Love N Haight Deli

Contact 415-252-8190

553 Haight St, San Francisco, California, USA, 94117

Low key atmosphere deli offering 12+ different vegetarian fake meat sandwiches; several vegan sandwiches. Sells various imported vegan snacks. Stopped serving meat, May 2013. Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:00am, Sun 11:30am-1:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out

First Review by diva

Super cheap sandwich joint in the lower Haight - Edit

When $10+ sandwiches have become the norm, welcome to the no frills, tasty $6 sub that won't leave you hungry. Don't go into this expecting something fancy like Ike's or Kit Fox, but for the price I had nothing to complain about. I tried the BBQ "steak" sandwich with all the toppings which was great. They have 22 different meatless sandwiches, most of which can easily be adjusted to be vegan (simply hold the mayo and cheese). Bottom line: not a place to go out of your way to get to, but if you are in the vicinity and looking for an easy, low frills veggie meat sandwich, this is your place.

Pros: lively, fun lower Haight neighborhood, best priced vegan sandwich in town

Cons: hole in the wall space

Uninspired - Edit

Food tastes all the same. Generous portions of largely tasteless, ordinary food. The breads are ordinary store-bought and dominate the sandwich. Very disappointed.

Pros: inexpensive

Cons: meager vegan meat portions, no vegan dressings, no vegan cheeses

great veggie sandwiches!!! - Edit

Happy Cow needs to fix this entry because this is definitely a vegetarian restaurant. I've been a regular since mid 2014 and there's no flesh on the menu. They do have cheese and mayo. And they put mayo on the sandwiches unless you tell them otherwise.
The sandwiches are delicious--great after bar hopping in the lower Haight! The fake meat they use is not like tofurkey--it's thicker and tastier. They also have seaweed snacks that are unusual to find in a deli.
I found the employees all know what 'vegan' means.

Pros: hand washing sink, open late, nice employees

Cons: bathroom is a bit of an adventure

BBQ sandwich - Edit

I had the "BBQ sandwich" which tasted bland and underwhelming. I was with a large group of people and no one seemed all that thrilled with their sandwiches. No spices or taste really, just very dry presentation. This is not really a place you should go out of your way for.

Cheap sandwiches - Edit

Love N Haight was much smaller than I had expected it to be when I got there (not a big deal) - there were probably 4 tables in the sandwich shop. They had several vegan sandwiches with a good amount of fake meat options. I ordered the veggie sandwich (veganized) and didn't think it was anything special. It was good and very cheap, but nothing to travel a great distance for. Next time I will try some of the fake meats.

Cheap Sandwiches in the Lower Haight - Edit

I used to eat here all the time when I lived in the neighborhood. The sandwiches are good and they pile on the toppings. One downside would be the people making your sandwich (aside from one girl) have NO idea what a vegan is so be careful.

Pros: Cheap, Hearty, Sandwiches

Cons: Staff not very knowledgeable , Serves meat, Can take a long time when busy.

cheap but good - Edit

I had the vegan BBQ sandwich. It was good, but I only got 1 slice of "meat" and the mustard flavor overpowered the taste. Very friendly staff.

Pros: many vegan options, open late, great soy jerky

Cons: small amt of meat in sandwich, too much mustard

best vegan sandwiches in SF - Edit

I've been going to this place for years. They have this mock chicken steak sandwich that is my favorite. I love it so much i've never ordered anything else but I'm sure there other mock meats are delicious too. This place is great late night i've been drinking at one the many bars in the area and also great for lunch. They also have some meats on the menu if your looking for a place to take your meat eating friends.

Pros: convienient, low cost, delicious

Cons: no free water, no bathroom

Favorite lower haight place to eat - Edit

They know what a vegan is. The sandwiches are amazing. The board it clearly marked so you can tell what is vegan and not vegan. I love this place for to-go food, but not so much to eat in even though they do have places to sit. (no bathroom) They are open really late, I think until 2am, but I am not 100% sure.

Pros: Tasty, Fast, OPEN LATE

Cons: Small

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Love N Haight Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3499 times since Jul 2008.