Loving Hut

Contact +3120-6825208

Admiraal de Ruijterweg 334, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1055MZ

Opened May 2015, a outlet of the fast growing international vegan restaurant chain inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individually owned. Makes a mix of Asian dishes like rice and noodles with mock meats as well western like veggie burgers, chocolate mousse, and tiramisu. Open Tue-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Tue-Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 3:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Asian

First Review by Be Vegan, Make Peace

Absolutely Fabulous! - Edit

We were in Amsterdam for two days a while back, and while we planned on going to two vegan restaurants over the course of the two days, we ended up in Loving Hut again the second day; it was that good!

All the reviews here were good, but then I got to the review of 'ichliebedich', who claimed this was just a mediocre Chinese restaurant where the dishes just happened to be vegan. I suddenly remembered my visit to Loving Hut in Maastricht, which actually fell into that category (yuck), but the one in Amsterdam is much more like the great Loving Hut in Leuven (Belgium). The person in charge even was a cook over there for a while (it took us a while, but we remembered seeing each others faces back then).

Each dish has a very specific taste (we checked 8 of them :) - 2x two starters and 2x two main courses) and the desserts are very, very nice as well. The people in the kitchen really know what they're doing!

Too bad Amsterdam is 250km away.

Pros: Very friendly staff, Is a lot like the Loving Hut in Leuven, Is nothing like the Loving Hut in Maastricht

Cons: It's a 2.5h ride to the restaurant from our place, ...which is the only bad thing I can come up with!

Loving Hut - Edit

I went here yesterday for dinner. Its a little bit outside the city centre, in more of a residential area, but is close to the 21 bus and the 12 tram. I arrived at 4:45, so I had to wait a few minutes for it to open back up at 5. The restaurant is bright, with a cafe feel coming from the scattered cushions and deli counter. There is a large television screen with Supreme Master content running, as to be expected in the Loving Hut, but when I was there the volume was off so it was not obtrusive.

The menu is a mixture of Asian-style dishes and Western-style dishes, and a mixture of full plates and snacks/appetisers. As I only wanted something light, I got a broodje croquette sandwich. This was a potato croquette with some sort of pickle mixed in, covered in bredcrumbs on a hot dog bun with mustard and salad. Small and simple but really tasty. I also got a latte machiato, a Bionade lemonade and a slice of chocolate cheesecake. The chocolate cheesecake was great, it also had coconut in it. All together it came to €13.70, so about average Amsterdam prices.

Pros: All vegan, friendly service, free wifi, good selec

great appetizers - Edit

Ordered several appetizers, they all tasted amazing!
Staff was friendly, I could pick up the order within 15 minutes. Place was packed with people. No airco though..(in summer might get hot in there)

Especially loved the fake shrimp!
My partner loved the samosa the most.
The cashewballs were really different and rich flavoured.
The sweet potato fries were delicious as well :)

Deserts were also great!
Tried the tiramisu, too sweet for my taste, also missed a solid base in the tiramisu.
orange cake was very nice. Vegan cake yay!

Pros: great appetizers, fast service, friendly staff

Cons: hot in summer, bland main dishes

Good Asian food - great service - Edit

staff are really friendly. we landed late in Amsterdam and came in at 8.45 (they close at 9) and the staff still served us everything we wanted - even packed us a tiramisu from the fridge. try the Dutch croquettes and satay skewers - coconut curry was also good.

Pros: all vegan great service

Cons: they might not take visa so check beforehand

More choice than at other Loving Huts - Edit

Having been to manz other Loving Huts around Europe, I expected this first Dutch venue to be fairly similar. However, I was suprised to find that as well as the usual selection of Asian dishes, sandwiches, burgers, cakes and vegan cheese specialities too. Fake meats still dominate overall though, so if that isn't your thing, perhaps you won't be too impressed. If you do like these sorts of food, I'd say that the quality is generally very high, and the portion sizes are good, whilst staff are generally helpful and make an effort to get to know regulars. As a bonus, the decor is nice too, though the TV can be distracting.

Pros: fully vegan, friendly staff, varied menu

Cons: TV in background

Contributions +16

Mediocre and uninteresting. - Edit

Weird restaurant. Just normal plain Chinese food which happens to be all vegan. The food was very greasy. TV was on with Ching Hai cult propaganda. There was a loose bird. Isn't that a health violation? Not visiting this place again.

