CLOSED: Loving Hut

Contact 732-970-6129

952 Rte 34, Matawan, New Jersey, USA, 07747

Part of the international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Serves all vegan food and non-alcoholic beverages. Each location is individually family operated. CONFIRMED CLOSED, SEP 2016. Tue-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Tue-Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 11:30am-3:00pm, Sat 5:30pm-9:00pm, Sun 3:00pm-8:30pm

Category: Vegan, American, Chinese, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by elles_belles

good - Edit

Good food, good service. It's usually super quiet in there.. So no wait. The waiters do seem to have a little but of time on their hands (not super busy) but if you look at one they come over.
If I didn't move I would still come here weekly. They have delicious vegan cupcakes!!

Pros: delicious , vegan , quick food

Cons: wait staff , always almost empty.

I want to believe they were having a bad day.... - Edit

But the service sucked. 3 young adults with an attitude and completely ignored our table. The food was mediocre. I hate leaving bad reviews on an all vegan joint because I think it hurts the cause but I drove an hr... For crappy food and service? Not worth the trip. We're never going back.

Pros: clean

Cons: everything else sucks

good - Edit

food is good. the place smells like tobacco really bad, but there's a tobacco shop next door so it's probably because of that and not their fault. still not something I want to smell though while eating.

Pros: all vegan, good food

Cons: smells

We ❤️ Loving Hut! - Edit

Very clean and bright place, super friendly and attentive waitress, but most importantly - delicious food. Raspberry chocolate cake and veggie tempura were great. I had the curry dish with rice, veggies and tofu - it was pretty good and my boyfriend had the Philly Cheesesteak with fries which he inhaled. Good prices for a huge selection of vegan options. Will definitely go back.

Pros: Great customer service, Fast, Good food and price

first time here - Edit

really great variety of choices. plus alot of rice dishes wich is good for higher carb eaters like myself. first time there and planning on going back later this same day to try out different dishes.

Pros: awesome variety.

Cons: wish I lived closer :)

Awful - Edit

I visited this place twice when they opened up in Matawan. I was glad there was a Vegan place to go to. The people that work there were not friendly and the food did not have any flavor at all.

Pros: No pros

Cons: Poor customer service, Not friendly to people of color

Needs help - Edit

Vegan veterans know what they're getting from Loving Hut. This location needs even more help than the others. The food is a little bland but the staff is very friendly. It's great that it's a vegan spot and I'd probably eat there again in a pinch but it's not the type of place you'd want to bring your non-veg friends. There's a lot of great potential here it just misses the mark.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 22, 2015
So I've eaten here about 5 times and I have yet to find anything that I like or would ever go back for. A lot of the food is fried so logically you'd think there'd be some sandwich or food that would be worth getting even if you just wanted to eat something unhealthy but tasty...unfortunately so far I have yet to find anything tasty. I've never in my life eaten at a place so many times without finding something remotely appetizing. Dishes I've tried so far: veggie burger, steak-n-cheese, chicken salad sandwich, cauliflower soup, fajitas, a couple of the rice dishes, and a few other things I cannot recall. I don't want to bash this place so I'm going to keep trying to find something that is decent and report back. The desserts are REALLY good...but they're from Vegan Treats, which everyone knows are ridiculously good. It's almost never busy in this place and they ALWAYS have the same DVD playing over and over again. It needs a lot of help. I truly hope things turn around real soon.

Pros: Vegan, Go there for dessert!

Cons: Bland, DVD on repeat every time, Needs a lot of help

Some good unique items - Edit

I'm not a big fan of Loving Huts in general, with their menus largely consisting of "faux meat" TP dishes. But the Matawan location has added some decent items since they first opened that are unique to their location. Some of my favorites have included the mozzarella sticks, Caesar salad, and quinoa salad. Their owner is a very nice guy who will talk veganism with you and seems to get to know his customers by name.

Pros: unique items, nice owner

Great price and delicious food! - Edit

Had dinner on Saturday at Loving Hut in Matawan NJ. Food was good. We had the sushi appetizer which was plenty to share. And we tried the Happy Buddha and the Spicy Cha Cha - both good. The carrot cake was to die for! Only bad comment was that my dish came out of the kitchen about 5 to 8 minutes before my husbands.
The atmosphere is so so (not helped by the woman at the table behind us that came in talking on her phone who didn't hang up the for more than 15 minutes). Not a place to go and relax - decore is more like a fast food place unfortunately.
Would go again for lunch maybe dinner

Pros: Food is very good, Service was good

Cons: Atmosphere is so so

Yeah for local vegan food - Edit

I was so excited when I learned last year that a vegan restaurant was opening 5 minutes from our house. I've been a few times for takeout and have never been disappointed. Their chipolte dipping sauce/spread is amazing and they make a very good tempura. The staff is very friendly and they have a nice selection of vegan cookbooks to browse through while waiting. The restaurant appears to be very clean as well. My only complaint is that there is a large television in the waiting room. I will never eat at a restaurant with television playing, it annoys me to no end.

I stopped by the other day for a soy cappucino and was happily surprised to find out that they sold Sjaak vegan organic chocolates.

Updated from previous review on Monday February 13, 2012
Updated from previous review on Monday February 13, 2012

Edit: It has been a loooong time since any takeout was purchased from here because the food is just too greasy and uninspiring. While I am always glad to see vegan businesses, especially near my home, I stopped trying to find something on this menu that didn't make me feel sick.

Pros: Okay food, Reasonable, Large portions

Cons: Television in restaurant, Somewhat limited menu, Again, that huge television

So Delicious - Edit

Everything on the menu is vegan! I've tried many of the dishes so far and they all have been very good. Try the Spicy Cha Cha which is a mock shrimp served with rice and a vegetable or the Vegan Won Ton Soup. The staff is very kind and knowledgeable and the vegan desserts are amazing. Definitely worth visiting.

Pros: Food, Desserts, Value

Cons: Next to Cigar Shop

The best vegan food ever. - Edit

I recently changed my diet to vegan. I frequented about 5 vegan restaurants and none came w/the experience of "The Loving Hut." The owner is extremely friendly and answered any questions I had on the "Vegan Lifestyle." The food was great and I could tell the proper care and concern came along w/every meal. If there was one restaurant I would recommend to any vegan or non-vegan it would be with no doubt The Loving Hut in Matawan.

Pros: Friendly service, Great food, cleanliness

Cons: none

Excellent - Edit

I'm so glad they brought Loving Hut to Matawan.

I've had great luck with their soup of the day. The cheese steak sandwich is pretty much my go to. They use their own home made cheese sauce and it's delicious. I would also recommend the sweet and sour chicken. Top it all off with an avocado and banana smoothie. Excellent food for a great price.

Pros: Great Food, Inexpensive

My favorite Loving Hut - Edit

I've been to a few Loving Huts but this is by far my favorite. Each place has their own menu.

I ordered the Tom Yum soup. It was piping hot and huge. I probably wouldn't get it again just because there are so many other good foods here. I would recommend the cheese steak style sandwich. The "meat" was juicy and flavorful and the "cheese" was savory and delicious. I also tried the tempura and chicken nugget appetizers. They were both delicious, especially the tempura. I wouldn't order the nuggets just because the portion is so small, not for lack of enjoying it.

Pros: Reasonably priced, Large portions

Cons: Not closer to my house!

Return to Matawan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Loving Hut closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3848 times since Nov 2011.