CLOSED: Loving Hut - Chengdu

Contact 028-80866163

133 Shang Dong Da Jie, Ego Plaza Shopping Center, 5th floor, Chengdu, China,

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegetarian living. In the 5th floor of a shopping center for the young and hip. The menu has pictures. Friendly, eager staff and some English spoken. Many options and plenty of seating. They also sell a few items in a front display. Located on Upper Dong Da Jie in the Chunxi Lu shopping area. MAR 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by letsgetfree

This place is great - Edit

This is a very nice all you can eat buffet in a great location. I went here with some travelers I met in Chengdu (who were not vegetarian), and both of them loved the food. The buffet is nice and varied, and it offers a good taste of Sichuan style food. The staff was also extremely friendly. Lunch was 17rmb, but they refund 5 when you clean your plate. 12rmb for a buffet is a fantastic value! I will be back!

Pros: 100% vegan, Buffet, Friendly staff

Cons: None!

Value for money - Edit

Only rmb15 for a good buffet spread. I like that they charge rmb20 first and that rmb5 is refunded back to u when u clear your own plates and no food wastage. Very good location at Ego Plaza as well where one can find good shopping after enjoying the meal.

Pros: Value for money, Good location, Good spread of food items

Cons: Typical sichuan food cuisine; bit oily

Tasty, generous, friendly, and sometimes oily - Edit

True to their name, and despite no English spoken on their part (and almost no Chinese on ours), the friendly staff at Loving Hut gave us fine service with warm hearts.

The menu is big and diverse, with plenty of variety from which to choose, including a selection of green vegetables in addition to the menu of faux meats. We found some of the dishes to be far too oily (as is so often the case in Sichuan), so you may wish to keep fried dishes to a minimum. The steamed baozi (dumplings), for example, are exceptionally good. Portions tend toward the generous side, so you might consider ordering fewer items to start, and then more if need be.

Also don't miss the baked items available at the counter. I took a bag of bean-paste cookies for the road, which i'm still enjoying. :-)

Note it's on the very top floor of the mall.

Pros: all vegan, varied menu

Cons: some dishes oily

Tasty food - we went there twice - Edit

We had a funny exchange with our waitress the first time we went. We spoke no Chinese, and she no English. After a very long time, we realized she was trying to tell us that everything was plant-based. We showed her the card we'd had written out in simplified Chinese indicating that we're vegan, and there were thumbs up all around.

We weren't there for the buffet, unfortunately, but tried several items from the menu, and were satisfied with all of them. Nothing really impressed me, but nothing disappointed me, either. Overall, it was a solid dining experience.

Great! - Edit

There is something both alluring and scary about Loving Hut- Chinese vegan fast food? I'm there! I went here in a pretty big group and yes- we were impressed by the decor and even the shopping mall itself- it's an interesting place! The food is all gorgeously prepared and fresh and colorful. I just love what can be done with Chinese ingredients in vegetarian cooking! The staff definitely loved to jump in with English comments, so of there is a language barreir it should be easy enough to use them and the pictures on the menu to get something great. The portions are really doable and the place is not too expensive. Overall it was a good experience and this place reminds of more of the forward-thinking Taiwanese eateries that also have veg. products for sale from a counter in the front. This place is great!

Pros: good colors, comfy!, healthy, nutritious choices, hip, young eatery

Cons: THE SAME MENU AS EVERY OTHER VEG SPOT! , mock meat, repeat repeat

Very Good! - Edit

I definitely recommend. We ate there twice, once the sit-down and once the lunch buffet. Both times we were very impressed - lots of vegan choices, friendly staff. The menu has items listed in both Chinese and English, and there are pictures, too.

Return to Chengdu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Loving Hut - Chengdu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 287 times since Sep 2010.