Loving Hut - North Park Uptown

Contact 619-683-9490

1905 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, California, USA, 92104

Part of international chain of vegan food restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individually owned. In the 7 Eleven shopping plaza with lot parking. Small but with plenty of tables, brightly lit with large front windows. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-2:00pm, Tue-Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 4:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by Elizabeth

Favourite Vegan Restaurant - Edit

This is my favourite place! A little pricey, but great food. Large portions. I've tried almost everything on the menu except the American dishes and anything that includes peanuts (allergy). My favourite dish is Bun Hue. ^_^

Pros: Tasty, Large Portions, Relatively Healthy

Cons: Bit Pricey

good food, though a bit greasy - Edit

Love the food here. Lots of variation between Asian and American cuisine, though the restaurant itself has an undeniable field of an Asian eatery. The food is tasty, though it has the undeniably salty, greasiness that often comes with Americanized Asian food.

Pros: tasty, all vegan, nice people

Cons: greasy/perhaps not the healthiest option for every

Love Loving Hut - Edit

This is one of my favorite vegan restaurants for convenience (only a few blocks from my home) price and quality/flavor. My favorite is the bbq noodle. Always get the large as it's only a little more. Spring rolls are very good. Also like the Loving Hut Crispy Burger. Friendly staff. Oh, and get the pandan cake for dessert. Two people and eat there sharing an appetizer, each ordering an entree and sharing a dessert and it's only a little over $20. The chairs are starting to look a little tattered and could use a refresh (I am happy to trade my services for food--?)

Pros: Price/reasonable, Selection/Taste, Portion size

Loving Hut is Fantastic - Edit

They have a big menu with lots of tasty food. They have many pan-Asian dish options as well as some Western dishes such as spaghetti. I have not tried their Western dishes yet though I've tried many of the Asian dishes and have quite enjoyed them. They also have cakes which I have not yet tried. Just be ready to park in a tiny space in their lot or on the street.

Pros: Lots of yummy pan-Asian styles

Cons: Parking (it's worth it though)

Disappointing - Edit

I'm vegan and my friend is vegetarian. We usually go to the loving hut on Mira Mesa which is really awesome.

This location is not the same.
Got the special rolls, clay pot, and chow mein.

Very tiny amount on vegetables in these, mostly white tasteless noodles. The claypot was nothing but lumps of soy fish. The mira mesa location brings these with tons of vegetables, eggplant in the clay pot, and awesome flavor, and the dishes have more food on them. This is why it was disappointing and I would not recommend it.

Cons: bad food

Best vegan place in San Diego - Edit

I love the food at Loving Hut. Best soup selection, too. Their wraps make my mouth water.
Staff is great, and the location is cozy. It gets a little noisy, but it feels like family.
Never had a bad experience there, and we dine at this location quite often.
Favorite place for my carnivore teenager, who enjoys going out with me to eat there. Thank you!

Pros: Excellent value, Excellent soups, Friendly staff

Cons: Not opened on Mondays

Contributions +43

my first - Edit

This place popped my vegan cherry..and it was a great experience! They have a great selection, the crispy rolls and that chocolate cake made me happy happy!
Parking was a nightmare, but friendly staff.

Loved it! - Edit

We went for an early lunch and it wasn't crowded at all. The service was great. I even liked the strange, confusing show they were playing on the tvs. We shared the won tons for an appetizer (amazing!). I had a barbecue sandwich with fries, and my husband got the tangy orange. We both loved our lunch. THere were so many things on the menu I wanted to try, I wish we lived close to a Loving Hut.

Pros: great food, tons of choices, service

Great Place - Edit

I love this place- great food at great prices with friendly efficient service. Good variety of Asian and American cuisine and deserts as well. I had the mushroom drumsticks, wontons, spring rolls and cheesecake with berry topping- all were excellent.

Pros: Delicious, Inexpensive, Efficient

Cons: crowded

We love Loving Hut - Edit

Great service, great food. We had sushi, soup, salad and stir fried vegetables. We will not order the Bun Hue soup next time - there are a lot of other great looking choices on the menu! - but everything else was excellent. We will be back!

Great Food. - Edit

I went here 3 times while I was in SD on business.

