Loving Hut

• Vegan
Contact 703-942-5622

2842 Rogers Dr, Falls Church, Virginia, USA, 22042

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Serves all vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and dessert.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by Veganwithavengance

never a disappointment - Edit

This chain always delivers a high variety of tasty choices for a decent price. The staff here were very nice and the food came out quickly. My only concern was that I occasionally heard what sounded like a bird in the dining area. I looked around and didn't see any so all is well :) This place is located on the side of 7-Eleven.

Pros: speedy service, nice staff, variety

Some of the best Vegan food in the DC area - Edit

I am a big Loving Hut fan. I like every Loving Hut I've been to. So far I've been to Loving Hut in three states and two additional countries, with plans to add to that tally. Loving Hut in different locations can be quite different. This location is similar to Loving Hut in Milpitas, CA and San Francisco, CA. When this location opened in 2011, I knew and loved those California locations and was ecstatic they were opening a location in the Washington area.

One thing about this location that is unique is that they don't constantly play Supreme Master TV. I am kind of entertained by Supreme Master TV, but I know some people find it irritating.

I don't live particularly close to this location, I have access to other delicious vegan food closer to where I live, and I don't have much reason to be in Falls Church in general, but I make the trip out anyway. It's that delicious! My non-veg husband is also a big fan and gladly drives out with me.

The menu is predominately Vietnamese dishes. They also have a selection of veggieburgers, etc. Typically it's advisable to stick to the specialty of the restaurant, so I avoided the American dishes for a long time. But they're actually also really delicious. Personally, my favorite thing on the menu is the spicy noodle soup, but you really can't go wrong whatever you order.

Also, you MUST get dessert. Get it to go if you are full. They get desserts (donuts, cannoli, etc.) from Vegan Treats in Bethlehem, PA, and those desserts are part of the reason I make the trek from DC to Falls Church. It's objectively probably the best vegan-friendly bakery in the USA. Some of the treats are also form Sticky Fingers bakery in DC, which is also a good bakery (but closer to my house than Loving Hut). You can call and order through Loving Hut a cake from either Vegan Treats or Sticky Fingers to pick up at the restaurant. But maybe do avoid the ice cream, it's the one thing they have that's not great.
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 05, 2015

Pros: Such delicious food, whole menu is good, Desserts from Vegan Treats

Cons: No location in DC

I'm loving Loving Hut - Edit

This is my favorite vegan Vietnamese restaurant. It's a 45 minutes drive for me but I still go at least once a month. Usually I take my meat-eating family members and they love the food too, and we are Vietnamese so we know what good, authentic Vietnamese food tastes like.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 04, 2015

Delicious food, good price - Edit

I tried the Golden Rolls, Vietnamese Vegan Steak Sandwich, Lemongrass Tofu w/ Mixed Veggies, the brownie and the Boston cream donut.

I ordered the food as takeout and it was ready pretty quickly.

Everything was delicious except the donut, which was too dry.

Most of the options included some form of mock meat for the protein in it. I would have preferred more options that are whole foods based.

Overall it was delicious food for a good price.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, All Vegan

Cons: Not enough whole foods options, Doesn't deliver

Nice people. Above average food. - Edit

This restaurant maybe is still run by followers of master Ching Hai, and fortunately I see no promotions nor mention of her there.

Thr food can run from very tasty (Hue soup) to pho not hot enough to delicious sweets from the Vegan Treats company to homemade vegan ice cream that tastes like frozen vegan milk still with too many ice crystals.

Know what to order, and this will be a pleasant experience with pleasant basic decor.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 26, 2015

Pros: Nice staff. , Nice customers. , Know what to order.

Cons: Some items not great.

our favorite local once a month place - Edit

we've been eating here for years and it's gotten better and better - never a bad meal - the american is just just as good as the asian - the owner is so sweet - the pastry assortment is divine

Pros: vegan, asian and american selection, PASTRYS

Cons: a little bit shabby

Favorite cheap vegan eats - Edit

I absolutely love loving hut! It is the go to vegan place for my family, and I am the only vegan out of the four of us. Their Burgers are delicious and so are their French fries. My favorite is the vermicelli bowl and have tried and loved most of the Asian dishes. Some of the desserts are better than others. They sell sticky fingers baked goods so I would go for those. They also sell vegan skin care now which is lovely too.

