Los Vegetarianos

• Vegetarian
Contact 55216880

Avenida Francisco I. Madero 56 (at Centro Historico Ciudad), Mexico City, Mexico, 06000

Located on the 3rd floor on a busy street in the city center with plenty of seating. Offers a variety of salads, Mexican food, soups, and more with vegan options. A menu of the day costs around 90 pesos.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Mexican

First Review by tsmith6

okay - Edit

super busy, bad service, not many vegan options, ran out of almost everything by 5pm. gave me cows milk instead of soy milk and I got sick. not vegan friendly, try another place, go to LA Roma or LA condesa

Pros: vegetarian options but confusing what is vegan or

Cons: not vegan, not knowledgeable

not a lot of choice for vegans - Edit

I was really excited to find this restaurant but there weren't a lot of options for vegans. I had papas francesa (French fries) and a sandwich roll with fake meat and veg. the food was tasty and seating area nice to look out on to the street but getting up the stairs was a bit of an issue so no good if you can't make the stairs as no other access that I could see.

Pros: some vegan choices, peaceful

Cons: stairs, lack of vegan specific options

Tasty food and very busy place - Edit

We had lunch here and got the set menu. It was extremely busy and we could barely get a table. The food was very fresh and tasty It was only 75 pesos for the set menu or around $100 if you upgrade and get the dessert and an extra course. I had an apple croquette that was very good, it wasn't considered a dessert, but came as a regular menu item. My spouse got an avocado stuffed with seitan/vegetables that was also pretty good. Overall, the food was good and it was a good price. Very clean place. I don't think anyone spoke English though nor did I see an English menu.

At least there are some vegan options - Edit

The vegan options in the Centro Historico are quite limited. We ran across Los Vegetarianos on our first day here, and we were really hungry, so we gave it a try.

The food was average, though the 3-color salad was pretty good. The portions were small, but they gave us plenty of bread.

All the vegan-friendly restaurants seem to be in Colonia Roma. If you can't get there and you're exploring the Centro Historico, this is an okay option.

Pros: Location, Plentiful fruit water

Cons: Average food, Small portions

Delicious and beautiful - Edit

Dinner last night at Los Vegetarianos was fantastic. We had a little table right next to an open window over looking the busy pedestrian street below. The service was efficient and friendly. There was a live pianist playing Mexican pop covers which was very fun. We had the set menu, it included a creamy "caesar" salad, a hot or cold soup (we got one of each, the cold mango soup was delicious). Main course was a choice of 2 out of 4 options. I got tostadas covered in tangy mushrooms and a mixed vegetable fillet covered in a sweet and spicy sauce. We finished with poached guava for dessert, yum! It was a lot of food, so go hungry. We were so satisfied we may go back again tonight.

Not a very good experience - Edit

I had dinner there a few days ago and i was quite disappointed. The 2 waiters who served me did not know what was vegan or could be made vegan on the menu, obviously very little. They did not even know the composition of the sauces in the pastas. I finally ask for spaguettis with tomato sauce and a green soup as it seems the only thing they can make vegan. They brought me penne with cheese and cream in the soup. The owner (or manager) sees that and take everything back to the kitchen. She proposes to add mushrooms to my pasta, which I agree to happily. Finally they bring me the soup without cream. But it seems someone just spilled the whole bottle of salt in it and I can't eat it despite willing to. The padta comes and I understand why they brought penne the first time: it seems they did not have enough spaguettis so they mixed it with flat linguinis. The tomato sauce is a broth from tomato concentrate in can. No sight of a mushroom. Plus the portion is ridiculously small. I just thought I should have cooked myself a good plate of pasta with real tomatoes, finished my papaya juice and ran away.

Pros: Location, Kind staff, Papaya juice

Cons: The food, The service, The Unprofessionalism

the blandest food I have ever eaten - Edit

I went here after hiking Teotihuacan and so I was parched and hungry and they sat me down with someone else, a Mex. City emo kid who scrolled through his phone the whole time and ignored me. Everyone else was drinking juice and after being ignored for a long time I flagged down the waiter begging for food. I ordered something called "El Vegano" because while I can speak Spanish, I don't always understand what is what. Turns out the Vegano was: a slice of hot tofu with no taste, a sad tomato slice, some limp lettuce. There were also french fries which were decent and some tasteless steamed veggies. I asked for water, and they brought me a bottle, so I flagged down the manager and asked to have what others were having: some delicious fruit/water. Apparently it is only part of the "set menu" and otherwise you don't get any water: AT A RESTAURANT. Mind you I was seated with a stranger, someone was banging out horrid Christmas tunes, and the restaurant was really loud and crowded. I again had to beg for my bill and went to pay. When the aformentioned manager asked me how everything was I basically said, "The food was horrible- I ate it because I was hungry but I felt like I just ate a bag of packing peanuts" and she did not let me pay. Overall a really sad experience, which is deeply disappointing because I searched this place out and was really excited about it. :(

Pros: central location, at least vegetarian, better than nothing

Cons: vegan selection is a joke, it's loud! , packed to the gills and not in a good wa

Don't waste your time and your money - Edit

Thank you Lonely Planet for mentioning this place! We still can't believe this restaurant was listed: the food is really bad: no flavours, small portions (you'll buy something once in the street to fill you up), useless staff.
Just looking at the food in your plate tells you the story.

Cons: bland, poor quality, small portions

High Hopes, Terrible Food Experience - Edit

I had high hopes for this restaurant. It turns out they had no idea what vegan meant. There was not a single vegan option on the menu but I was assured they would gladly omit any cheese, egg or dairy products.

When I received my food I literally bit into a stuffing that consisted of a tablespoon of boiled potato with no flavor. They didn't actually attempt to put something into the food that might replace all the cheese, they just delivered a tasteless dish.

I obviously didn't try anything else or return to this place, though judging by the taste of what I was given, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the vegetarian options either.

Pros: Central Location

Cons: No Vegan Options, Tasteless Food

Not great for vegans - Edit

Nice place, located very centrally. If you're a vegetarian you're all set. But if you're vegan the options are pretty limited. They'll make the vegetarian food vegan but it's not great.

Pros: Good location, Totally vegetarian, English menu

Cons: Not really vegan, Food a little bland

Conveniently located and a fluoride-free kitchen - Edit

I ordered Guacamole and carrot juice for about $50. They use sea salt. Their portions are small but the location is central and the value is okay. Live music. Okay service.

Pros: No fluoridated salt used in kitchen, Central location, Quiet atmosphere

Cons: Small portions, No brown rice, White flour is used in some meals

bland food, mandatory tip - Edit

Was surprised to find not many vegan options. I was feeling under the weather when we visited, so I ordered the garlic soup hoping to boost my immune system. It was not very garlicky, but its blandness was fine for my queasy stomach at the time. The waiter was not very friendly, and at the end of our meal we discovered that a mandatory tip had been added to our bill - and we were only a party of three. Overall, not a good experience.

Pros: some vegan options, table by window overlooks street

Cons: few vegan options, disgruntled waitstaff, bland food

Return to Mexico City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Los Vegetarianos closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2182 times since Dec 2013.