Lost City Diner

• Veg-friendly
Contact 410-547-5678

1730 N Charles St, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 21201

Serves meat, vegan options available. Established Sept 2011, this place has a 30s retro sci-fi theme. Menu of traditional American diner fare and fountain treats include some vegan choices like shakes and sundaes, meatball subs, burgers, BLTs, and stuffed peppers. Re-opened in Apr 2013 after brief closure. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, BYOB, Non-veg

First Review by NIBsmf

Okay, but overrated - Edit

First of all, this is diner food, which I generally avoid at this point in my life. Back when Lost City was in the process of opening (then closing, then reopening, it was quite a saga...), I was pretty excited, mainly about the vegan ice cream treats, which are still near-impossible to come by at Baltimore restaurants. Seriously, when is someone going to open a vegan soft-serve joint? Still waiting on that. Anyway, the vegan food at Lost City is decidedly unhealthy: fried food, mock meats, etc. The fact that the owner shut down Zodiac next door in part to focus on this joint still burns me up. Zodiac was so good! And the food was much better, with much healthier options. That place was the perfect balance of casual and upscale ambiance-- a restaurant where a vegan couple could take their meat-eating parents for a nice dinner and everyone would be equally pleased with their delicious, inventive meals (including dessert!). Zodiac is near the top of the list of restaurants I miss most in Baltimore.

But I digress...

Going to Lost City is an experience. But the food is unfortunately not the primary component of that experience. I've also encountered poor service, messed up orders, and unadvertised stock-outs of food. It's usually very busy. Last time my girlfriend and I went we were jammed in on stools at the already packed counter. The time before that we were seated at a tiny table in the middle with wait staff constantly squeezing by on both sides. Honestly, if you can't get a booth, it might not be worth going at all during peak hours.

Pros: vegan ice cream treats, cool retro outer space theme

Cons: uncomfortable when busy, mediocre food, spotty service

A must-go! - Edit

This place is AWESOME. They have a ton of vegan options and the menu. I ordered the onion rings, a burger with daya cheese and a vanilla milk-shake. I left the place full as hell.

Pros: a lot of vegan options, delicious stuff

Over Priced and Very Fried - Edit

Convenient to the Charles Theatre. Friendly and prompt staff, nice and fun atmosphere. Many vegan foods over priced. A lot of fried, ready things, breakfast menu, ice creams.

Pros: friendly staff, interesting decor, convenient

Cons: overpriced, too fried

Loved all the vegan options - Edit

We were in Baltimore a few weekends ago for a show and visited the Lost City Diner. I was with my mother and sister, who are both meat-eaters. They both seemed to enjoy their meals as well.

Since I was in the mood for something horrible for me, I got a fried vegan chik'n sandwich. They used what seemed to be Gardein patty, but with a delicious crispy breading. I asked for the chipotle horseradish sauce instead of veganaise, which was deliciously spicy and tangy.

I also got a vegan ice cream soda with strawberry seltzer. I wished they had strawberry vegan ice cream but were unfortunately out. The soda was still good.

My only complaint, if I needed to have one, is that there were only two servers there for the whole (albeit tiny restaurant). Initially it was fine because we had an early lunch, but as it got busier the servers really had to hustle. In addition to serving everyone in the restaurant, they had to make the ice cream shakes. They did what they could, but it seemed like they might get swamped and service might slow down.

Pros: Tons of vegan options, Vegan desserts!, Awesome sci-fi theme

Cons: Only two servers for the whole place!!!

Lost City Diner - OPEN - Edit

While in Baltimore over the weekend we were looking for a place for lunch. Searching Happy Cow I found a listing for Lost City Diner which was in the area where we wanted but the listing said it said Closed. I googled it and found it was open again so after calling to confirm we went. What a cool place for the eye-candy decor along - art deco/sci-fi. Some Vegan meals and some that can become Vegan. They also have a great juice/milk shake bar. The Vegan BLT was wonderful but I wished I requested Whole Wheat Bread. Onion Rings are above average. So is the wait staff, friendly and attentive.

Pros: Vegan options, Decor, Freindly Staff

Cons: Would like to see more Vegan meals, They are still working out reopening

Love it! - Edit

Food: 10! Both times I went to Lost City Diner I got the vegan meatball sandwich... I got it the second time after loving it so much the first time! I got fries the first time, which were good but nothing out of the ordinary. I got vegan Tuscan bean soup the second time instead of the fries, and the soup was delicious. I was disappointed during my first visit that they had run out of soy ice cream and thus could not make me a vegan milkshake, but the second time there I was able to get one... a tasty strawberry one! The people I went with (both fellow veg*ns and non) all reported liking their food, too. Vegan food is clearly labeled, and there are several choices.

Price: 8. While I find the $8 for the meatball sandwich and fries a great price, some of the other stuff is a bit pricey (e.g. $4.50 for a mini milkshake, $7 for a full size milkshake, and $9 for vegan apple cake).

Atmosphere: 10. I'm a horror/sci-fi geek, so I find the sci-fi decor awesome.

Service: 8. Very very friendly staff, but a bit slow.

Updated from previous review on Sunday October 09, 2011: I have gone back to Lost City Diner a few times since this review, and I LOVE this place! I have now also tried the VLT (fake bacon sandwich), other vegan soups, and vegan milkshakes... all amazing! I still stand by my only complaint being slow service, but I think it's improving.

Pros: Great selection of veg*n food, Decent prices, Quirky and fun decor

Cons: Slow service

Return to Baltimore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lost City Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2818 times since Sep 2011.