First Review by Beryl

great for vegans and omnivores! - Edit

small bustling happy sushi place in a convenient location. Just ask for the vegan menu and prepare to be amazed! None of those boring little kappa rolls here. Stuff like vegan spider roll wit big beautiful toppings...I felt like a target customer not like an afterthought. I tried 3 rolls and they were all great. The best was vegan firecracker (see picture) it rocked!

Pros: fun atmosphere

Cons: the alcohol is expensive.

VEGANS BEWARE - Edit

I first went to Lou's Sushi about 1 year ago for the Vegan Chef Challenge and have been there about a dozen times since. I have been a vegan for about 17 years and was very excited that a local sushi spot had a vegan menu. Today, I found out that several of their "vegan rolls" are, in fact, not vegan!

This is how it transpired. We ordered the tempura vegetables and asked the server to double-check that they were really vegan since they are listed in the vegetarian menu and not in the vegan menu. Our server, after speaking with the chef, informed us that they used egg whites in the tempura batter. This was a little disheartening since we have ordered those every time we had been there in the past. We had asked our previous servers to double check this as well and they assured us they were vegan. Obviously, the servers were not informed correctly in the past. Of course, we were not very happy about this, but totally understand these types of mistakes happen when you are a vegan - caveat emptor.

After about eating half of the "vegan" rolls we ordered, I realized that there was tempura vegetables in the rolls. We asked our server to check if this was the same batter with the egg whites in it. The server spoke with the chef again and came back to tell us that their are egg whites in the tempura for the vegan rolls. At this point, I was not very happy at all so I asked to speak to Lou about this. He did not seem very concerned about this in the least. All he said was he wasn't aware there were in egg whites in the tempura. I found this very hard to believe that he didn't know what was in the tempura batter at his restaurant. Lou didn't even have the courtesy to apologize!

Hopefully, Lou will remedy this at once and not keep serving un-vegan food to vegans.

I love this place - Edit

As a vegan, sushi can be slightly disappointing sometimes. Lou's Sushi is different. They have an entire vegan menu (you have to ask for it) that includes things with sauces and fried things and tons of veggies. So far I haven't been disappointed. And it's located in a really cute area down in midtown. The staff is also super friendly.

Pros: Delicious sushi creations, Vegan menu, Awesome culture

Cons: Have to ask for vegan menu separately

Wonderful surprise! - Edit

I admit I was concerned when I saw the menu- but as soon as I mentioned that I'm a vegan I got a totally separate menu! Beautiful, delicious, and a good value!
Vegan sushi in rocks :)

Pros: lots of vegan choices

Cons: wish the establishment was vegan

Return to Sacramento Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lou's Sushi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.