CLOSED: Loving Hut - Brea

• Vegan

Contact 714-990-2261

1065 Brea Mall, Store 2163 (at /next to Taco Bell), Brea, California, USA, 92821

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individual family owned and operated. This branch is located inside the Brea Mall and offers a steamtable of all vegan food in addition to serving coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and vegan desserts. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan, American, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out, Asian

First Review by stephanirose

They don't have good service anymore - Edit

Had written a good review about two years ago; however after today's experience I'm sure not to go there anymore. The service was terrible. I took a non-vegan friend of mine. The guy serving was there, but obviously did not enjoy doing his job and I'm pretty much sure he was not vegan. When we asked him to recommend a burger he said, well I don't know. The food was not as good as before too and the guy gave my friend the leftover rice.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 14, 2011

Updated from previous review on Saturday March 16, 2013

Pros: Vegan

Cons: bad service

Horrible food - Edit

I have had bad Vegan food but this one is among the worse. They have a buffet style service like at any fast food Chinese restaurant. Like at any greasy Chinese restaurant, the food is the same, noodles, fried rice, orange "chicken" broccoli "beef" and mixed vegetables. However, the food is tasteless!! It is too commercial for my liking. I don't know what Thai Tea some of the reviewers had but mine tasted like dirty water and the boba was tough like pieces or rubber. Don't get sucked into the illusion of having vegan food at a mall. It is worse than regular Chinese food. The worst part of the whole experience is the price!!! I still want my money back. I think I paid like $5 for the so called Thai tea and the food came up to like $9.

Cons: Tasteless, Greasy, Expensive

Other LH Locations are Better - Edit

I have been to two other Loving Hut locations (Ladera Ranch, Huntington Beach). I would be sad if anyone based their impressions of this resataurant chain or veggie food in general on what is served at this location. I went on a Sunday, drove for 35 minutes to try out this location (how exciting to have a vegan place in a mall food court!). Unfortunately, my bf and I were really disappointed with this food. He got the chow mein and fried rice which were greasy, overcooked and flavorless. I got the brown rice with broccoli beef which was dry, and I didn't like the texture on the "beef". Neither of us are picky eaters, but both of us agreed it was the worst veggie place we'd ever been to. The other thing was they had a menu online, which didn't match the menu they had at their location, and even the menu they had on location didn't reflect what they were actually serving, which was only about 8 items in their display. None of the items were labeled, and the nice gentleman serving us did not speak english, so we had minimal idea what we were ordering (the cashier spoke english but she wasn't very friendly, and was busy with other people). I am so hesitant to give a negative review to a veggie establishment, and I still wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it once. It could have just been an off day for them afterall. But, it is only fair to have a realistic expectation of what you may get at this location. Hope they can improve and become more on par with the delicious and inexpensive food at other locations.

Pros: convenient mall food court location

Cons: no labels on food, menu does not reflect what is available, flavorless and greasy

Loving Hut Brea - Edit

I loved the Loving Hut in Tustin and I heard that each Loving Hut has different menus, so I wanted to try this one out for dinner. It is located in the food court in the Brea Mall, so its set up like a fast food place rather than a restaurant. I got food to go and chose 2 stir fry items with rice and noodles. Actually the lady chose for me. After she put on the rice she grabbed a big spoonful of one of the items and said you want this one right? It was on my plate before I could say no. She chose a second one for me but I caught her before she spooned it on and said I wanted a different one. I thought that was weird...was she trying to get rid of those items? I don't know but it was the worst vegan place I have ever been. The food was dripping with grease and tasted like it had been sitting there all day. I was disappointed because I had been looking forward to going all day and was very let down. I'm giving it a 3 because I asked for a cup of water and I got a nice huge cup with ice. Also I'm trying to remain neutral because I didn't try any other menu items so I can't speak for the rest of their food. For a better experience in Orange County go to the Loving Hut in Tustin!

Pros: fast

Cons: poor food quality

it's good - Edit

When I heard Loving Hut was opening in the Brea Mall I got very excited because I'm a ten minute walk away from the mall. I've been plenty of times and I'm not all that impressed. It kind of seems like the fast food of Vegan food. I've had their house burger and it was very good but the chili fries seem to change each time I order them. The first time the fries where tiny and the beans looked like little baked beans. The second time the fries were a frozen bag variety with some soy spice crumbles. I'm used to consistency. Their Asian buffet was quite good. I enjoy the sweet and sour "chicken" (which has cauliflower inside)

The staff is very friendly and always attentative. The wait for your meal is not long as well. The most amazing thing I've had here was the passion tea. It's the pink/rose color cup on the counter. It's sweet and fruity and the right amount of color.

I'm not trying to give Loving Hut a bad name especially because they were able to open a Vegan store in a very busy mall which means lots of exposure. I just wish they stayed a bit consistent with their food and the quality was a bit better.

Pros: Good service , all vegan

Cons: price, not consistent

very good - Edit

I've been to the loving hut twice now, and I ordered the same entree because it was that good. I had their homemade veggie burger called the house burger and it is delish! the fries were great also, crispy & not too oily or salty :) I would definitely go back and try other items on the menu.

Pros: all vegan

Cons: in mall food court

Return to Brea Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Loving Hut - Brea closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 424 times since Dec 2010.