Lotus Vegetarian

Contact +852-25128788

Shop 45-48, G/F, Fu Lee Mansions, 9-27 King Wah Rd, North Point, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

Vegetarian Buddhist restaurant. Some dishes contain milk or honey. 3 minute walk from Fortress Hill MTR, entrance is on Fook Yum Road. Mon-Sun 10:30am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Buddhist

First Review by beerzuki

hidden gem in tin hau / fortress hill - Edit

i've found my new budget-friendly neighbourhood joint.

i was the only customer at 2.30 on a sunday afternoon and took my time studying the menu (see photos).

while most main dishes are priced between $48-$70 (with some exquisite-sounding ones like "sauteed veggie abalone and asparagus with black truffle pate" going for up to $150), there are cheap options for solo diners under the "noodle in soup" and "congee" sections (ranging between $24 and $35 - there's even plain congee for $10, but, hey, you need your veg).

i decided on a bowl of "noodle with braised assorted mushroom and vegetables in soup" ($35), and planned to order another dish if that wasn't enough. i needn't have worried - it was delicious and i was satiated after the meal.

to my surprise, there was no service charge, even though a jug of chinese tea was served and its ambience is more pleasant than other budget eateries. i learnt that this kicks in only on the first and fifteenth day of each lunar month (when many buddhists observe a vegetarian diet and veggie restaurants are thus extremely busy).

i am not sure how big portions are for standard dishes. but judging from the way they are priced (per person vs standard), it sounds like it might be more than enough for one person. i might try those next time, bringing a container for leftovers just in case.

Pros: cheap if you choose certain dishes, nice ambience, late closing hours

Worth the visit - Edit

Went here tonight for the first time. First impression when I enter the restaurant is good: small but nice room on the street, with large windows that gives a sense of volume. Staff is friendly. They have an English menu with just enough choice to find something you like but not too many so that you don't get lost. I've tried the braised eggplant and also the soup noodle with tomato. Kitchen is just next to the room so you can here them cooking while waiting for your dishes... Here we go! Eggplant dish is excellent and quite original, served with a delicious black pepper sauce. Soup is big and good. Total is below $100, definitely worth the money. Will definitely come back to try other dishes!
Updated from previous review on Monday June 01, 2015

Pros: Original dishes & good portions, Like the room, Friendly staff

Lotus Health Food, Hong Kong - Edit

Yet another local gem of a place in Hong Kong.

This place is Buddhist run. From what I can gather they don't use any milk or eggs but they do use honey in some dishes. I struggled a little to get the message through re honey but a friendly native at another table helped me out. Now when I go in and me or the waitress mention honey, we just make a gesture like bee wings flapping and a bzzz sound and we understand each other perfectly.

Updated from previous review on Friday May 16, 2014

Pros: Vegan friendly, Inexpensive

Clean, Friendly, English Menu - Edit

This vegetarian restaurant is just around the corner from Harbour Grand Hotel. It is very easy to find from the street, opposite the ParknShop supermarket. The English menu was a little bit strange, it seemed to have prices for the dim sum, but none for the main meals. Luckily there were some pictures. I ordered two main meals and was happy to find at pay up time the cost was $93 HKD - $12 US, which was really good value.

The mock bbq pork was the best I have had, crispy, not greasy and with a good serve of green veg and rice - highly recommended for people who don't mind a bit of mock meat!

I also had the braised tofu and mixed veg. It was a very generous serve and well presented (even a carrot slice cut into a bird shape!) but a little bit on the bland side for my tastes.

I had a good meal and even brought some home in my lunch box.

There is no English spoken (I asked for water and the lady didn't understand), but if smiles are the universal language, then this place is certainly not lacking...the lady working there was soooo lovely and smiley. So if you have any special requirements beyond standard vegetarianism, I would ask someone Chinese to write them for you (the staff at the hotel front desk could help if you are stuck!).

I would definitely go back.

Pros: Tasty, Clean, Friendly , Inexpensive

Cons: Language barrier, Lack of prices on menu

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lotus Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1670 times since Apr 2014.