Los Barbados

Contact 81334967157

104 Papier Bldg, 41-26 Udagawa-cho (at Shibuya), Tokyo, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Middle Eastern and African cuisine with some veg choices like falafel, vegetarian mezze, and couscous. Vegans to specify no dairy. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Tue-Sun 12:00am-12:00am.

Category: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Middle Eastern, Arabic, African, Non-veg

First Review by Sianspheric

Fresh and flavoursome! - Edit

We arrived early (530pm) on a Saturday night to this tiny restaurant and the very friendly Japanese cook / owner (the only staff member) let us know she had lots of reservations for the night but we could stay until 630, we obliged.
The menu clearly states (colour coded) what is vegan so it was easy to make our selection. All of the meals are made in front of you while you watch, the chef is a great master of juggling multiple meals while welcoming new guests and even answering the phone!
To start, we chose the mez style plate to share (medium) with pita bread as a side. This dish was amazing! The ingredients incredibly fresh and the pita seemed homemade, so fluffy!
Next was the veggie spring rolls which were different to what we were expecting but still delicious.
The lentil curry was next and although we had been warned this was very spicy by the chef, we decided to take the risk. I am so glad we did! The spicyness was perfect, the flavours intense and this was by far my favourite dish of the night. An absolute winner!
Lastly was the pizza (which isn't a traditional pizza) which was my partners favourite dish of the night.
We also had 2 beers each but had to move along due to the lingering couple awaiting our departure.
We were very grateful for the food and service and would recommend this restaurant for those visiting Tokyo. Be sure to call ahead and make a booking though!

Culinary feast in Shibuya. FIVE stars, not four!! - Edit

This is where I had probably the best dinner since going vegan 3 1/2 years ago, outside my own home.

Los Barbados isn’t a vegan or vegetarian restaurant per se but large parts of its menu are, and they are clearly marked. To call this a "restaurant" is perhaps misguiding: this is a hole in the wall in an inconvenient backstreet in Shibuya that seats at most eight people. But the food, mostly African, is the bomb, a feast, a culinary celebration. We ate almost everything vegan on the menu and would have ordered it all again if our stomachs hadn’t called for time out. I’d like to point out highlights but that’s impossible since everything was a highlight. That said, if pressed, I would pick the appetizer platter (Matzah), Nbika (slices of pâté made from seeds), the Moroccan spring roll, the vegan cheese platter, and the Gâteau au Chocolat. The two chefs make everything themselves, including the cheese, the falafel, harissa, hummus etc. The drinks menu is also well diversified, both the alcoholic and non-alcoholic parts of it. Hard to believe all this can be done in such a tiny place. This is a most welcome challenge to the standardized tastes served up in so many traditional vegan places around Tokyo. It *is* possible to do so much better!! Reservations accepted, English spoken.

This is hard to find, by the way. It's in a narrow back alley and I doubt a taxi could drop you off directly in front of it. It's in an old building with a narrow corridor on the ground floor that has several other eateries and pubs in it. Outside the building a lit directory lists all the places but Los Barbados is only listed in katakana. However, it is closest to the entrance to the building. A phone call may be necessary to get someone to find you.

Happycow does not allow 5-star reviews for non-veg restaurants so that's why there are no 5-star reviews here.

Pros: Explosion of tastes, Nice drinks menu, too , Nice team in the kitchen

Cons: Very small and cramped

Good food but portions are a bit small - Edit

This is a tiny place and can be very crowded in which case you have to wait for your food quite a while. It was really tasty in the end but the portions left us hungry.

Cozy African/Middle Eastern food - Edit

The guy who runs the place is really friendly, and his food is good, too. Lots of vegan options. The owner/cook was even kind enough to point out that the creamy dip was made from soy before I needed to ask.

Don't miss this place!

Pros: Thoughtful and accommodating, Tasty, Cozy

Cons: Small venue

Friendly and cozy - Edit

This place is a bit hard to find and isn't very spacey, but has great dishes! The dishes are mainly decorated with various fresh and raw vegetables. Best thing about it here is that all the dishes were 850yen! (it could be just for lunch time though) I live the atmosphere, with all the african decorations and various souvenirs on the walls. Be careful with choosing the dishes, because not all of them are veg dishes! Probably it is better to ask the owner before you make your order.

Pros: fresh, raw vegetable centered dishes , reasonable price

Cons: tricky to find, not so roomy

Warm. As it has to be for an African restaurant - Edit

Very homy bar, accessible from small alley, ideal for rainy days and dark evenings to warm up your belly and heart.

Food is very rich, well spiced. I go there when feeling particularly hungry, otherwise would be a bit too much. Actually if you prefer less cooked and lighter food, this is not a first place to go..

No matter very tight intimate space, feels ok to dine alone.
I couldn't help not chatting with owners wife which is very friendly. Her husband, the owner, cooks at the day time, and he is usually very into what he does.

Pros: Food, Owners

Cons: might need to wait in a line for lunch

Awesome spot, great decor. Vegan and Non-Veg food - Edit

Loved Los Barbados.

Really nice little spot near Shibuya. Only about 7-8 seats and a bit hidden away but glad we went there for our final dinner in Tokyo.

My girlfriend is Vegan and I am Non-Vegetarian so sometimes that presents some challanges for us, but I love a good vegan meals and Los Barbados delivered.

We had a really nice spicy Daal, a veggie plate with falafel balls, veg, hummous, veggie kababs (?), we split two homemade veggie burger patties (very unique and tasty), a delicious desert too.

Food and drinks were a bit pricy (but that's common in Tokyo) and the portions were not very big (at least by North American vegan restaurant standards).

But the quality of the meal itself was excellent.

Los Barbados itself has great atomosphere for a small place, the owner/chef is into African music and culture so there are lots of African posters and souveniers around, really makes the place feel unique and special and warm.

The menu also did have some meat/fish items for non-vegetarians, as well as plenty of vegetarian and vegan options.

Pros: Delicious and inventive vegan food, Great atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: A bit expensive, small portions , Not a lot of seating, bit hard to find, Smoking allowed inside

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Los Barbados closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.