Lord of the Fries - Melbourne Central

• Vegetarian

Vegetarian fast food and takeaway franchise with multiple outlets. Menu offers burgers, hot dogs, nuggets and onion rings, as well as chips with a variety of sauces. Limited seating.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Western, Fast food, Take-out, Kosher

First Review by chickodoo

Disappointing milkshake - Edit

This was my first time purchasing from this LOTF. I've eaten at others, and have always ended up regretting it. However, I was in the city late. I had earlier seen a sign, in a different LOTF shop advertising The Lords Shake, and for some reason I was craving one, badly. I overrode the voice of previous experience. I wanted a vegan cookies and cream milkshake!

First up, the staff member who served me was lovely.

The shake itself certainly wasn't bad, it just wasn't particularly good either. Firstly, there wasn't enough ice-cream in it. For the price, I was expecting a good thick shake, instead it had all the body of one made entirely on soymilk, even though I know there was soy ice-cream in it. Secondly, the oreos were overblended - I've had awesome cookies and cream shakes in the past, and part of the idea is to actually have recognisable lumps of cookie in it - so that you need an oversized straw. If it's thoroughly blended in, then it's just a chocolate milkshake that happens to have cookies as an ingredient, not really cookies and cream at all.

I think I'm cured of thinking that LOTF is a good idea for at least the next 6 months...

Pros: Friendly staff, Lots of vegan options

Cons: It never lives up to expectation

Very Impressed! - Edit

I have been to Lord of the Fries many times before between Melbourne & Sydney but have tried to avoid it since being gluten intolerant. However, they now do gluten free and the staff really know what they are talking about. The first day I went and the guy looked everything up on their chart to make sure it was all gf & the second day I went the girl even mentioned how one burger was completely gluten free & the other may contain traces of gluten. This is very impressive for a fast food joint!

Anyway, the food is just like eating a vegan maccas, so it's no gourmet but it definitely hits the spot!! (make sure you say you want it all vegan, otherwise it will be just veggo)...Fries are delish! I would like it if they had more salad on the burgers.

Pros: Good knowledge of GF , Reasonably priced, Great service

Cons: Not so healthy, Not much salad on burgers

You'll feel super naughty - Edit

It's fast food. It's exactly like fast food, too. It's so good you'll want to double-check it's vegan! I felt like - omg this is so good and fast-foodie that I don't think I should finish it - but I'm gonna!!! :D

Pros: Good price, Fast service

Cons: Tricky to find

cheap and nasty - Edit

Was really looking forward to our meal here. Got the vegan option burgers, which didn't seem much different than an mc'd burgers. The fries were burnt and seemed like they were left overs from the day before. Can't say I will be in a rush to get back here

Pros: cheap

Cons: nasty

Convenient (but not always) Fast Food - Edit

The food is awesome if you are vegan and have the desire to eat fast food burgers. That alone has major novelty value for me. I'm not big on the veggie patty, it's rather mushy and the chicken is rather tasteless. The LOTF patty is very good as are the nuggets. This branch seems to be a bit slower than the others, I've waited over 20mins before (despite being the first order on the board when I arrived) when I thought I'd grab something on my way to get a train. Though now I've gotten over the novelty value I do try to avoid it most of the time as no matter how good quality their oil (and whatever else) it is still junk food.

Junk Food Fix - Edit

I visited Lord of the Fries for the first time yesterday, after wanting to for awhile after reading about it on here. I went to the one in Melbourne Central.. which I found slightly hard to find (but I'm not from the city so that may be why). It was a small, open fronted eatery with about 4 little tables with stools. I lined up and was served quickly by a slightly unenthusiastic guy. Reading the menu briefly I decided on the mini Big Mark burger with the sampler fries and vegan satay sauce. I chose the Big Mark burger because as first glance it appeared to have the most salads in it. I kicked myself silently after I ordered because I forgot to mention that I wanted the wholemeal bun but figured I was going to be this naughty so why not go the whole way? The food was cooked quite quickly, my name called up and the chef double checking which sauce I wanted to which he squeezed it on the chips out of a large bottle (I was hoping for my own little tub of it to dip). The mini burger lived up to its name in that it was quite mini, but I got a good amount of fries. The fries were amazing, very fresh and crunchy. I couldn't really fault them. The sauce was good too, I'm not a huge sauce fan other than simple tomato or BBQ but the satay made a nice change. The burger was good.. I was wrapt in it simply for the fact that it was 100% vegan (including cheese), but I'm not a huge processed food eater so I'm probably not the best critic. It had the typical take-out massed produced look and taste to it, but hey, its VEGAN! YAHOOO! I'll definitely be going back, making sure to drag my carnivore boyfriend with me to prove that you don't need to be eating dead stuff to get a good junk food fix.

Pros: AMAZING fries, good amount of vegan options, well priced

Cons: Wouldn't mind a salad option

Return to Melbourne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lord of the Fries - Melbourne Central closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2017 times since Aug 2011.