I had the Crispy Rolls, Jumbo Drumsticks, Clay Pot Sensation, Lucky Mongo, Pandan Cake, and some cookies.

I thought the food was great, this is my favorite type of Vegan food. Mostly Asian style and the use of a lot of mock-meats. I liked the Lucky Mongo most, and the Clay Pot Sensation was good as well. I wish the Clay Pot Sensation came with more veggies, but not really a big deal.

The desserts were ok, next time I will just save the calories for something else.

The place was more crowded than I would expected, I went during late lunch (East coast dinner), but wasn't so crowded to be bothered.

I would definitely go there again, next time I am in SD.

Pros: Mock-Meats, Prices

Cons: desserts

Not up to Loving Hut standards, in my view. - Edit

Ironically, whereas one of my favourite vegan restaurants ever is a Loving Hut on Spadina in Toronto, this Loving Hut was my only negative experience ever among vegan restaurants. I found several of the dishes quite startling in their absence of appeal, including a broth I found virtually tasteless, won tons and some kind of mystery meat in the won ton soup I found sharply unappealing in taste and texture, french fries I found unusually dry, and a burger I found rubbery in texture and peculiar in taste. The whole-grain brown rice was a nice healthier option, and was moderately palatable, but I gather that management directs staff to limit sauce portions, as the waiter brought me a minuscule amount of plum sauce for the rice, and a minuscule second portion when I asked for it. As well, the operation appeared quite disorganized, as my friends and I had to request missing veganaise approximately six times, and one of the staff came across to me as less than pleasant (another employee was entirely pleasant). My friends did enjoy their burgers, however, so there may be variability in items' appeal, and of course there's the factor of personal preference. In addition, prices are rock bottom, and service is fast. Overall, though, I couldn't recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Cheap, Fast

Cons: Poor taste in certain dishes, Skimpy sauce portions, Disorganized service

WTF? - Edit

Whatever is playing on the television is strange and distracting. The food was good, but not amazing. Service is odd and it's always packed. I would pass.

Pros: Affordable, Easy to locate, variety

Cons: jam packed restaurant

excellent experience! - Edit

During a visit to San Diego, my husband and I tried this restaurant and we would rate it highly. The beautiful pictures on the website and menu were impressive, the dining area big enough, the waitstaff very friendly and quick to respond to requests. The food was delicious, generous and was delivered quickly. We tried the pina colada, special roll appetizer, vegetable platter and chowmain plate. All was divine. We would be regulars to this restaurant if we lived in the area.

Pros: picture menu, low prices, great food

Cons: limited parking

Popular with locals - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and ate here in June 2012. Here's my San Diego Loving Hut review.

We arrived on a Friday early evening and could see through the front glass windows that the restaurant was totally filled with diners. A good sign. It's obviously popular with the locals for reasons.

We opted for take-out. Got the cold dish of vietnamese crispy spring rolls & faxu meat over rice noodle. This is one of my fav dishes to order at Vietnamese food restaurants. Well, this particular one was outstanding. Very flavorful and delicious! We also got some vegan oatmeal cookies to go.

The menu dishes are accompanied by photo images so you can see what appeals to you. The prices were cheap for the large portions you get.

Pros: providing vegan food

Great food & Great price - Edit

I have been a vegan for over twenty years and this is one of the top five places that I have had the pleasure to eat at. All the food dishes we ordered were fantastic as well as the dishes being delivered to all the full tables that surrounded us.

Pros: Food, Prices, Service

Cons: none, none, none

This Place is on Point! - Edit

The food is delicious and the service is warm and friendly. On our latest visit, we had the Pho and Lucky Lemon Grass and we think they not only taste authentic, but arguably better than the regular, nasty meat versions in Vietnamese restaurants. For our fellow Filipinos, you have to try the vegan Buko Pandan cake - It's LEGIT!

