Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen

+44-1614457457

536 Wilmslow Road, Manchester, England, M20 4BY

Offers a large range of Chinese dishes from rice and noodle dishes to vegetable mains, soups, and mock meats. Owners are originally from Hong Kong and have experience in the food service industry. Open Mon 12:00pm-1:30pm, Mon 5:00pm-10:30pm, Wed 12:00pm-1:30pm, Wed 5:00pm-10:30pm, Thu 12:00pm-1:30pm, Thu 5:00pm-10:30pm, Fri 12:00pm-1:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-10:30pm. Lunch hours are 11:45am-1:45pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, BYOB

First Review by Evazhu

big menu - Edit

delighted to have visited Lotus Vegetarian. i called ahead and the explained it was cash only which is great to be told ahead.
set in leafy didsbury i thought it was quite small, then found out they had an upstairs.
a large menu the majority of which was vegan it felt like a kid in a candy store. we ordered a sizzler starter to share, crispy noodle with mock duck, sweet and sour chicken and a spicy aubergine salted dish. we prefer a pot of jasmine tea which was a bargain at £3.50.
while waiting we were brought crackers and tea. the starter was a mix of fried foods all of which were really tasty and very varied.
the mains again varied significantly which was fantastic and gave you a chance to try different dishes. the sweet and sour was very good and i enjoyed the noodle dish, with crispy noodles in a very light chow mein sauce. the aubergine dish was the only let down, in all fairness it may be my taste as it matched to menu description, i found it really salty and not spicy.
the staff were wonderful and if you are in Manchester i would suggest heading here.

Pros: load of vegan, staff, tasty

Awesome! - Edit

This is the second time I've had food from this place, the first a takeout, both me and my dad (vegan) enjoyed it, mum (veggie) and sister (not) didn't.
Me and dad decided to eat again in the restaurant and loved every mouthful! Friendly staff, mostly vegan food, resonable price, cannot recommend high enough!

Pros: Excellent food, Lovely staff

Cons: Small restaurant

A treat for anyone who enjoys Asian cuisine! - Edit

I have been coming to Lotus for about two years now and it is, hands down, one of my favourite Vegan/vegetarian restaurants to visit.

The menu consists mainly of Chinese dishes, including starters, mains and sides.

All the dishes are clearly marked if they are either Vegan, spicy or contain nuts. I would say most things on the menu are vegan friendly.

The flavours and variety and incredible, they serve some of the best meat-substitutes I have ever tasted.

Their 'chicken' satay skewers are mouthwatering, as is pretty much anything from the crispy combo platter.

They serve some lovely teas, which I often have hot as an refreshing accompaniment to our meal.

They do have a BYOB policy which is handy if you fancy a drink. I've brought non veggies to Lotus and they have enjoyed it as much as me.

My favourite dish off the menu is the sweet and sour 'king prawns'.

Definitely worth a visit if your in the NW.

Pros: A wide variety of dishes , the veggie prawn crackers , the £5 lunch menu

Perfection - Edit

This is my all time favourite restaurant - I absolutely adore it. The menu is wonderful for vegans, with an excellent mix of tofu, vegetable and mock meat dishes, some of which are very unique. I feel I am addicted to the duck pancakes and have to have these at least once a month. Slowly working my way through the mains - each one has been an absolute joy. Wide range of teas and soft drinks available and BYOB if you wish something alcoholic. The restaurant itself has a simple and bright decore and is always spotless. The staff are so welcoming and I feel like an old friend returning with each visit. A really special place that I hope to frequent for many more years to come.

Pros: Extensive vegan menu, Vegan prawn crackers!, Reasonably priced

Cons: Ziltch

my favourite restaurant - Edit

What a fantastic restaurant. This is the best chinese food I've ever had and I grew up in Hong Kong!

Pros: amazing food , lovely staff, quick service

Cons: hard to choose as so many options

Great vegan place in MCR - Edit

I've been to this place around 30 times in the past year, a bit too many if you ask me, but that's to try the amazing variety offered by the menu as a vegan... go there (:

Pros: lots of vegan options, great tasting food, amazing staff

Cons: a bit overpriced

Inexpensive and tasty food - Edit

Nice restaurant with friendly staff and an impressively long and varied menu. The menu is similar to some of the better branches of the international Loving Hut chain. Particularly good if you like mock meat - which isn't always that easy to find in the north of England - and Chinese/Vietnamese style food. I particularly enjoyed the mock-duck pancakes.

Inexpensive (less than £15 a head when we visited, and we had plenty of food left over). Bring your own alcohol.

Pros: Excellent mock-meat options, Inexpensive

Cons: Not the place to go for a fancy dinner

First rate for vegan Chinese food - Edit

I keep heading back to this place with my mother.
My love the starters and often just order a heap of these.
Steamed tofu with vine leaves - try it.
And the curry sauce is rather like a mix between Japanese Katsu curry and British chip shop curry - try it.
Lovely staff here - very attentive and courteous.
It's a popular spot with locals and first timers.
Huge menu, all tasty, and healthy.

