Loving Hut - Ledgewood

• Vegan
Contact 862-251-4611

538 Route 10 West, Ledgewood, New Jersey, USA, 07852

Part of the international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegetarian living. Serves all vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and desserts. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Closed Mon.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Asian

First Review by Vegan_Bri

Horrible! - Edit

I would rate this a 1-star if HappyCow allowed anything lower than 2-stars.

My husband and I ate here at the end of February. It was some of the worst food we've ever had. I wish I had read the reviews more thoroughly prior to going. We had the "nachos", which were deconstructed and disappointing. It was a cold plate of chips, a few small bowls with refried beans, tomato & avocado, and some awful "cheese sauce". I think the sauce was made from nutritional yeast but it was disgusting, and we LOVE nutritional yeast. In addition to the toppings being of awful quality, they were also inadequate in quantity. In the end we were left with nearly 1/2 of a plate of plain chips that went untouched.

Next we shared the Sweet Potato Burger and fries. When it arrived we immediately noticed that it was made with tempura fried sweet potato (which the menu failed to describe) but we thought we would give it a chance. We wish we hadn't. It also had some disgusting mayo on it, which also was not listed on the menu. We tried to eat as much as we could (we hate to waste food) but couldn't bring ourselves to finish it.

Unfortunately there aren't many options for vegan eating in this area. We would never consider eating at this Loving Hut location again. It's a shame, we've heard such wonderful things about the chain but this experience left us questioning the other locations as well. I'm amazed that it has received so many favorable reviews!

Pros: Vegan

Cons: Everything else (not exaggerating)

good food, awkward service - Edit

The food was excellent and I like the calm vibe of the restaurant. The portions are big and the prices are pretty reasonable (except for the nachos which are a straight rip off). However, the service is lacking. I once took an order to go and they gave me the wrong order, and by the time I drove all the way back, they wanted the wrong order back (which I gave them but it was sitting out for a while at that point). But given the lack of vegan restaurants in the area, I think it's worth a try...

Pros: good food, great vegan selectiob

Cons: not good service

Delicious vegan food, heavy on the soy - Edit

I love Loving Hut, and started visiting when it first opened at this location, unaware that it is part of an international chain.
I just visited again, and am reporting that it is now under new ownership (and has been since around September 2015). I appreciate the new ownership's commitment to fresh, made-to-order food, and he told me they will be revamping the menu a little coming soon.
Everything I have tried at this location has been fresh, with ample portions, and has been delicious, with a good balance of flavors. The menu is overall Asian skewed, but also has a good selection of salads, burgers, and sandwiches. Highly recommend the fish noble sandwich.
One complaint that I hope will be rectified with the revamped menu is that the selections are overwhelmingly dominated by soy products. I try to avoid soy for medical reasons, and while there are a few good options on the current menu, I would appreciate more soy free options. The menu is a little pricey, but I don't mind it as much because the portions are large.
I will definitely be returning, if only to see what the new management does, and because the food is consistently good.

Pros: Delicious, fresh food, Large portions

Cons: Pricey, Not enough soy free options

Gets points for being vegan - Edit

Well that & we were able to literally park in front of the door. My husband & I went here & we were the only people in the restaurant for the first 30 minutes. And that was on a Friday evening at 6pm. That started to worry us. It was the first time there for us. We ordered the nachos as an appetizer. I knew it was a bad sign when I heard the microwave going on a few occasions. When the server brought out our "nachos", it was a plate of nacho chips, and little tiny bowls maybe 1/2 cup size each of guacamole, sour cream & two different beans. No vegan cheese. You had to make the nachos yourself & there was not enough ingredients. And what she was microwaving were the little bowls of beans.

For dinner we both had the Philly cheesesteak with sweet potato fries. If we got 6 fries each we were lucky. But I do have to give them a thumbs up for the seitan & sauce it was very good. I did hear a microwave but I chose to ignore it.