Pros: Colourfull restaurant, Nice owner

Cons: Greasy food, A loose bird, Ching Hai propaganda on TV

Best vegan place in Amsterdam! - Edit

The food was beautiful, the restaurant was so peaceful and relaxing and the lady working there was very kind. The tempeh was so delicious. I wish I ate here more when I was in Amsterdam!

Pros: Everything.

Lovely Loving Hut :) - Edit

Great little place. I have been to the Brighton Branch also and this one was just as good.
I have the Cashew balls for starter and my boyfriend had the spring rolls.
Then for mains I had a hot chili sauce with veg and tofu, while my boyfriend tried the Tempeh salad. It was all delicious. Basic clean cut decor and friendly atmosphere.
Prices are reasonable and it was situated a short tram ride away from a our hotel

Pros: Great food , Friendly service , Good value

best in Amsterdam - Edit

Excellent food , fresh vegetables and home made sauces , warm atmosphere , lovely people and in addition to all this
great experience I met MOMO the parrot , he is part of loving hut's family in Amsterdam !!!
my next time in Amsterdam I will visit that wonderful place again for sure .

Best Vegan place in Amsterdam - Edit

I ate here on a Wednesday evening with my girlfriend. We ordered the Tempeh salad, Noodle soup bowl and a side of Kimchi. The place was peaceful, the lady who served us was lovely and the food was incredible.

It's easily the best Vegan place in Amsterdam, and a peaceful escape from the city too.

Pros: Everything. Especially the Tempeh.

The vegan refuge - Edit

Fresh food with a good balance in rice versus vegetables versus fake-meat and spices, clean but warm atmosphere, very nice staff. The sate is very good, and the soups, and... Basically I am never disappointed when I choose a meal. You can go for lunch, dinner, big meal, small. Veggies or fast food. They renew their menu often. Comfortable like a cafetaria, but not with the lowbrow atmosphere. Light colours in decor. Also great for kids. You get a lot for a low price. Sauces in main meals are delicious.

We're vegans and this is our nr 1 in Amsterdam. We are regulars here, and will probably be until we move away ;)

Cons: fresh tasty food, clean but warm atmosphere, very nice staff

Love Love Loving hut! - Edit

Oh, how I love the Loving Hut Concept! So glad there is one in Amsterdam.
We had a lovely lunch, two vegan dishes and we both enjoyed a (HUGE) piece of homemade raw cake. Omnomnomnom
It was delishious! If you're around, or not, GO HERE!
The owners are very friendly and we had a nic chat about why they opened this restaurant.

Pros: DELISHIOUS FOOD, Restaurant owners, They have a bird

Good Restaurant - Edit

The restaurante is not very big but the food is good.
The only thing that was bothering me was the bird they have.
Poor little fella they cut his feathers so he wont flight.

Well, but the burger is great. You have t try it.

Delicious food for a good price - Edit

Yesterday we had the noodle soup and bami with sateh. We had to wait a bit, because everything is freshly prepared. The food looked, smelled and tasted great with very subtle flavours, brought to us by the very nice staff. With 10€ for the bami plate, which left me no place for a desert, the price is very good for what you get.

Pros: great taste, nice staff, good price

Cons: "snackbar" atmosphere

Its ok - Edit

They have quite a lot of different stuff on their menu, from asian to burger, and sometimes even some dutch stuff too. Its ok for the price but not the best vegan food I've had on this planet. Try their milkshakes and the tiramisu, they are amazing. Something what really concerns me is the parrot which seems to be their main attraction for kids. Its cute, but I am an ethical vegan and really cannot see birds in cages. Makes me sad every time I go there.

Pros: Tasty fast food, Nice personnel , Price

Cons: Vegan restaurant with a parrot in cage , Everything quite greasy

Package deal - Edit

The Loving Hut in Amsterdam is my new favorite place in town. The menu holds different items, with both Dutch and Chinese influences. My partner and I had the kaassouffle (which is a absolute must for Dutch vegans), Home Made Hamburger (tasted much like McDonalds' Big Mac, only with actual lettuce, no animal abuse and considerably less arterial clogging) and the coconut curry which was amazing as well. Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, very reasonably priced.

