Lord of the Fries

Contact 1300667552

Shop 7, 537 George St, Sydney, New South Wales, 2000

Vegetarian fast food and takeaway with multiple outlets. Menu offers burgers, hot dogs, nuggets, and onion rings as well as chips with a variety of sauces. Mostly vegan. Limited seating. Open Mon-Fri 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Sun 10:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-4:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Neridah

Great fast food - Edit

I've had lots of their burgers, chips, onion rings and vegan chicken nuggets. All have been yummy! They have a huge variety of sauces for their chips! It's all takeaway, no seating.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-04

All-vegetarian fast food is a great step forward! - Edit

As an American, I am terribly jealous of Aussies who have this all-vegetarian fast food chain, which is also mostly vegan!

I got a takeaway vegan meal from the George Street location on October 18, during a short stay in Sydney - and everything looked and tasted so good that I ordered and ate way more food than I normally do! I had a peanut butter soy/almond milkshake; Parma burger with veg chick'n patty, soy bacon and Napoli sauce; and classic fries with Aussie sauce.

On the day I was there, the staff seemed quite clear on vegan vs. vegetarian, and on how to veganize menu items that would normally be just vegetarian. The one possible exception is the "natural flavoring" in the ingredient list for many menu items: in the United States that term can include many types of animal products; I'm not sure about Australia.

Pros: tasty food, a rare all-vegetarian fast food chain, fun name and concept

Cons: no seating, natural flavoring many not be veg?

very confused - Edit

I went to Lord of the Fries George St as I was told they had vegan food. The menu had a note 100% veg, halal, kosher, however the menu items listed ingredients such as beef and cheese. The only item listed as having a vegan option was a special edition milkshake. I was not able to clarify with the staff as they weren't able to understand me when I asked and even got my name wrong.
There was nowhere to sit and eat and people had to line up on the street, which since it is currently undergoing major roadworks, was highly inconvenient.
I ended up with a 'munch box' which was marketed as a side but was enough for three meals. The chips were jacketed, which also wasn't listed on the menu or shown in the picture.

Cons: vegan options not clear, no seating

exploiting workers is not ethical - Edit

lord of the fries is a fast food chain, it operates like a fast food chain. it employs workers on precarious working contracts and relies on employing young cheap workers in the holidays. the food is loaded full of chemicals. I ate here four times in two weeks after my friend was working for the chain and could give me free food (she was very mistreated by the chain, so were her colleagues). after my fourth meal I had a pain in my heart followed by a full day and night of anxiety (I never get anxious). vegabism is about more than products which don't kill or exploit animals for milk dairy and eggs. it is also about treating humans fairly and not reproducing structures of oppression. lord of the fries is the typical business which exploits workers, denies them rights, produces toxic food, markets themselves as ethical, but in reality exist to profit. they are the epitome of a neoliberal capitalist organisation and have no place in a social justice movement. vegan products does not = ethical. i tried to give this restaurant 1 star, but happy cow says the minimum can be 2 stars for a vegan/vegetarian restaurant. just because a restaurant is vegan does not mean it should be protected from strong criticism.

vegetarian fast food - Edit

for those of you missing out on fast food here is the place for you. A completely vegetarian fast food restaurant with vegan options and alternatives.

Pros: relatable to "normal" fast food options, r

Cons: it is still fast food so I wouldn't recommend

Veg friendly fast food - Edit

Vegetarian versions of fast food favourites - burgers, hotdogs, nuggets, onion rings, shakes, sauces and fries.

Go for the fries! The fries with dipping sauce is where it's at.

My fave: A munch box with onion rings, fries and Parisian sauce.

Also offers limited edition burgers and sauces each month.

Pros: Veg-friendly versions of fast food favourites, Convenient location, Gluten-free options

Cons: No seating

Caution? - Edit

Cons:
- When I asked about which of their burgers were Vegan, I was not even given a reply! Got an unwelcome expression as if I annoyed them. If that's their attitude let them not say they'll happily take request for a vegan meal
- Only take away, no place to eat like even a food court nearby
- There was a slimy white sauce mixed with a tomato based one, makes me wonder if it was Mayo though I explicitly said Vegan? Are they so unhappy to serve Vegans?
- Finally, the large or big burger was so small, wonder what would be the size of their mini-burger? In fact I was not even asked which size I wanted, and was billed for a big which ended up being too small

Pros:
- Have to admit despite the smaller size the burger tasted so good
- So were their nuggets, a unique and amazing taste

was NOT impressed - Edit

I know it's a fast food joint but it was just too unhealthy.. burgers tasted bland and smothered in oil.. the milkshake was actually HORRIBLE..and the fries were unmemorable .. sorry but won't be returning

Pros: all vegan which is great

Cons: nothing really tasted that good

Tasted overly processed and bland - Edit

3 of us tried and shared a variety of burgers, chips and sauces. Tasted overly processed and bland to us, and we all had upset tummies after. Much prefer Soul Burger for quality, taste and freshness

Addictive - Edit

The burgers, nuggets and chips here are amazing; if you're craving junk food this is the best place to come. There can occasionally be queues if you visit at a busy time, but I've never been disappointed here.

Awesome! - Edit

Heard of this place many times over the years and was excited to finally try it. We were super impressed. Not everything is vegan, but just ask the employees.

We went several times to various locations and enjoyed everything we tried. My favorite was the parmigiana sandwich.

Pros: No meat, Vegan fast food

Cons: Could easily make everything vegan

Vegan fast food - Edit

It is so great to have LOTF for fast food with lots of vegan friendly options!
I also love that this place so easily draws in so many non-veg eating people! Most of my non-veg friends actually choose LOTF over other fast food chains!

