Love on the Wall

n/a

6 No Fu55 Kehua Street (at Kehuayuan North Road), Chengdu, China

Nestled under a green storefront with the word 'vegan,' emblazoned on the pillar out front, this restaurant is located around the corner from Sichuan University. The shop puts daily specials on the board near the entrance. The jiaozi is written in both Hanzi and English. The specialties are vegan jiaozi and rice bowls, served in boats and heart-shaped bowls, as well as juices and teas. Seating is family style and quite limited. Open Mon-Sun 9:30am-2:00pm, 4:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, Chinese, Juice bar, Asian

First Review by H2OAddict

Perfect jiaozi! - Edit

I had been hearing about this place ever since I got to Chengdu in the summer of 2016 for Peace Corps service, but couldn't ever find it! It turns out, "green storefront," means "seagreen," which tricked my senses every time I walked by! I finally went here for a lunch a few days ago and it was magnificent! The seating is crowded. There is one large main table with about 8 spots and then a window and wall counter with three and three stools making the total restaurant accommodate about 14 people. It's TINY.

The specials are written on the wall next to the door as you come in and the jiaozi fillings are in both Hanzi and English. My friend and I ordered two boats of jiaozi to share, each with three of the six special jiaozis being offered that day. My favorite were the tomato with mushroom filling and the pumpkins with lemon, but all of them were superb! The only issue I have is that they were colored to identify the flavors and I'm not sure if they were artificially dyed or if they used other vegetable ingredients, but it was nice to know the wrappers were made on site as well.

This is really traditional jiaozi. On some of the wrappers, you can even see the thumb-print of the workers as they closed up the filling inside.

The power went out while we were there and the lady just flipped it back on with the circuit breaker (not an uncommon occurrence in China) then promptly filled up our water glasses. Like many other vegan restaurants catering to foreigners in the city, they've decorated with mainly IKEA products, so it feels like a mix of the traditional Chinese with a flair of the West.

For those not interested in jiaozi, there were new Peace Corps trainees there eating rice bowls out of giant white porcelain heart shaped bowls and they seemed to really enjoy them!

Overall, I'm pretty sure I'll be going back here many more times in the near future!

Pros: cheap, traditional dumplings, quick

Cons: small, limited seating

Return to Chengdu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Love on the Wall closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.