Lotus Vegetarian

703-378-6888

13872 Metrotech Dr (at Sully Place Shopping Center), Chantilly, Virginia, USA, 20151

Casual vegetarian restaurant serving mostly Asian vegan food with also veggie burgers and sandwiches. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Western, Take-out

First Review by dalgal

Great vegetarian meals - Edit

I'm a big fan of Lotus. The veggie casserole is packed with so many delicious vegetables and tofu. Very affordable.

Pros: vegan options aplenty , affordable , friendly

love this place! - Edit

Very friendly staff and yummy food! I'm happy to have found a decent restaurant near me that has soooo many vegan options!

Found While Traveling - Edit

Attending a family function in the DC area staying in Chantilly, VA we were looking for place to get something to eat. This was our first trip since changing our lifestyle. We found Lotus Vegetarian near where we were staying and tried it out. An excellent meal. A Family Atmosphere. Very generous servings - brought leftovers back to our room for two more meals.

Pros: Easy to find, Family friendly, Generous servigs

Great selection, good service, and tasty - Edit

Went for lunch today. Many choices on the menu! We had all three sushi selections plus the lettuce wraps and faux prawns. Food came out in a reasonable time. All of it was fresh and tasty. They don't put chopsticks on the tables so we had to ask for them - not a big deal. Coffee was served in a styrofoam cup which the waitress only reluctantly refilled so that's a negative for me. We will definitely return. But will order tea.

Pros: selection, taste, value

Cons: styrofoam usage

Great quick vegan meals! - Edit

I live nearby, and this is one of my go to places to get take out. Most of the menu is some blend of Chinese/Thai, but they have a bunch of other sandwiches/burgers, salads, etc. Only a few things on their menu aren't vegan, and anything that isn't vegan states so explicitly. Most of their menu can also be made gluten free upon request. Their turn around after placing an order is really fast. Always within 15 minutes and mostly within 10 in my experience. However, table service can be inconsistent.

Some of my favorites are the crispy orange eggplant, lotus organic tofu, and kung pao asparagus. The only thing about some of their dishes that strikes me as sub-optimal is that a lot of their dishes involving fried tofu have too much breading.

Pros: Good food, Cheap, Fast

Cons: Inconsistent table service

Fantastic! - Edit

Almost everything on the menu is vegan. There are a few smoothies that have dairy as well as wontons on the appetizer list. My favorite dishes include General Tso's, sauteed udon noodles, summer rolls, pan-fried dumplings, miso soup, watercress wonton soup. the avocado sushi roll, orange veg chicken burger, and the vege-chicken with cashews. You will not be disappointed.

Pros: Yummy food every time , Affordable, Portions: good bang for your buck

Typical Veg Chinese food - Edit

This restaurant is like every other veg/an chinese restaurant I've been too. Lots of yummy, deep fried, sauce covered, a little too sweet, soy meat & veggies.

I really like that they have brown rice here, since most of the veg chinese places ive been to have white rice & if you want brown, it costs extra. Not here, which is nice.

The sweet & sour and orange chicken/eggplant/whatever is VERY sweet, but that's to be expected.

The lotus spicy is a GIANT pile of various sliced/shredded soy meats and is not spicy, but I'm addicted to the spice & have a very high bar for whats spicy ;)

The fried dumplings are super good, tho the sauce is a little hoisin/BBQ like.

The sandwiches/burgers are very chinese inspired, the orange chicken one is weird, but surprisingly good.

I've had alot of things here, I'd have to say i like the things that have breaded/fried protein in them, since they are crunchy and chewy and delicious. The sauteed soy meats are ok, but I really like the crunch of the breaded stuff.

Oh and the lunch special is the jam. Its a good way to try different things on the cheap, and its awesome to pick up if you have a flight out of Dulles and need something to eat on the plane. :)

Pros: variety, brown rice, food for the airplane

Cons: kinda sweet, generic veg chinese

Decent for what it is - Edit

We visited Lotus a couple of years ago and weren't impressed, but unless a restaurant is terrible, I always give it a second chance. After all, I could have just ordered the one bad dish on the menu. Well, I will not be giving Lotus a third chance. Here's a recap of my experience:

1.) The server was rude and made me feel unwelcome. I needed a moment to look over the menu before ordering, and she didn't like that.

2.) The menu is primarily TVP/soy, which isn't bad for everyone, but aside from the salads, someone gluten-free wouldn't have many options.

3.) I started with the veg chicken nuggets. They were... well... veg chicken nuggets, served with ketchup. Nothing fancy, but they aren't intended to be.