Pros: versatile and decently priced, sticky fingers baked goods, sells vegan skin care and dog food

Delicious and Affordable! - Edit

Such reasonable prices for delicious vegan food! I tried the summer rolls, the loving hut salad, and the vegan steak sandwich. They were all delicious, especially the salad. I can't wait to go back, as I didn't have room for dessert and they all looked ridiculously delicious. I wouldn't take someone here on a first date, as it's a bit casual for that, but it's perfect for every other meal! This is a no brainer for any vegans and vegetarians in the area!

As a side note, I know some people can be weirded out by the Loving Hut tendency to have a TV running with videos about environmental degradation and Supreme Master Ching Hai. I guess I have a different sense of entertainment than some, because I always think those videos are an endearing and quirky part of the Loving Hut experience. During my visit to this location, the TV was turned off and I found myself a bit disappointed!

Pros: Delicious Vegan Food, Reasonable Price, Friendly Service

Vegan Treats! - Edit

We LOVE this place! The family that runs Loving Hut are great! They remember us every time we come in, and are always so welcoming! We go there fairly frequently now, as this is one of the only locations (at least the only we know of) that offers such a wide selection of desserts from the Vegan Treats Bakery, (based out of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania) at a VERY reasonable price! We've gone through a variety of items on their menu, and have settled on the golden rolls, vegan fish clay pot, and the crispy noodles (not sure of the exact name of this one, but it's a vegetable medley over crispy noodles). It took us quite a few times of trial and error to finally find some dishes we liked . . . while the prices are GREAT, the staff is wonderful, and they offer vegan treats (!), many of the dishes are average at best. We will continue to frequent them as long as they're around!
Updated from previous review on Friday January 20, 2012

-------------------------

After having frequented this place since they opened, it has only continued to get better and better! While we had a hard time finding dishes we loved initially, the recipes are constantly improving, and the prices have remained consistently low! Who says you can't get vegan "fast" inexpensive food?! The family that owns this restaurant is wonderful, and they work hard to make a personal connection with all of their customers. I've recently talked to one of the owners, and they are going to look into adding a Vegan brunch buffet at least once a month -- more to follow! Also to note, while their hours are 11-9 Monday-Sunday, they typically extend their weekend hours until 10 during the warm summer months. Finally, they take orders for Vegan Treats Bakery, but ensure you call early in the week before they place their order. Enjoy!

Pros: Great Customer Service, Vegan Treats!, Reasonable Prices

Hidden Treasure! - Edit

I love Loving Hut! I ordered the Lemongrass Tofu & it was awesome. It wasn't super crowded or noisy, so the atmosphere was great. The staff was so nice. I got the raspberry cheesecake for dessert & holy #%$! It was awesome. Not like other vegan cheesecakes where it tastes tofu-ish or something. Homemade whipped cream on top too. I got two donuts, that were a bit dry when I ate them a few hours later, but still good. I'm definitely going back!

Pretty good - Edit

This is the best of the Asian veggie restaurants in NoVA and it's the only one that's 100% vegan. The sandwiches are pretty good and we really like some of the soups and entrees. The owners and employees are very nice. They offer Vegan Treats and Sticky Fingers desserts as well as Sweet and Sara. The only thing I really disliked was the sweet and sour soup special, and their salad is cabbage overkill. I wish they had less fake meats and more dishes that just incorporated tofu and seitan, but fake meat seems to be a staple of Loving Hut restaurants. The smoothies are delicious.

Pros: Inexpensive, All Vegan, Nice owners and employees

Cons: Most menu items incorporate fake meat

Highly Recommended! - Edit

I've been to Loving Hut twice now and sampled a good bit of their foods. I highly recommend it for anyone in the area. We don't live nearby but whenever we travel we know we have to make a pit stop, at least for carry out!

The menu is pretty diverse with a good amount of appetizers, soups, entrees, sandwiches and specials; not to mention the desserts!

The prices are great, it's a good size area to dine in with quite a number of tables available, and the staff is very friendly.

Full review with pictures:

Pros: Delicious Food, Excellent Prices, Good Variety

You MUST try this place! - Edit

I am visiting a non-vegan friend in Arlington, and she was so thoughtful she did a search on yelp to find some vegan restaurants. She suggested this place, and it was AMAZING! I think they brought me the wrong dish, but it was so delicious, I didn't send it back! The fried wantons are awesome - crispy. We split a coconut custard donut for dessert - soooo good. I haven't had a donut in the near 6 years I've been a vegan, and this was so much better than any non-veg donut. Really big place, not cramped like some vegan places. Not a whole lot of parking and I wish they were open later (9 pm on a saturday) but it's so worht it. My friend LOVED it, and we may go back tonight!

