First Review by JesseD

Not labelled 'Vegan'.. - Edit

We paid the extra to stay here as we like to support vegan businesses where possible, but I think this place is stepping away from their old relations to Loving hut in my personal opinion.
However I'll stress that the room was huge and beautiful- definitely worth the money, regardless of the breakfast!!

It's just called 'City Home' and although the breakfast does appear to still be vegan, it isn't labelled so and the coffee provided in the room is pre-mixed and from what we know, has dairy creamer in it (someone is welcome to correct me on that if they know otherwise!).

Also, on arrival the young staff member (who was wonderful by the way) was telling us about various places to go and try goose and various other local meat delicacies....

SOOO....although they seem to still be providing a vegan breakfast (which is great), don't go there with any dreams of a vegan haven like we did!
I think it's because they are listed on these major booking websites now, so most customers staying are just booking it with no relevance to veganism.
I even saw a mainstream review on a major website complaining the brekky was vegetarian, so there we go!

Disappointing, but a beautiful room so worth the money :)
If you're a vegan travelling Taiwan, I recommend staying in Kindness Hotel in Kaosiung as they had a full vegetarian buffet breakfast! will try adding to Happy Cow...

Great Vegan B&B - Edit

This place used to be a vegan B&B and Loving Hut combined. They've closed the Loving Hut so now it's just a B&B (called a hostel, but it's more like a boutique hotel) and they deliver breakfast from the other Loving Hut. At 2000NT / night (or double in the weekend) it's not the cheapest around, but not much more expensive than other hotels, and much much nicer (and vegan!). This is the place to stay in Hualien, and even if it's above your regular budget it's worth considering splashing out for one night here (just make sure it's during the week, when the gorge will also be quieter!).
I've updated Happycow and sent the website to them.

Pros: Vegan B&B!!, charming but not ostentatious, spotlessly clean and quite new

Return to Hualien Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut Hostel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1117 times since Sep 2010.