Lotus Chaat and Spices

Contact 415-454-6887

1559 4th St (at F St), San Rafael, California, USA, 94901

Serves meat, vegan options available. Most dishes are vegetarian and many are vegan. Uses organic ingredients as much as possible. Note: Lotus Chaat and Spices is not the same place as Lotus Cuisine.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Organic, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by pepperka

A good option when Radiance is closed - Edit

Lotus Chaat and Spices offers a refreshing change from the usual overfried Indian restaurant menu, with a selection of chats, snacks, and South Indian meals, including some that are more health-conscious than the typical Indian restaurant. The Bean Sprout Bhel is a good example — creative, light, fresh, and tasty.

There are enough vegan items on the menu that hopefully most diners will find something appealing, and they're clearly marked.

If this place were completely vegan, we'd be devoted regulars, but unfortunately they do sell meat. At least they do make efforts to cater to vegans, and we very much appreciate that.

Pros: Several vegan items clearly marked

Cons: Serves meat

Attention to detail and attentive to vegans - Edit

Had end of school year dinner for family of four. Only one of us was familiar with the menu. Great healthy tasty vegan options and owner truly supports non GMO and organic in restaurant and attached store. We will definitely return again for dinner.

Pros: friendly, tasty, variety

Cons: not 100% vegan

Great service, delicious food! - Edit

I guess this place is really new, but happily lacking in the problems usually associated with that. To start off, the service was great! The server was really friendly and knowledgeable (tell him Vegan and he'll guide you), made good suggestions, and made sure (nicely) that we knew how to properly eat the food... which makes sense if you try the Pani Puri, you'll see what I mean. The guy bringing the food was polite and quick, and the other guy (manager maybe?) was really friendly and helpful when we browsed the little food shop attached.
And the food! Fantastic! Chaat is a little different than most americans are used to, and that is just fine. I highly suggest the Pani Puri--great flavors, and fun to eat! The Lotus Special Dosa was really flavorful with great texture. The sambar served with it was different than I'm used to, and not my favorite, but still tasty. And ohhhh the Bean Sprout Bhel! So different, so delicious. It's little tiny sprouted beans (not the actual shoots, just the beans right after sprouting) mixed with veggies, crispy stuff, and sauces. Delightful and fresh.
My suggestion is do what we did--get a few things and split them all. It's really affordable too, so an attainable goal is trying everything on the menu in the next year :) Oh, and the server said they are adding more vegan things soon... yay!

Pros: delicious food, good price, great service

Return to San Rafael Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lotus Chaat and Spices closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1701 times since Apr 2011.