For dessert, they had only a few baked goods that she admitted were frozen.!we were a glutton for punishment & got by the server's suggestion the chocolate cheesecake...we should have stopped with the sandwiches.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 30, 2015

Pros: Vegan

Cons: Use a microwave, Limited frozen dessetsnot fresh & limited

Great Vegan Food! Love It. - Edit

Found this Loving Hut Restaurant using Happy Cow app. The Loving Hut place was cleaned and their vegan food tasted great. We ordered Golden Age, Pho noodle, Red Curry with brown rice, and Pad Thai Ocean noodle. We all love the food. I especially love the Golden Age with Brown Rice. Great food!!!

Pros: Food Taste Good, Friendly Server, Clean Place

Cons: Wait a bit longer than usual.

Wonderful Food and Service - Edit

I went on a Saturday, and they had two menus available - one with more of the mock meats and one without. I preferred the one without. Gluten-free items were marked. The food was beautiful, fresh, and delicious! The staff was incredibly friendly, too. Ambiance was reasonable.

Pros: Great selection, gluten-free items marked, delicious

Great vegan fare - Edit

Me and husband brought our 2 boys here for dinner. My 8 year old had the chipolte burger and devoured it. My 6 year old had the gardein burger and also finished it. I had the portobello sandwich and husband had the Philly Cheese Sandwich. We all finished our plates and especially enjoyed the creamy sauces on the side. We were very happy to find a vegan restaurant somewhat close to our house.

It was OK - Edit

I really liked the fact it is all vegan. The food isn't bad, but I ordered the falafel wrap and all it had in it was a couple of cripsy pieces of falafel. They were more like crumbs (Barely any falafel). And I wish it was cleaner too. I would definitely like to try another Loving Hut, but probably won't go back to this one.

Very neat and nice place for veg food! - Edit

Today I have visited Loving Hut for the first time after finding it on HappyCow.net. Came with two kids and wife and we all loved it!!! It is small, very clean, neat. Food, which we ordered, has been served almost immediately, almost no wait. Food was all very good, fresh and very tasty. At the same time it did not land as a break in the stomach, was quite light. We will definitely go there again and again. I just hope there will be more places like Loving Hut in the area and that they will be bisy enough to stay for us for years to come. We went "vegies" quite recently and trying to slowly switch to raw food. With Loving Hut around we definitely will not be seen any more in Red Lobster or, say, Bensi or Chilis and such.

Pros: fast, clean, tasty

Cons: TV in the dining area, noisy fridge in the corner

Very Good - Edit

My husband and I went there for the first time last night. We got Crispy Delight starter. I got the Philly Cheese Sub and he got the Divine Love Panini. All very good. The waitress was extremely helpful and the service was fast. The place was also very clean.

Dislikes? They only had vegan ice-cream for dessert. On the menu they have vegan cheese cake. I was totally looking forward to this. The waitress apologized a lot, but that didn't make the cheese cake appear in front of me.

One other thing. In their fish tank they had a dead fish and a couple sick ones. That upset me to see as I was eating a meal. The tank looked new and I understand this could be a part of the start up process. I just didn't want to stare at that.

I would definitely go back. Hopefully the fish will be better and I can get some cheesecake.

Pros: Good Food, Good Service, Inexpensive

Cons: Dead fish in tank, Lack of desserts

Loving Loving Hut - Edit

I may not be a vegan/vegetarian but as person who keeps kosher I've had my fair share of vegetarian food. This place is AMAZING it reminds me of the OLD veggie Heaven (before it moved to denville and the lost it quality) They not only give you great food lots of it. I know I'll be going back.

Pros: great food, big portions , friendly staff

New Jersey's Loving Hut - Edit

The Ledgewood, NJ location of the international vegan chain "The Loving Hut" differs from the NYC location and has mostly all asian faux meat dishes. Anything that tries to have the taste or texture of meat is not for me. With that said, even though it was a vegan place I had limited options.

Pros: good dessert

Cons: fake meat

Finally another vegan restaraunt in NJ! - Edit

I have been here several times since they opened. Some of my favorites are the cheesy bread, the golden nuggets, guru curry and the burger. All of the desserts are good and the people there are very nice.

Return to Ledgewood Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut - Ledgewood closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2642 times since Mar 2010.