein.

Very tiny amount on vegetables in these, mostly white tasteless noodles. The claypot was nothing but lumps of soy fish. The mira mesa location brings these with tons of vegetables, eggplant in the clay pot, and awesome flavor, and the dishes have more food on them. This is why it was disappointing and I would not recommend it.

Cons: bad food

Best vegan place in San Diego - Edit

I love the food at Loving Hut. Best soup selection, too. Their wraps make my mouth water.
Staff is great, and the location is cozy. It gets a little noisy, but it feels like family.
Never had a bad experience there, and we dine at this location quite often.
Favorite place for my carnivore teenager, who enjoys going out with me to eat there. Thank you!

Pros: Excellent value, Excellent soups, Friendly staff

Cons: Not opened on Mondays

Contributions +43

my first - Edit

This place popped my vegan cherry..and it was a great experience! They have a great selection, the crispy rolls and that chocolate cake made me happy happy!
Parking was a nightmare, but friendly staff.

Loved it! - Edit

We went for an early lunch and it wasn't crowded at all. The service was great. I even liked the strange, confusing show they were playing on the tvs. We shared the won tons for an appetizer (amazing!). I had a barbecue sandwich with fries, and my husband got the tangy orange. We both loved our lunch. THere were so many things on the menu I wanted to try, I wish we lived close to a Loving Hut.

Pros: great food, tons of choices, service

Great Place - Edit

I love this place- great food at great prices with friendly efficient service. Good variety of Asian and American cuisine and deserts as well. I had the mushroom drumsticks, wontons, spring rolls and cheesecake with berry topping- all were excellent.

Pros: Delicious, Inexpensive, Efficient

Cons: crowded

We love Loving Hut - Edit

Great service, great food. We had sushi, soup, salad and stir fried vegetables. We will not order the Bun Hue soup next time - there are a lot of other great looking choices on the menu! - but everything else was excellent. We will be back!

Great Food. - Edit

I went here 3 times while I was in SD on business.

I had the Crispy Rolls, Jumbo Drumsticks, Clay Pot Sensation, Lucky Mongo, Pandan Cake, and some cookies.

I thought the food was great, this is my favorite type of Vegan food. Mostly Asian style and the use of a lot of mock-meats. I liked the Lucky Mongo most, and the Clay Pot Sensation was good as well. I wish the Clay Pot Sensation came with more veggies, but not really a big deal.

The desserts were ok, next time I will just save the calories for something else.

The place was more crowded than I would expected, I went during late lunch (East coast dinner), but wasn't so crowded to be bothered.

I would definitely go there again, next time I am in SD.

Pros: Mock-Meats, Prices

Cons: desserts

Not up to Loving Hut standards, in my view. - Edit

Ironically, whereas one of my favourite vegan restaurants ever is a Loving Hut on Spadina in Toronto, this Loving Hut was my only negative experience ever among vegan restaurants. I found several of the dishes quite startling in their absence of appeal, including a broth I found virtually tasteless, won tons and some kind of mystery meat in the won ton soup I found sharply unappealing in taste and texture, french fries I found unusually dry, and a burger I found rubbery in texture and peculiar in taste. The whole-grain brown rice was a nice healthier option, and was moderately palatable, but I gather that management directs staff to limit sauce portions, as the waiter brought me a minuscule amount of plum sauce for the rice, and a minuscule second portion when I asked for it. As well, the operation appeared quite disorganized, as my friends and I had to request missing veganaise approximately six times, and one of the staff came across to me as less than pleasant (another employee was entirely pleasant). My friends did enjoy their burgers, however, so there may be variability in items' appeal, and of course there's the factor of personal preference. In addition, prices are rock bottom, and service is fast. Overall, though, I couldn't recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Cheap, Fast

Cons: Poor taste in certain dishes, Skimpy sauce portions, Disorganized service

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut - North Park Uptown closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.