Lotus Cafe and Juice Bar

• Veg-friendly
Contact 760-479-1977

765 S Coast Hwy 101 (at downtown), Encinitas, California, USA, 92024

Serves meat, vegan options available. Menu is vegetarian with some fish and poultry. Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free choices are marked. Offers breakfast, fresh salads, fruit smoothies, organic carrot and veggie juice, wheatgrass, and 2 daily soups. Spacious dining are. Order at the counter, and food is brought to your table.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by jamber79

Satisfying - Edit

This is a nice place to go by yourself or with friends. It is always busy and has an upbeat energy. I like simple vegan wholesome food and I often get the veggie stuffed sweet potato with sesame sauce with a side of black beans and I'm good to go. It has a good size menu with clean food and satisfies vegans as well as non vegans.

good options/disclosures - Edit

Good selection of options, make sure you specify you want vegan and they will tell you what to add/subtract from your meal. For example: The Veggie Dog, which is delicious, uses a bun that is made with eggs, but they can sub bread.

Pros: selection, knowledge of menu

Lots of Vegan choices; menu mostly Vegetarian - Edit

My husband and i, who are the owners of Lotus Cafe and Juice Bar, have been long-time vegetarians (22+ years). We wanted to create a place where vegans, vegetarians, and my own family (who is not vegetarian) could come and happily share a meal together.

Lotus Cafe is dedicated to serving fresh, natural, healthy food at affordable prices, prepared with love, simplicity, and a joyful heart. Our ingredients are sourced with care and are always natural. We use local produce; certain things on the menu are always organic, others are as cost permits. Items that are not certified organic have been grown as cleanly as possible; (i.e. some farmers grow organically but can't afford the certification process).

We bake our vegan cupcakes in-house fresh every morning; and always have two homemade soups every day: one is always vegan, the other is always vegetarian. Everything on the menu is clearly marked with icons to note which items are vegan, strict vegetarian, vegetarian and/or gluten-free. Our menu can be previewed on our website: www.lotuscafeandjuicebar.com.

We have a wide range of offerings: soups, appetizers, a children's menu, salads with organic lettuce, and entrees. Our juice bar squeezes fresh organic carrot juice, organic veggie juice, and fresh organic wheatgrass shots. The juice bar also offers a wide selection of fruit smoothies, made with fruit juice and fruit only, and also milk shakes that can be made vegan using soy milk or almond milk and soy ice cream. We also have acai and pitaya bowls.

My favorites:
1.) Indian Curry Bowl (vegan) w/ addition of sauteed tempeh;
2.) Yogi Bliss (vegan) w/a side of avocado

We are located on South Coast Highway 101, in Old Downtown Encinitas, opposite "G" Street, in the Lumberyard.

Lotus Cafe and Juice Bar is casual and affordable; you place your order at the counter, get your table number, and on your way to your table collect your napkins, utensils, condiments, and help yourself to water at one of the two condiment counters. Pick the table of your choice, and a food runner will run your food out to you. Lots of indoor and outdoor seating.

The interior was designed with the intention of evoking healing & balance, radiant well-being & happiness for all who come... Blessings!

Pros: Healthy cuisine, affordable , excellent food

Very mindful vegan options! - Edit

Lotus cafe sits in the heart of Enconitas right off PCH 101. A wrap around porch with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating allows you to enjoy the wonderful SoCal beach weather over your tofu scramble. The real highlight of this place is how incredibly mindful the menu options are for vegans! Typically, veg options served at omni restaurants are limited and can be vague. The menu of Lotus cafe not only clearly indicates vegan options, but also indicates with a VO if the dish can be made vegan and a HV if you are a honey-eating vegan. (Though radicals would claim it's not vegan at all). Plenty of choices for plant based eaters include breakfast burritos, tofu scramble, and fresh juices. We were there for breakfast but a quick perusal of their lunch and dinner menu showcased a number of vegan options I'm wanting to try on our next visit. Though I admit to reaching for the salt shaker three times for my meal, I like my food heavily seasoned. The walk up counter and self-service area creates a hippie commune vibe but without the weird overbearing stranger suggesting their favorite item for prolific bowel movements. A definite for vegans and heathly omnis alike.

Pros: very clear menu

Lotus Cafe & Juice Bar - Edit

This cafe was real Indian themed and expressed the symbolic importance of the Lotus flower.