My favourites are the Parma Burger, chkn nugget snack box and either the gravy or BBQ sauce!

Pros: Lots of Vegan options, Delicious fast food, A great option for non-veg friends

Cons: No seating, A little Expensive

fast food for vegetarians and vegans - Edit

It's great that vegetarians and vegans have a fast food chain for quick, greasy food when they feel like it! Sweet potato chips are good (but maybe hold off on the sauce as it gets a bit too soggy) and the peanut butter chocolate soy shake is nice too

Crueslty free fast food - Edit

Hands down the best shoestring fries in Sydney! A great selection of vegan and gluten free sauces as well.

The staff are excellent with all the allergens and even have a detailed chart Incase you want to check yourself. It's also on the website Incase you want to look in advance as well.

I highly recommend the spicy burger!
The gluten free buns are exceptional and hold their shape really well.

Pros: Great value for money , A large selection of vegan sauces

Cons: No seating -only take away

awesome food - Edit

a great place for when you are in the mood for some delicious fatty foods. I would recommend the original/spicy/chicken or the new guru if you are into veggie burgers that dont imitate meat and with your chips indian sauce is a must, one of the best sauces ive ever had. the poutine burger and the fake bacon is pretty gross so dont get that. the people there were lovely, one girl made a couple of mistakes but in those situations you can either get mad or laugh about it. I decided to just have a laugh and the girl fixed the problem no worry. make sure you specifically ask for the burger to be vegan and then they will give you vegan cheese and mayo. no seating but that isn't a con its just a little takeaway fast food place i dont know what people expect.

Pros: great food, great people

Cons: the fake bacon is pretty gross

I knew what I was expecting, but this was pretty average - Edit

I have been to Lord of the Fries in Melbourne, so I knew not to expect a 'wholesome' meal. But the food was much better at the Melbs Restaurant.
For the quality we got here in Sydney it needed to be half the price to be acceptable.

Pros: fast friendly service during rush hour

Cons: overpriced for quality of food, small size for a 'big' burger / 'large' fries

Lord of the fries- Central station, Sydney - Edit

If you consider that it's fast food, it is a few dollars more expensive than McDonalds and other fast food joints. Almost everything here can be made vegan, with the exception of some breakfast meals and the nacho cheese. I really enjoyed the burgers I tried at Lord of the Fries

Extremely poor and disappointing - Edit

This is a copy of what I wrote on tripadvisor, yet still stands true for my disappointing experience.

I was really looking forward to trying the food here. I had read the stories, the reviews...
Anyway, I finally found them Actually the "being totally vegetarian and meat free" thing was hard to see. I had to study the signs many times. Even then, I could not see (I admit, I was jetlagged and tired). I finally went to ask the girl at the counter if they were vegetarian? Her response? "That should be obvious"
Anyway, I ordered a hot-dog and fries. The special sauce was out of stock, so I made second choices.
My wife and I had to travel 20 minutes to get to our hotel before we ate.
At that time we discovered that the fries were soggy and lifeless. The sauce was so-so, but nothing special. The hot-dog was ok, at least the frankfurter and sauce was, but the bread was just average.

All in all, very disappointing

I am not sure if I would ever go back there again

Pros: location

Cons: service, taste

Lord of the Fries is #1 - Edit

It might not be instantly apparent, but everything at this hamburger shop is vegetarian. The food is really tasty too. I ordered a burger with fries, and at first I thought it was not enough in the bag for my lunch. Actually it was a very good serving size. Recommend highly!

Pros: Yummy food, Quick and easy

Cons: Price is slightly high, No seating area

A Melbourne Icon at Home in Sydney - Edit

As a regular at the LOTF stores in Melbourne, I had to give the Sydney store a try out. I wasn't disappointed. On busy George Street, LOTF offers the same fast food convenience as it's Melbourne counterparts. The menu isn't as clearly labelled as the Brunswick Street store in Fitzroy, so I'm not sure if they have all the same options. I couldn't find the onion rings on the menu, but we got them when we ordered, so I assume they were there. There was nowhere to eat in, but most LOTF stores are take out, so this was no issue.
We grabbed some burgers, chips and onions rings then headed off to eat in a local park. The burgers were fantastic, onion rings awesome, but we got the chunky fries as I hadn't seem them at the other stores. Not a good choice though…they were a bit stale and looked 'old'. Everything else was fresh and delicious. :D

Pros: Fast, convenient, cheap, In a great location, Burgers are fresh

Cons: Nowhere to sit and eat, Menu not as clear, Chunky fries weren't fresh

Tongue says yes, body says no. - Edit

Finally in Sydney. No more longing to go to Melbourne just for a junk food fix.

It's sorta like this: Every time I finish eating from here I feel like crap and think "Why did I do that again?" But I keep going back.

Hands down the best onion rings I've ever had. Sadly the satay sauce is no longer; I thought it was the best.

Vegans make sure to ask for vegan versions else you'll get vegetarian muck thrown in.

Take-out only. In the cinema district.

Pros: Strictly junk food

Cons: Strictly junk food, A bit pricey

Great vegan junk food - Edit

LotF is a walk-in fast food place, with all of the burgers able to be made vegan. The burgers are delightfully fatty and greasy as you'd expect from a fast food - just like the omni version, only ethical. They also serve hotdogs and chips with a variety of tasty sauces.

Pros: Authentic fast food , open late, visible prep area

Cons: No seating

Return to Sydney Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lord of the Fries closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4274 times since Sep 2013.