4.) I also got the avocado sushi roll. It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't as good as the sushi from pretty much any other sushi place. But this ISN'T a sushi place, so I didn't expect it to be excellent. I think what bothered me was that it used brown rice, and their brown rice tastes like cardboard.

4.) My entree was the General Tso's chik'n dish, which is served as fried soy balls covered in sauce and garnished with a little bit of undercooked broccoli. It was fine-- something I'd expect from a little Chinese takeout joint. The brown rice was unpleasant and the broccoli was undercooked, so I just ate the soy balls. Some veggies would've been nice.

5.) My husband ordered the Manchurian Palate. It was soy balls, some peppers, and a side of brown rice. The flavor was very basilly (and basil is listed as an ingredient), so if you love basil, you may love this. But if you only think basil is okay, then you might find this dish kind of perfumey tasting.

Overall, if you're looking for a place that serves cheap Chinese-style food (at a not-so-cheap price), go here. If you want to have a nice dinner out with your spouse, you're going to have to get closer to D.C.

Pros: vegan, many options

Cons: relies on TVP and soy, rude waitstaff

Lotus Vegetarian - Edit

neat little restaurant with friendly service. nice salads, sizzling "beef" with whole wheat noddles, steamed dumplings, "beef" with snow peas are a favorites.

Pros: healthy, tasty, moderately priced

0:15 from Dulles and worth it! - Edit

Staying near Dulles Airport for work, I was hungry for some good non-mall, non-hotel food. So, thanks to Happy Cow, I found and made the 15 minute drive to Lotus Vegetarian. Well worth it!

Super quick service. If anything, it was too quick given that I was eating alone and was in no rush. Had the vegetarian wonton soup...yum! Also, ordered General Tso's Special, with soy nuggets, broccoli, chili sauce on brown rice. Double yum.

All this for less than $20, including tax and tip. Go for it!

Pros: Speedy service, Yummy food, Good value

Cons: Tough to find

Good vegan food - Edit

Great choices if you are lie me and are vegan. The only caution is when you go try not to be there near closing, the owner or managers he gets testy and really tries to push you out.

Pros: Excellent food

Cons: Service, Too much tvp & tofu

Awesome veg food! - Edit

I used to work close to this place, so when it opened, it became a regular lunch stop. Many of my non-veg coworkers come here regularly as we'll. the food is very good and mostly organic. They also have great smoothies!

My favorite meal here is the whole wheat dumplings, the pumpkin chowder, and the veggie club sandwich. Yum!

Pros: great food

Cons: a tad bit pricey

Great vegan food! - Edit

We LOVE Lotus and have been there too many times to count! The vegan dumplings, pan-fried or steamed, are amazing and seem to be our starter most of the time. I also like their sushi rolls, with nice tender nori and brown rice. All the soups are great but my absolute favorite is the pumpkin chowder. It has great flavor with a nice creamy consistency without using dairy.

All the entrees I have had have been delicious, but I especially enjoy the lettuce wraps and the tempeh sandwich. You really cannot go wrong here and the staff is very friendly and eager to explain the menu if you have questions.

Gem - Edit

Really like this place! Has a large variety of vegan options and menu is very clear on what contains milk or is spicy! Service has gone downhill a bit in the past few months though.

Pros: Good Value, Excellent food, Healthy

Cons: Staff needs improvement

Excellent! - Edit

One of the best vegan-friendly restaurants in the D.C. area. The fake meat dishes please most non-vegetarians too.

Pros: great food, inexpensive

Great local place - Edit

I live about 5 miles away from Lotus, and go there or get take out from there probably 2-3 times a month. I'm so happy to have a mostly vegan (a FEW clearly marked dishes have dairy/eggs) place so close! It's mostly Asian type of food - my favorite dish is the Lotus Spicy with tofu and soy protein with a bunch of veggies and spicy brown sauce, with brown rice. I will say that they changed the soy protein and I liked the old one better, but it's still pretty good. My son likes the chik'n nuggets and edamame, and even my tofu-hating omni husband has found some things he likes there. I wouldn't say it's high vegan cuisine, but it's pretty good for everyday.

Best vegan option in Northern VA - Edit

I used to go to Lotus twice a week when I worked in Herndon--just a few miles away. Now I go when I'm in the area.

Almost every time I go, I get miso soup, iced ginger honey crystal (I know, not technically vegan, but I don't do it often anymore), vegetable spring rolls, and orange eggplant with brown rice. Sometimes, I get the Lotus Spicy or General Tso's Surprise. All of the options are excellent and my non-vegan friends love it too.

Pros: delicious, affordable, variety

Cons: a little slow, could have better service

incredible food! - Edit

I was very impressed with how well the food was prepared here. wide menu selection and clearly marked menu.

Return to Chantilly Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lotus Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.