Loving Hut Express - Food Cart

• Vegan
Contact 604-780-1029

Pacific Blvd and Davie St corner, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada,

Resumed business Jan 2015. Vegan food cart parked at the front of Yaletown Roundhouse Community Center. Offers vegan sandwiches and burgers.

Category: Vegan, American, Western, Fast food, Catering, Take-out only

First Review by Downtown Tony

Great food, great service! - Edit

Had a great lunch at the Loving Hut. Great food for a reasonable price. Shared a bunch of things of the menu and everything was amazing. Told many friends in the city to grab some vegan comfort food from the Loving Hut Express.

Not Organic but still delicious - Edit

the food or vegetables are not said to be organic and I can certainly tell because I always feel sleepy after I eat their food but it is still delicious, however, I also wish they could expand their hours.

Pros: price

Cons: hardly open, non-organic

Heaven for those who like junk food - Edit

Nothing against junk food, but this food cart appears kinda rancid. Not only is everything in and on the cart bleached out (the paint, the bills), the equipment inside seems to have seen better days, overall it doesn't create the impression of being very hygienic.
Any way, it's an alright option for junk food to take away. You may be waiting a bit, since they seem to get lots of costumers.
As far as I am concerned, I found it kinda hard to even spot all the items provided, to get an overview. The burger I had had good value, of that there is no doubt. To be honest, for me it tasted even too "real", to close to actual meat, therefore I wasn't exactly enamoured with the taste. On the other hand people who like the taste of meat most likely will be pretty amazed.
Service was friendly.

Pros: good value, convenient

Cons: kinda rancid appearance, tastes too much like real meat, confusing choice of products

Excellent for junk food vegans - Edit

Wife and i were in BC over the week, was able to stop by while biking around the city on a Thursday.

They use gardien for all of their burgers, so heads up if you're opposed due to the buy-out.

Flavor was fantastic, prices were reasonable for the large portions, and the three people working were very friendly. Loved it.

Pros: Great taste, Friendly Staff, Great location

Cons: Not "cheap" by any means, Only there a few days a week

Good for a fast-food craving! - Edit

This vegan food truck is great - even better now that they offer two completely gluten-free burgers (their fries still aren't). The mushroom and cheese burger is great, and I couldn't believe it was gluten-free. The food is pretty greasy, but it's a fast-food place selling burgers and fries so that's not exactly a surprise. I wouldn't eat it every day, but it really satisfies that craving. My only complaint is the pricing - the fact that Loving Hut are charging $10 for just a take-out burger on its own seems a bit steep (when I could pay $12-14 for a burger, side salad and fries at Meet on Main).

Pros: Gluten-free options finally - yay!, Great burgers

Cons: Pricey, Greasy

Love it!! - Edit

The food is great! Only wish that they were open more.

This is a food cart. They are only open on Friday - Sunday and have limited hours. Plus they often take off for festivals in others parts of town.

Save their number and call ahead. Otherwise you may be disappointed to find they aren't there.

Everything they sell is good. Nice people too!

I recommend the crispy chicken burger with a side of yam fries and their wonderful chipotle mayo dip.

All VEGAN!!! Enjoy!!!!! This Place is amazing!!!!! :)

Pros: Food is great!, Decent price. , The staff.

Cons: Irregular schedule can be disappointing.

Holy Cow, I thought I was eating the real thing! - Edit

If I was still a meat eater, I definitely wouldn't have known the difference. The whole food cart is vegan and I tried the bacon cheese burger ($10) and onion rings ($4). Yes, it is expensive, but wow! This is by far the best vegan burger I ever had and the onion rings were good too. I actually don't like onions at all, but decided to try it anyways, so me saying it was good would boggle my other friends minds, hahha!
I am looking forward to going back to the Loving Hut and trying everything else on their menu. The ladies working there are very nice :) I hope that one day, they could get more locations (with more places to sit) or extend their days and hours.
Recommended to all! :D
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 06, 2014

Pros: All vegan, Amazing, tasty food, Nice staff

Cons: Expensive, Limited hours and days, Only seating spot I saw was a bench

VEGAN FASTFOOD - Edit

YUM YUM YUM and YUM. Amazing fast food haven't had a burger and onion rings this good in forever , not even before i was vegan ;) . Defiantly somewhere i would take my non vegan friends , because it is AMAZING!

Pros: Yummy burgers, Fast service, healthy pop?

Cons: hours

Gone - Edit

Went by there today and can't find it. I suspect they're out of business.

3 Responses

Best food cart in town! - Edit

The food here is great, reasonably priced, and fast. The onion ring burger is probably one of the best veggie burgers I have ever had and its so cool to have an all vegan cart in Vancouver. Just wish they were open more...

Pros: delicious, good value, fast

Cons: not open enough

Best Vegan burder I had! - Edit

I'm giving them 6 cows. It's simply A-mazing. It was sooo delicious. But I wish they had few locations and an actual restaurant.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value

Cons: Food truck

Best Burger ever! 6 out of 5 cows!!!! - Edit

After a long, unintentional walk into the wrong direction I found the Loving Hut Van - thank god I did! I had the "Bacon Burger" and potato fries - amazing!! The flavours were just right, unlike so many fake Burgers it didn't taste artificial, and the friendly staff make it a perfect quick meal option when you are in the area.
The light rain didn't put me off (I was HUNGRY), but shame that they don't offer covered seating.