Pros: Variety on menu, Variety of desserts, very friendly staff

Cons: Parking, Close at 9 on Saturdays

Vegan- what else matters - Edit

Friendly staff, good food, reasonably inexpensive, easy parking. They contribute to AR related activities

Pros: tasty, fast service, economical

Cons: serving timing could improve

Vegan in NOVA! YEAH. - Edit

So hard to find a vegan place in Nova. Much much less saturated in sugary sauces vs Sunflower.
Still a bit too much soy for my taste, but at least it is all vegan.
Consider ordering stuff on the side like avocado slices, or chia drinks with stevia.

Pros: All vegan, uses stevia upon request. , Not too saturated with sugary sauces, Chia, lemon, apple cider vinegar, water drink

Cons: Wish more non soy options , Lots of fried, wish more raw options.

What a surprise! - Edit

My husband and I were surprised that this little place was all vegan - apparently it's a chain but the people working there were all incredibly nice!

I had the wonton soup and my husband had the no-beef and broccoli. They were both very good but I liked his better! The real highlight of this place for us though was the dessert! We got the best vegan cheesecake we've ever had here and we took home a blueberry cheese danish that was also phenomenal! I wish a Loving Hut would pop up where I live!

Pros: yummy desserts, all vegan, friendly staff

Nice - Edit

This place was my first all vegan restaurant so it has a special place in my heart! Really good food, I recommend getting the veggie club (I'm a sandwich/sub person). I like how they offer extras and sweet goodies at time of checkout--awesome cakes!

Pros: 100% vegan, Friendly staff, Good value

Great pit stop! - Edit

We were on our way to the Barrel Oak Winery in Northern VA. Nothing impressive there, except that our doggies were allowed. The scenery was great, but the wine... eh. But we're not here to discuss wine...
En route to this surprise day at a dog-friendly vineyard, I took us for lunch at Loving Hut.
Brief history, if you don't know: Loving Hut is a loosely connected vegan "chain" around the world. I've visited one in 5 cities on 2 continents, and the food ranges from Asian to burgers to local fare, etc.
The one in Falls Church features mainly Asian -- Vietnamese, I think -- along with some American fare and a TON of vegan pastries. Many Loving Huts have freezers with all types of frozen, vegan faux meats... this one is no different.
The food was pretty awesome.
We had the crispy burger & fries -- fries are hard to come by in a place that fries only vegan items! -- the steak sub, and fried dumplings as an app.
Dumplings were so-so, but the crispy burger was a runaway hit. The steak sandwich is a standard, Vietnamese sandwich: greens & carrots, etc.
We paid less-than $30 for all of that -- keep in mind that this is the DC-area, and things tend to be pricey -- and we left well-fueled for the day ahead!

Pros: relatively inexpensive, all vegan, super nice staff

Cons: falls church!!!

good i guess - Edit

My husband children and I, just ate at the loving hut, and were less than impressed. Though the people were nice, we were not happy with the menu choices. Every single option had some sort of vegan "meat". This is not a whole foods restaurant, and if you do not enjoy vegan bacon, and the like, then I don't recommend this place. And the tv was terribly annoying!

Pros: good service, the egg rolls

Cons: loud and depressing tv, every thing had fake meat in it

I really enjoyed my lunch - Edit

Yesterday I visited Loving Hut for the first time. The service was great, the staff was very friendly, and the food was delicious. My favorite was the wonton noodle soup, but the golden rolls were great as well. Plus, you can't beat Vegan Treats for dessert; the Peanut Butter Bomb lived up to its name. Highly recommended.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, great dessert choices

Awesome and Friendly! - Edit

My husband and I visited this restaurant in June 2011 and was very pleased with being at a 100% vegan eating place!! We're vegans and there is nothing close to us, so Loving Hut is 2 1/2 hours away, but well worth the commute. We loved the staff, smoothies, desserts and the food was awesome! We first tried a Loving Hut in Orlando, FL in Feb., 2011 and it got us wanting more good vegan food. It's hard being vegan in Madison, Va and I'm grateful that there is a place that we can go to eat. We cook daily, but every now and then we would love to eat out. Thank you Loving Hut for being there!! My dream is that a Loving Hut will be opened in Richmond, VA or Charolettesville, VA or Fredericksburg, VA, which would be closer. So, please someone open a Loving Hut in one or all of these areas:)

Blessings to you and please continue to serve healthy, awesome foods!
Jamila

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

If you're a hungry vegan... - Edit

The Loving Hut is a worldwide chain of vegan restaurants. So far, I have been to four--in Pittsburgh, PA; Orlando, FL; Tampa, FL; and Falls Church, VA. Every restaurant has its own menu, which makes it feel less chain-like. However, every restaurant has Supreme Master TV playing, and while there are allegations of it being linked to a cult, at least there is a positive message behind it. It's really not much different from being in a restaurant that has a TV with a sporting event or news playing.