Pros: Interesting vegan items , Good value for quality fare , Attentive staff

friendly and yummy food - Edit

The service is friendly. Food is yummy. Great place for vegan and vegetarian food :)

Consistently fantastic food. Huge choice - Edit

Eat here regularly. Huge choice of dishes, vegan and vegetarian. All cooked without excessive oil or any MSG. Delicious and tasty every time.

Pros: Huge choice , No oils / MSG, Fast service

Cons: No delivery, Expensive in comparison to other Chinese restauran

friendly. big portions - Edit

had a quick supper here. too wide a menu - why? nice food.

Pros: good vegan options, good size portions

Cons: my choice could have been a bit more spicy

Literally THE best restaurant I've ever been to! - Edit

I haven't found any other restaurant that has such a wide selection of VEGAN - not Vegetarian - oriental dishes. I was spoilt for choice! The food was PERFECT and I'm not even exaggerating.

The service is always brilliant, the food wonderful as and for my birthday, Lotus gave us so much extra food for free we couldn't even finish it at the end! On top of that, they gave us a group discount on what already was very affordable.

We were late because of train cancellations and the number of guests changed but Lotus were very understanding and welcoming.

Everybody loved the food and the atmosphere. Lotus helped me to show my friends how easy and delicious Vegan food may be and it made my day so amazing knowing less Animals died on that evening.

I recommend it for both Veggie and non-Veggie people. You will not feel the difference between meat and this, because it's just sooo tasty.

10% off for takeaway as well! Very, very affordable prices. You can have a full dinner for £8. VEGAN HEAVEN.

Everyone should try this wonderful restaurant and I just hope they will become a chain! They just need to be discovered.

Pros: Absolutely delicious food, Reasonably prices, Brilliant staff

Great Veggie Chinese food. - Edit

We went for lunch after hearing great things about the food here from several people.
Apparently its a good place to go with meat eaters because the mock meats are so good.
I ordered the crispy mock beef in Satay sauce, I have no idea if it tastes like actual beef but I really enjoyed it.
The decor is a little clean and clinical but the staff were lovely.
The lunch time menu was around 8-10 dishes several of which were vegan (clearly marked). The evening menu is much bigger and the choice is excellent.

Pros: Really Good Food, Reasonably Priced, Excellent variaty

A rare gem - Edit

It's tough to find a good veggie Chinese, and this one doesn't disappoint. As somebody who works in China, I can vouch that the food at Lotus is very authentic. They use a lot of mock meat but they also have just veg dishes. Vegan options are clearly marked. Very tasty food and lovely service. A welcome alternative to the other vegetarian restaurants the city has to offer.

Pros: bring your own booze, different cuisine, tasty food

Amazing Chinese food - Edit

Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen is very vegan friendly and marks all the options on the menu. It is quite heavy on mock meat, but also has vegetable-based dishes too. I've had takeaway from there a number of times and have enjoyed everything I've tried. Eating in or taking away, the service is fast and friendly. Highly recommended!

Pros: Lots of choice, Value for money

Chinese Vegetarian - Edit

We went here for lunch. £4.50 for white rice and a "mixed meat"(made from wheat gluten and tofu) and veg meal. I don't usually go for 'fake meat' but it was well cooked, the veg being the correct side of a la dente. Nice green tea to follow.
I have been in the evening now a couple of times and I still find the food cooked beautiful and subtly spiced Apparently they do not use onions, leeks or garlic but don't let that put you off. Great Won Ton soup.
They have a basic brown rice (which I prefer) mixed with white and red rice, as well as more creative rice variations. Updated from previous review on Thursday August 14, 2014

Pros: Good value, Well cooked, Good Service

A welcome addition in Manchester - Edit

We visited for the first time this evening. Lotus is a friendly and attentive place with a comprehensive menu of all your favourites and some new specials. Portions are generous, the dishes are tasty and there's a wide range of soft drinks (BYO for alcoholic drinks).
We were pleased to finally have got around to going and look forward to our next visit.

Pros: large menu , so many vegan choices , vegan prawn crackers!

Fresh, delicious, and made with care - Edit

While visiting a friend in Manchester, we went for dinner at the Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen because he described it as "the best Chinese I have ever had".

As a vegan, the first nice surprise was how many options I had - most of the menu is vegan or can be prepared as vegan. Great! We shared the Aromatic crispy duck with pancakes and cucumber for a starter, and then the Tofu & Aubergine hotpot and 8 treasures wraps. All three of these dishes were absolutely outstanding. The ingredients and flavors were fresh, everything was carefully prepared and nicely presented, and the service was fast, friendly, and attentive. Along with an order of mixed steamed rice and fried noodles, the portions were more than large enough for the two of us (and I tend to prefer my portions large). At a total cost around £35 including jasmine tea, this was great value for money, especially when considering the high quality of the meal. This is not a fancy restaurant, but the atmosphere is laid-back and friendly.

This is one of the best restaurant meals I have enjoyed in quite some time. My advice: go now and bring your friends. You won't regret it.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Good value for money, Plentiful vegan options

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.