Cons: No covered seating

Back in business - Edit

Loving Hut has been back in Yaletown Friday and Saturdays (and sometimes Sundays) since mid-March, 2013 for lunch. Check out their facebook page for menus and times. This is the BEST burger you will ever eat (vegan or otherwise)... even my meat-eating friends agree!

Pros: delicious, friendly, vegan

Cons: none

Simply the best - Edit

I never know what I'm going to order when I go, even though their menu is posted almost everyday that they are open on their facebook page.

It's all so incredibly good. The chipotle mayo with yam fries alone!

The only con about this place: if your not entirely sure of their schedule(sometimes it changes), and have made plans to go there and they end up not being open that day, whatever food you end up eating will pale in comparison of what you thought you were going to be eating. So their only problem is the food is too good? Not too shabby.

Pros: fantastic food, friendly service, their usual location is really nice

Cons: limited hours of operation

Best burger I've ever had - Edit

If you ever get the chance of visiting Vancouver, you HAVE to go and try these burgers! I had the bacon cheese burger and it was easily the best vegan burger I've ever tasted. It costs 9 C$, but it is pretty big and so incredibly delicious! The staff was very nice, too. I hope I can go there again someday and try their other burgers. Unfortunately, they don't seem to offer every burger from their menu every day.

Pros: excellent burgers, friendly staff

Best cart in Vancouver! - Edit

Heavy on soy and vegan cheese, but oh so tasty! Tried the Crispy Chick*n burger, the onion ring cheese burger, Philly's Dream, BC Reuben and Healthy Grill. All have been excellent. The fries are crispy and delicious and the staff is super friendly and helpful.
Great for an indulgent treat...

Best Food Truck in Vancouver - Edit

We have been coming to this food truck since they arrived. The food is incredibly good. Our favorites so far have been The Crispy "Chicken" burger and The Healthy Grilled sandwich. Last time we were there I noticed a raw option that I will be trying next. Their onion rings are delicious too.

Pros: excellent food, very nice staff, so many options

Cons: eating outside in the winter

Best Vegan Food in Vancouver! - Edit

I love this place! The mushroom cheese burger is amazing, the chicken burger is awesome, and the cheese fries are so good! I wish they had another location that wasn't downtown.

tasty take-away food - Edit

Outside the Roundhouse Community Centre, Pacific Blvd. at Davie Street:
All the food is vegan. I had the Healthy Grill, $8, a toasted sandwich with chicken-like patty, garlic cannellini bean spread, quacamole, tomato slices, red onion, baby spinach and arugula. Very tasty. I could do without the mock meat concept, though. There was also a bacon cheeseburger, chicken burger, Rueben sandwich. Mid-afternoon Sunday, they were doing a brisk business, so there was a bit of a wait for the food.

Pros: tasty

Cons: just a couple of benches around

Best Burger ever! - Edit

The best burger in Vancouver!
If you like hamburger/sandwiches, you need to check it out. I have tried many vegan burgers when I'm on a small trip and this one was the best burger I have ever (!) eaten.

My girlfriend and me have tried 4 different burger/sandwiches and all were extraordinary! First we thought 8$ might be a bit expensive for just one burger, but it was worth the money!
Our favorites so far: BBQ Onion (!) and BC Reuben.
5 of 5 !

Pros: Taste!, assortment

Cons: Maybe bit too expensive

Vegan delight on the go - Edit

My husband and I tend to make frequent trips to Vancouver (living in the Yukon, you basically have to to find any civilization haha!) We scoped out HappyCow before our last trip and noticed Loving Hut Express and it's delectable sounding menu, so it was a definite must. We walked a few blocks from our hotel to find it, it was easy to spot. We really wanted to order the entire menu but opted for the mock "chicken" burgers. They were absolutely delicious! Truly a vegan treat! I am sure you could even fool the non-vegans with their incredible food. We will definitely be back when we make our trips to Vancouver. Also want to applaud the very friendly staff. Thanks!

Pros: all vegan, delicious, friendly staff

Tasty, Clean & Friendly! - Edit

Happily stumbled past this fresh and friendly food cart on a sunny autumn evening. Having watched the Vancouver street food scene develop over the past two years, but with so few options for compassionate eating, we were glad to finally be able to give the all vegan Loving Hut cart a try.

Very impressed with the shiny new wagon, the clean interior and the helpful staff. They explained the menu options fully and, as first timers, steered us towards the most popular item, the Crispy Chicken Burger. We were not disappointed! Very tasty, very crispy, with a great chipotle dressing, fresh lettuce and tomato on a great whole wheat bun. We made short work of it at one of the many nearby benches at the Roundhouse Community Centre. We also split a yam fries and a root beer.

Critics may say that some of the food is prepared from frozen, or that the menu doesn't include the 'health bowls' that you may find elsewhere, but the food we had was very tasty and well prepared, and I understand the menu changes frequently and is updated via twitter daily.

In terms of price it was mid-range, but the ingredients appeared to be high quality and we felt we received good value. The fact is, we're grateful for any winning strategy that keeps The Loving Hut a viable choice for our Yaletown strolls. We'll be sure to be back for more as soon as we can.

Updated from previous review on Thursday October 20, 2011
Updated from previous review on Thursday October 20, 2011

Pros: Crispy Chicken Burger, Clean, Friendly

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut Express - Food Cart closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7950 times since Oct 2011.