Pros: Tasty, Inexpensive, Vegan

Cons: none, nada, nil

Loving Hut - Edit

I always order the large "Healthy Fried Rice" whenever go with my family to this Loving Hut in San Diego. As a little baby I've always been a rice lover and this has been one of the best rice dishes. As for it being vegan, it's a big plus because I now I eat it with no worries. Everything on the Loving Hut menu is 100% Vegan and as well as desserts. The Healthy Fried Rice is dry but with a variety of cut vegetables on it. Other foods like the "Pho soup" is also quite filling and warming. All in All I love this place and wish I can come more often, considering I live 2 hours away from this place. I love it. I also love watching "Supreme Master Television" on the 2 plasma screen tv's in the resturant. Loving Hut will give you a wonderful vegan expirence and as well as educate you on our current issues with the enviorment. Waiters and waitresses always treat you with respect and always have a big smile on there face. This place is awesome!

Pros: great food, healthy, friendly staff

Cons: Nothing, I can, Think of

Wow! - Edit

My fiancé and I who are newly vegan went to this place for the first time and it is awesome! We started out with the Summer Rolls which were very tasty. For dinner he had the BBQ Noodles which was fantastic and I had the Tangy Orange oh so yum! Then we took it over the edge and ordered the vegan German chocolate cake, so flavorfull and moist!. With a meal like this i'll never miss animal products! and all that for $21.00!
The place was packed and the small wait we had was worth it! Go check it out!

Busy Loving Hut - Edit

Apparently this is a popular Loving Hut, as I've never seen one so busy during dinner. All LH's generally have an Asian menu and a western menu, I usually order from the western side because I find that LH's tend to make great burgers. We started off with the crispy wonton appetizer consisting of vegan ham paste, dried mushroom, and plum sauce - they very tasty and my two non-veg friends said they wouldn't have known they were vegan. I decided to deviate from my norm for my entrée and ordered from the Asian side of the menu, both my friend and I ordered the Lucky Lemon Grass consisting of soy chicken, cucumber, tomato, cilantro, and brown rice - it was pretty good but I just wasn't too keen about how fried everything was, it also wasn't spicy as the menu indicates. My other friend ordered the Spicy Cha Cha consisting of soy shrimp, bell pepper, garlic, and brown rice - she loved it and I enjoyed the taste I had of it too, although I'm not sure I would order it for my meal. Overall this is a good Loving Hut with good food, definitely recommended!

Most awesome restaurant! - Edit

Loving Hut is the best restaurant anywhere! The food is fresh, very tasty and in generous portions. They have a good variety of items. Their mock meats were found to be of the highest quality by a national independant study. Their Clay Pot Fish is the best mock fish around. Service is quick, courteous and friendly. Their prices are cheap, cheap, cheap...check out their menu. Where else can you get a juicy veggie burger and fries for $4.95? 12 Spring Rolls are only $3.25! Everything is spotlessly clean, even the bathrooms. It is the perfect restaurant in every way!
BTW...try their Pandan Cake...it's to live for!

Pros: Food, Service, Price

Good Food! - Edit

I just stopped in here for dessert and also got wontons.

The cheeze cake had a lemmony taste, but it was still really great. My sister had chocolate cake and she said it had a strange refridgerated smell, but it was almost close, and she said it still tasted really great.

The wantons were awesome with sweet & sour sauce!

As far as the TV station playing goes, I love how it has subtitles in so many launguages, but I didn't find it destratcting or anything.

This place has great prices, I'm going to check out the one in Arizona soon!

Pros: Good Dessert, Clean, Friendly Staff

Vegan and you wouldn't even know it! - Edit

I had the crispy dumplings and the Spicy Cha-Cha. If I didn't know better I would swear that they were using real shrimp in this dish! It was absolutely excellent, with none of the guilt and cruelty of being a meat-a-saurus. This is one of my favorite food chains...wish they would come out to the east coast.

MUST SEE - Edit

Despite having a very small sized restaurant, the service was good and the food was excellent.
The most impressive food is the fish selections and the soups.
The soup portion on a medium are HUGE.
At the end, go get desert. The variety of VEGAN cakes will make your mouth water.
This place deserves 2 THUMBS UP!
Great job!