Pros: atmosfere, fooooooooood, staff

Weird experience, but ok food - Edit

Somehow due to the staff and ambience: a really weird experience eating there. Next time I'll take away.

The burger was so so, but the 'kroketten' and milkshake are really nice.

Good Vegan Restaurant in Amsterdam - Edit

Delicious vegan food. The menu consists of a mix between Dutch and Chinese food. I would recommend to drink a vegan milkshake, and to eat the tiramisu as dessert. Also the raw pies are great! Only the chocolate mousse should be improved.

The students will receive a discount of 10 percent, which is nice! Also members of the (Dutch) Vegan Society will receive 10 percent discount.

The restaurant is also well-located. Several tram lines (12 and 14) and bus lines (21, 80 and 82) have a nearby stop. Also the highway A10 is closely located.

Pros: Great food, Delicious tiramisu, Student discount

Cons: Smaller menu than other Loving Huts

Great service and great food! - Edit

I simply asked for the recommendation of the house for take away and got some good advice on that. The food was great and the price was acceptable. I have a happy smile now, thank you! :)

Pros: taste, advice, quick delivery for take away

Loving the Huts! - Edit

In my travels we have been to every Loving Hut that we've stumbled across. This one was my favorite so far. It has less menu options than the other ones that I have been too, but the food was great, and the meat replacements would fool a t-rex. I strongly recommend this joint, and remember to play with Momo while you're there!

Pros: Very friendly staff , Free wifi, Excellent food

Cons: Location is a bit far away

Clean, great staff and lovely food :) - Edit

I left this place with a big smile on my face. The staff was very friendly, the place was clean, and the food was very tasty as well as fair-priced.

The coconut curry was great. But whatever you do, you can absolutely not miss out on the fried shrimp.

I also loved the option of buying some vegan cheese and vegan meats.

Pros: Fried Shrimp, Good Price, Clean

A. L. F. wound not be amused - Edit

First things first: The service was good and the staff very nice.
The food was mediocre at best. The "house made" burger was still cold and the coconut curry was good but boring. For the quality served, I wouldn't refer to the location as "inexpensive".
Now for the bad part:
First, part of the attractions of the restaurant is a caged parrot, who sits on customers' shoulders for photos and gets fed for their enjoyment.
Sorry guys, but that as far as I am concerned is NOT vegan. (Till every cage is empty... remember ?)
Second, this whole diner is a merchandise store for the teachings of Supreme Master Ching Hai, whose services are shown on a big monitor in the dining room. I recommend to check out the Wikipedia article on her dealings. Ouch.

When we were leaving, I wasn't sure if it was the food or the surroundings that made me feel kind of sick.

Amazing food, great service and very cheap - Edit

I now go here every other week, since the food is so good. The atmosphere is calm and happy. I love the service, as they are always happy and kind. Really recommend it to anyone who wants super yummy quick food. Its not a super fancy restaurant - but thats why the atmosphere is so calm and pleasant. LOVE IT

Pros: Food, Service, Price

2 Responses

Sia Sabzi 17 Feb 2016 - You are my favorite vegan!!!!!

Sia Sabzi 17 Feb 2016 - You are my favorite vegan!

and also, you give the nicest reviews.

And also, their food is amazing.

and also, I like kittens!

Tasty well prepared food - Edit

Took the hamburger with cheese and fries. The fries were crunchy and "dry" (not fat) , burgers also great. for desert me and my girl shared Tiramisu and chocolate Cheese cake.

Pros: Tasty good prepared food, nice staff, good price

Cons: none

Best vegan Tiramisu - Edit

- dezentral gelegen an einer großen Straßen, trotzdem ruhige Atmosphäre
- Interieur sehr bunt und fröhlich, Erinnerungen an Familiencafés werden wach
- abwechslungsreiche Menükarte (asiatisch, mediterran, Fast Food)

Das Essen (Vorspeise: Falafel, Frühlingsrollen, Tofu- und Cashewbällchen, Hauptspeisen: Algennudeln und Burger mit Pommes und Mayo) war solide lecker und die Portionen waren angemessen groß nach einem langen Tag.
Das Highlight war die Nachspeise: Tiramisu, der zwar mit klassischem Tiramisu nichts gemein hatte (es handelt sich eher um eine Tiramisu-Creme), die aber bombastisch lecker war.