The Loving Hut in Falls Church is off a busy stretch of road, and if you're coming from the wrong direction, or you don't know it's there, you can easily miss it. It's on a side street behind a 7-Eleven. All the LH locations I've been to are a bit tricky to find or have really bad parking situations (like the one in Orlando). It's possible to get to this location by bus, but the crosswalk situation makes it a bit tricky. It's also relatively new, so the menu is not up on the website yet.

However, the food is tasty and you get a lot of food for your money. I mean, an order of two spring rolls or summer rolls is $2, a dish that would cost more than twice as much at most Asian restaurants, even veg*an Asian places. A large plate of Lemongrass Tofu is only $7.50 (wow). This location offers delicious bubble tea and Vegan Treats desserts.

The service is friendly, if a bit slow, and when it's time to pay, you have to go up to the register. This seems to be the case at all Loving Huts I've been to. However, if you're not too far from Falls Church, you should check it out.

Pros: Good food, Inexpensive, Vegan Treats desserts

Cons: Hard to find, Supreme Master TV

Yum - Edit

So, I've been to the Loving Hut at least half a dozen times now and tried a lot of things. While the selection is somewhat limited, everything is delicious, and it seems like they are already expanding their offerings. The Loving Hut is part of a chain and the other location I've been to (Orlando) had a huge menu so I'm hoping they get to that point as well.
As they are a new restaurant, they are still in the process of figuring it all out, so don't expect a restaurant that runs like a well-oiled machine just yet. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the delicious (and very affordable) vegan treats. Absolutely everything on the menu is fresh and delicious, especially the soups!

Pros: Delicious, Inexpensive, All vegan!

Food was cheap and very delicious - Edit

So I am not one to support cults or anything like that but I must admit Supreme Master ain't that bad. The Falls Church location has a delicious selection of all vegan vietnamese food which took me back to my evil carnist days when I ate Pho and dishes that weren't even vegetarian. I shared the fried spring rolls, the vegan shrimp summer rolls, fried wontons for appetizers and they were so so so good. Then as my main I had the Broken Rice dish and it was spectacular, I also got to try the wonton noodle soup broth and that was delicious so the full soup must have been out this world and I also tasted the udon noodles and they were really tasty. I got the Phenom Phen Noodle Soup to go for lunch the next day and it was like eating/drinking Pho but without the cruelty and abuse towards animals. Plus they packaged it correctly with the broth in one container and the noodles and such in a separate container.

My only complaint after going there once and getting there late was they were out of the vegan cheesecake and that was disappointing but the food was really good and for 6 people it was only $15 something per person and people also got bubble tea (very good) and smoothies and I got something to go and normally we would split it up properly and figure all that out but it was so cheap and we did a bit of sharing it just didn't make sense.

I would go back time and time again. Though I wish there wasn't T.V.s playing on Supreme Master T.V. but the food was good enough to ignore that. The staff is also really friendly.

Pros: delicious food, very cheap, vegan vietnamese

Cons: Supreme master is a bit cultish, they were out of cheesecake when I went, T.V.s while eating are kind of annyoing

Veganwithavengance So I have been back twice since then and they now have Vegan Treats donuts, cakes and buns and everything is delicious to the max. I got the Wonton Noodle Soup a few days ago and it was spectacular just what my cold needed to help get better (plus the 2 vegan creme filled doughnuts helped)
They also had a Pho special which I tried and it was just like I remember from my carnist days though it would be a tough choice between that and Phenom Phen Noodle Soup for best Pho like dish there.

I haven't had anything bad there yet and I doubt I ever will. The place is delicious and with Vegan Treats it "goes to eleven" They have also added some new non dessert stuff with the same great prices as the other stuff. I think I have fallen in love. My only regret is going there with a large group that is in a rush to get back somewhere to do some protests for the animals puts a strain on the kitchen and orders can take a while sometimes but the food quality is no different.

Stop reading this and just go already trust me they haven't brainwashed me or paid me this is just good food.

Return to Falls Church Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6990 times since Mar 2011.