Not all dishes are vegan and vegetarian, although most are and you can choose whether you want one of your dishes to be vegan or vegetarian, the menu's have little icons indicating on which dish it is possible to make vegan if preferred. The experience here (1st time) I had and was was quite nice and impressive, considering I never Indian food. Most foods are Indian and some are American dishes such as sandwich's. The average cost of dishes range from %5.00-$7.00

I chose the "Yogi Bliss" which was $7.95. The "Yogi Bliss" was organic tofu sauteed in ginger soy sauce, with organic brown rice and salad. Was a little salty but overall very nice.

I would come back again.

Pros: Good Portions, Clean, Spacious

Very Veggie-Friendly - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and ate here in June 2012. Here's my Lotus Cafe review.

Lotus Cafe decor and menu set up reminds me of the Natural Cafe restaurants up the coast of California (in cities between Ventura and up to San Francisco). The interior is spacious with wooden booth as well as table seating, outdoor seating, large wooden ceiling fans. The theme here is all about the lotus and India.

The menu is extensive with all sorts of casual American foods like wraps, burgers, salads, soups, and main plates - except that the dishes are very vegetarian and vegan friendly and the only meat is fish and poultry, no red meat. Vegetarian and vegan items are all clearly marked.

There is a glass display filled with baked goods including vegan muffins and vegan cupcakes.

I got the Gandhi burger (vegan by substituting mayo for house-made humms - it's spicy), and it came with a side of blue corn chips and salsa. The burger was yummy.

I would definitely come back again. Very relaxed and easy-going vibe. Good prices, too.

Good vegan fare - Edit

I ordered the lentil veggie soup (vegan) and the vegan chocolate-peanut butter cupcake. The soup was okay, possibly a bit underseasoned, but the veggies were tasty and the soup itself was warm and filling. I was very impressed with the cupcake. It was enormous, and only 4$. The frosting was almost cloyingly sweet but the cake was moist and delicious. I'm definitely returning for more!

Pros: Reasonably priced+ many options, Good food, Cool atmosphere

Win Win Situation at Lotus Cafe and Juice Bar - Edit

I'm always looking for new vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurants and this past weekend I stumbled across Lotus Cafe and Juice Bar. I was lured in by the great reviews below and I'm so glad I did. It's a struggle to find a place where I can eat that my boyfriend, a full-on carnivore, enjoys too but we both left with satisfied bellies.
I got the Indian Curry Bowl and added the sauteed tofu. It was so tasty and adding the tofu made it very filling. He got the Chicken Enchiladas and like me didn't leave a crumb on the plate.
Sooo happy we checked this place out! I've got my eye on the Grilled Portobello Sandwich for next time.

Awesome :) - Edit

I went to the Lotus for the first time today and I have to say I really liked it. Now I didn't actually have a main dish but I did have one of their smoothies and vegan carrot cake cupcake! It was amazing! I love carrot cake and this was the best vegan one I have ever had! The staff was very friendly and helpful as well. I am going to have to come back soon to try a dish! Definitely worth trying!

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food, Quick service

Cons: Quite crowded

Wonderful place - Edit

A great place with beautiful food and a happy feel. Almost all the dishes can be made vegan. Nicely decorated and friendly staff.

Pros: great food, good value, friendly staff

Daily Vegan soup. - Edit

I eat here twice a week and I allways get the vegan soup of the day. It comes with a yummy sourdough type multigrain bread wedge that is great for dipping. I also like the carrot, beet celery juice. The atmosphere is very nice a great place to meet friends. Vegan cupcakes! The other items i have tried are very bland especially the Mexican food. But the place is new I'm sure they have things to work out. The best value and flavor is the vegan soup of the day with 1/2 avocado sandwhich - no cheese.

Thank the lotus! - Edit

This is such a gift for our community. The setting is calm, warm and clean like a temple would be. Plus the food is amazing with so many options for vegetarians and vegans. They have Casein-Free soy cheese you can add to anything and delicious vegan salad dressings to use on burgers instead of mayo, I think taste better than mayo. Oh and the veggie chili is the best I have ever had because its not made with TVP only legumes and lots of veggies. They switch their daily soups up so there is always a new vegan and vegetarian soup to try plus specials that change with the seasons. Thank you lotus for feeding our community with light and love!

Love it! - Edit

This is a really great place. Lots of indoor and outdoor seating. Friendly and helpful staff. Wide and varied menu. About half or a little more of the menu is vegetarian, which is nice, and they have some meat also. Wish they didn't have meat at all, but at least they have many veg choices available. The tempeh tacos, chili, and soup were delicious, seemed fresh, and weren't too overpriced. I liked that they had filtered water with lemon available complimentary. They also have a good kid's menu. Will definitely be back here again to try more menu items.

Return to Encinitas Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lotus Cafe and Juice Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3735 times since Sep 2009.