Pros: FRESHNESS, SERVICE, EXCELLENT VARIETY

Cons: Parking, Restaurant size, Hours should be later

Full of love! I am in love with this place!!! - Edit

Tasty foods. Most of the dishes are delicious, especially the soups, crispy wonton, spring rolls, spicy cha cha (mock fried crispy shrimp), cakes, desserts, drinks...
Can't wait to go back there again!!!
Cheap, but high quality and tasty, healthy foods.
I love their decoration, very unique and clean. Nice bathroom too.
Their TVs have some channel on it and I think it is very informational. Lots of subtitles on the screens, many helpful info about saving the planet and how going veg can halt global warming. Very interesting stuff to learn!
Really nice place. Great customer service. Friendly atmostphere! There's nothing I could complain. This is one of the best vegetarian restaurants I've ever visited.

Thanks Loving Hut. I wish there are vegan restaurants like this near my house.

I RECOMMENDED THIS RESTAURANTS, INDEED!!! :)

Pros: tasty food, cheap, clean place

Cons: more variety

Great food at great prices, friendly atmosphere - Edit

My whole family loves this place. There are a wide variety of foods to choose from, affordable and yummy desserts, and very nice servers. The TV can be distracting, but it is on mute and usually shows soothing images of happy animals and Ching Hai talking.

Pros: great food, cheap, clean

Cons: can't think of any

Decent Place - Edit

This place has a lot of good east and southeast Asian vegan dishes, ranging from the commonly found chow mein to the not so commonly found bun hue soup (which I had one time--it's a Vietnamese soup). There are a few Western dishes as well. The portions and price are both quite reasonable, and the food was tasty. The service is fast. It'd be nice if they added a few Malaysian and/or Indonesian dishes (after all, this chain has branches in those countries).

Pros: tasty, reasonably priced, vegan

Cons: could expand variety slightly, no alcohol (not too much of a con)

You'll have to watch animal abuse videos!! - Edit

My vegan partner and I went there tonight, SO excited that a new vegan restaurant had opened in San Diego. Soon after we ordered we realized they were showing videos of horrific animal abuse on two huge wall mounted TVs. I'm talking cutting up live cattle, and other stuff I won't mention. It was surreal!! We jumped up and told the staff we couldn't bear to watch the images. They were apologetic, and one worker said "We don't usually have this video on at this time" whatever that means!

Anyway, we took our food to go. I'm sorry to say it wasn't very good. Perhaps after the restaurant has been opened longer the food quality will improve. The workers were nice and insisted on giving us free dessert to make up for our horror, so I won't comment on the dessert's quality.

On the other hand, the restaurant staff seemed really friendly and seemed genuinely apologetic for the offense we took at having gruesome animal abuse videos playing as we dined, though also a little surprised that we were offended. The restrooms and dining area looked very clean.

It was beyond bizarre--how could the operators of a vegan restaurant possibly think that its patrons want to watch graphic scenes of animal abuse while they eat?

Pros: Friendly staff, Clean, Good portions

Cons: animal abuse videos, food wasn't good

3 Responses

vtnh1984 I think they have a live SMTV channel which airs 24/7, and "unfortunately" you were at the moment they showed that animal cruelty video, which is hard to see. It is really breaking my heart when I see such video also. Supreme Master Ching Hai is controversial, but based on my knowledge through friends and relatives, she is a very respectable person. When you come back to Loving Hut, I guess you'll see some different video. Last time I went there, I saw some video that people were singing, quite entertaining.

Yum! - Edit

The Loving Hut isn't officially open yet, they still have to finish some items for the inspector. So, they are open for dinner only. The menu has appetizers, soups, salads, and combos. I had the Lemon Grass "chicken". It came on a bed of lettuce, slices of cucumber, and slices of tomatoes. You can get a side of rice, if you want. It was really flavorful and crunchy. My husband had the Spicy Cha Cha, it was also on a bed of lettuce, minced peppers, and breaded "shrimp". He really was impressed on how tasty the dish was. We also got the drumsticks, which was made with mushrooms and an unknown item. We both didn't care for it. The other appetizers looked decent. We will try the other options next time.
The prices are very reasonable, for the both of us it was $20 and some change.
The staff was really friendly. It's nice to have another vegan restaurant in our neighborhood, it will definitely be on our regular rotation.

Pros: Affordable, friendly staff, Flavorful food

Cons: small parking lot

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut - North Park Uptown closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10829 times since Jun 2009.