Wenn man auf der Suche nach solidem, sattmachendem Essen ist, ist Loving Hut eine gute Wahl.

Pros: freundliche Bedienung, sauber und neuwertig

Cons: Dauerbeschallung durch TV-Propaganda

Go for the tiramisu! - Edit

I have visited several Loving Hut restaurants and it is always a suprise what the menu will be. This one looks like a fast food restaurant, not very cozy and cheap but the food is good. The noodles with seaweed were nice, much tastier as I expected when I read the menu. The tiramisu is great and I certainly will come back. The tv with the supreme master was a bit irritating (the sound was on) but I turned my back to it and the irritation was gone :-).

Pros: very nice people, much choice, great tiramisu

Cons: tv with supreme master, not very cozy place

Nice - Edit

I visited Loving Hut Maastricht last year, which is a vegetarian Chinese restaurant, and expected something similar. This, however, is a small restaurant with a select menu offering some fast food options, a few asian options, drinks and desserts. The service was super friendly and the food was nice (I had the burger with nice, thick fries). They also offer take-away, but unfortunately it wasn't possible to get the tiramisu to go.

Pros: 100% vegan menu, friendly and fast service, reason

Cons: select menu, outside city center, video playing in

loving it - Edit

Found this lovely place on happycow and just had to go there. We were so hungry. Wanted to order everything on the menu. But ended up with spring rolls, burger with fries, and the weekly special which was spaghetti with soy mince. To drink we had mango milkshake and cappuccino. Very tasty, juicy burger, pasta. Everything was fantastically lovely.

Lovely service, lovely people. Next time you're in Amsterdam, be sure to visit Loving Hut

Pleasant - Edit

Yes, it's good to finally have a Loving Hut in the North of The Netherlands. This branch is not too big and the interior is simple, but nice. The menu is not very big either, but it has quite quite some variation - from fast food (hamburger with French fries) to Thai cocos curry or " Momo's Special Noodles with Seaweed". And there is a weekly dish which is not on the menu. When I was there the weekly dish was a risotto with asperagus, I had it and it was really good. As a starter I had mini springrolls, they were nice, but not very special. For dessert I had tiramisu which I found a bit too sugary.

As (I believe) in all Loving Hut restaurants the supreme master was shown on a flatscreen but it was in a discrete manner, not disturbing folks like me who are not into supreme masters.

The staff was very friendly. Overall a pleasant experience, and I am looking forward to coming back.

Pros: nice food, all vegan, friendly service

Really delicious! - Edit

Really worth to visit, even if out of the city centre. My favorite dishes were the Pastei, the tofu balls, the cheeseburger, the home made kimchi, the saté and the amazing Dutch Croquette!!!

Pros: tasty, fresh, friendly staff

Cons: location (out of the city centre)

Loving Loving Hut! - Edit

Loved it!
My gf and I were welcomed with smiles and friendly greetings to a warm and cute looking place.
The menu was entirely vegan and had a wide selection. The starter was a delicious mixed platter to share.
We indulged ourselves with burgers and chips for the main course. They were filling and tasty.
They also have great dessert options which we got to take away.
The staff were full of charm and conversation and they treated us very well.
They have a 10% student discount on production of a student card, a nice touch!
It's not exactly walking distance from the city but easily worth the convenient tram ride!

Pros: Friendly staff, Large portions, Delicious food

Cons: Non central location

Delicious vegan food! - Edit

Loving Hut is a real vegan asset for Amsterdam. They serve a wide menu from Dutch 'kroketten' to Asian noodles and little snacks like cashewballs. Definetely try them! Unlike most vegan restaurants, Loving Hut also serves various kinds of mockmeat, like vegan shrimp, saté and hamburgers. They all are deliciously tasty and for good value.
Besides the good food, Loving Hut also has a very nice atmosphere and a really friendly staff, who also do take aways.

Pros: Wide variety of good vegan food, Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, Good value

Finally in Amsterdam - Edit

Nice restaurant with a good atmosphere. The owner is an experienced chef who worked in the kitchen of several Loving Hut restaurants over the past years. We started off with a delicious combi plate with all kinds of fried starters. After that we all tried a different dish. The homemade hamburger was very tasty as well as the noodles and fried rice with saté. As dessert we ordered the excellent chocolate mousse and chocolate cake with coffee. The quality of the food is from a very high standard.

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.